Thread: 2007 Gibson F-9 - who's the master luthier?

Default 2007 Gibson F-9 - who's the master luthier?

Hi all! I just acquired a beautiful 2007 F-9 Gibson mandolin in vintage brown sunburst. It was used of course but is in great condition.

I am trying to figure out if it was produced under Dave Harvey or not. I realize that's a little OCD of me, but I really have a deep respect for Mr. Harvey and would be honored to have a mandolin produced under his guidance, even though it isn't signed by anyone as it's just a lowly F9.

I called Gibson with the serial number and they could only confirm the year 2007 and some other basic information, and told me that they switched master luthiers that year and couldn't be specific about who was at the helm when this mando was made.

Anyone able to help me solve this? I'd be happy to provide a different picture, serial # etc at your request. just let me know what you need!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	152104
    Last edited by NJmando; Dec-12-2016 at 12:10pm.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: 2007 Gibson F-9 - who's the master luthier?

Give me the complete serial# and I can confirm if Dave Harvey was in charge....he started signing mandolins in mid-2007; which would approx at least by July...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

It is 70604010

70604010 = June 4, 2007, 1st one completed that day.

5. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

Jeez, I guess there's no way to know since its so close to the middle of the year, probably not Harvey though. Thanks

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJmando View Post
    Jeez, I guess there's no way to know since its so close to the middle of the year, probably not Harvey though. Thanks
    It's hard to say; if you're on Facebook, go to Dave Harvey's page and ask him if he remember's the month he formally was promoted to head of the mandolin division. The 2007 Gibsons I've played have all been good btw; enjoy your mando!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel