Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case of the missing Case

Default Case of the missing Case

I was in the market for a new case for my Northfield NF 5M. After reading some reviews about Ameritage, I decided to take the plunge. The address for the company is in Wisconsin and I called the toll free number and spoke with their representative. I was told to look at their website, select a color for the exterior and one for the interior. After that I was quoted a price for a "custom" case. I agreed, and was told to download a Mandolin Measuring Instruction form, measure my mandolin, do a trace drawing of it and send it to them.
    After making the required 50% deposit, I mailed the items needed to start production. I was told it would take about two months.
    The mailing address was a P. O. Box in Miami, which is opened once per week, then the contents are sent to Costa Rica.
    Three months later, with no contact from Ameritage, I called inquiring about the status of my "custom" case. I was told the engineers had not gotten to it yet. I informed them I would just like a refund. Their representative said they would gladly give the refund. The next day, miracle of all miracles, engineering was working on my case. It would take about two weeks for it to get to the states and I would be given a tracking number. I then paid the balance for my "custom" case.
    After calling Ameritage again, I was informed the "container" had arrived in the port of Baltimore on Wednesday and would be shipped to my home on Thursday with tracking number. A week later I had not received a tracking number, case or any contact from Ameritage.
    I placed another email to them and was informed that the "container" had been randomly selected by US Customs and there would be a delay.
    I am now looking at four months still no tracking number, case or update from Ameritage on when I will get my "custom" case.
    They may build great cases, but their customer service is certainly lacking.

Default Re: Case of the missing Case

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. But I wonder why you didn't just get a case from Northfield (their "airloom" case) for your Northfield mando?

A 'standard' Ameritage case ''off the shelf'' would have workled fine :- http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando...CaseAME80.html The Silver series case is especially good value. It's the same as the Gold series,but without the humidity 'thingy',which in most cases,are a bit dubious anyway (IMHO).

As sblock says,you could have ordered a Northfield case for your NF mandolin & they also provide a case cover for it nowadays.

Hopefully,your case will arrive in due time, & believe me,having fallen victim to such situations a couple of times myself,you have my deepest sympathy,
    Ivan
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ameritage Silver series case..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	153041
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The problem with "the humidity thingy", as Ivan puts it, is that it more or less fills the case compartment leaving no room for a spare set of strings - fortunately I don't need such a thing in the UK and there is room for a couple of spare sets beneath the mandolin body itself.

I owned a yellow-tweed Ameritage rectangular case, ordered I believe from the company, no issue in delivery. Picture is similar to Ivan's above. This was quite some time ago. It sported a (proprietary?) suspension system inside the case which, although interesting and effective in supporting the instrument, I found to be somewhat clunky and 'cheap' looking. The 2 front clasps were the type you see on some attache cases, each having a 3-digit spin wheel lock mechanism. I had a Small Dog made for it. Despite that it was handsome and solid, I prefer the Airloom.

Best of luck resolving this sticky-sounding situation.

I am now looking at four months still no tracking number, case or update from Ameritage on when I will get my "custom" case.
    They may build great cases, but their customer service is certainly lacking.[/QUOTE]

Billruns, I can only imagine you want to say more than "lacking" !
    Sounds like a bunch of hurry up and get put off.
    Sorry your going through that, thanks for the heads up.
    " Practice every time you get a chance." - Bill Monroe

Ivan
    That case looks like a 70's Gibson case

I have an Ameritage banjo case. About as solid as it gets for a wooden-type case.

One thing you should realize -- you need a strong arm to lug these around.
    They're heavy!

9. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

From AMandolin - "That case looks like a 70's Gibson case". Why do you say that ?. I honestly wouldn't know a 70's Gibson case if i fell over one. The 'Silver' Ameritage case is a less expensive version of their 'Gold' series case. The one thing i don't like about them is their 'flat' top. The TKL cases all have a highly domed top for added stiffness. My TKL 'American Vintage' case also has additional top plies as well as steel reinforced corners hidden under the Tolex (or 'whatever') covering.

J.Albert's comment makes me wonder if the Ameritage Co.was responsible for making the arm breaking Weber rect. cases !!. They are one hell of a heavy case - 13.5 Lbs !.

The TKL 'Standard' rect, cases are around $186 US against $464 for an Ameritage case !. IMHO the TKL cases look more like a proper instrument case. The Ameritage cases look like suitcases !,
    Ivan

Name:	TKL Mandolin Case.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	153076
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    J.Albert's comment makes me wonder if the Ameritage Co.was responsible for making the arm breaking Weber rect. cases !!. They are one hell of a heavy case - 13.5 Lbs !.
    I don't know about the Weber rectangular cases, but I have been told that Eastman makes Weber's shaped cases. My Weber mandola case is the typical grey Weber case with their logo on it, and I agree: it's HEAVY.

12. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

My yellow tweed Ameritage rectangular case had an arched top and was not overly heavy, certainly lighter than the rectangular Caltons I've owned.

14. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

Ivan This a late 70's case

Name:	70's  Gibson case.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	153079

16. The following members say thank you to AMandolin for this post:

Ameritage handles all the Collings electric cases, cases for Santa Cruz Guitar, etc. They are pretty busy. I had heard, way back that it was at least a four month wait for their cases. Don't give up hope. I have one that came with my Mowry GBOM. It is really very heavy. A Calton would be lighter.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Many thanks for the '70's case pic. The only Gibson cases i'm familiar with are the Gibson cases that come withthe Doyle Lawson model mandolin & the pre-war Loar cases. Both are black with very rounded corners,
    IvanClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Doyle Lawson model Gibson & leather case.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	147.3 KB 
ID:	153096
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Okay all, this is a better shot of the Gibson case from 87.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibson 87 case.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	152.7 KB 
ID:	153099

The only Gibson cases i'm familiar with are the Gibson cases that come with the Doyle Lawson model mandolin & the pre-war Loar cases.
    And then there was this one, from the 50's...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	153104   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	346.7 KB 
ID:	153103  

21. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

As far as The spare strings thing .. although not a specific Compartment, a lot of options can be created..

I have a spare string collection, in my very shaped Eastman, A5 specific, fiberglass Case ..

They go in a former Pint bottle covering Crown Royal ,drawstring bag .

and in the Vinyl envelopes, that sticks Quite nicely in the Lid over the headstock ..

FWIW .. Mix Mandolin ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Let us know how this gets resolved, I've always liked the looks of the Ameritage.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Thanks for those photos. Alan. Those cases must have been a weekend Garage job for somebody !!. How things have improved !.
    Here's a pic. of a Weber Rect. mandolin case courtesy of TAMCO UK - see any similarity between the Weber & Ameritage cases ??,
    Ivan

Name:	Weber Rect. Mandolin case.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	153137
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Thanks for those photos. Alan. Those cases must have been a weekend Garage job for somebody !!. How things have improved !.
    Well, what it lacks in modernistic appointments it more than makes up for it with the Cool! factor. I mean, c'mon, a pink interior?

I had a 20's Geib case for the F-5 and it was a similar thing: dodgy secure and protective fit, but had it going on...

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billruns View Post
    The mailing address was a P. O. Box in Miami, which is opened once per week, then the contents are sent to Costa Rica.
    I admire your confidence in a business process obviously hardly updated since Cristoforo Colombo.

the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

A 'standard' Ameritage case ''off the shelf'' would have workled fine :- http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando...CaseAME80.html The Silver series case is especially good value. It's the same as the Gold series,but without the humidity 'thingy',which in most cases,are a bit dubious anyway (IMHO).

As sblock says,you could have ordered a Northfield case for your NF mandolin & they also provide a case cover for it nowadays.

Hopefully,your case will arrive in due time, & believe me,having fallen victim to such situations a couple of times myself,you have my deepest sympathy,
    Ivan

Name:	Ameritage Silver series case..jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	633.0 KB 
ID:	153041
    Ivan is correct, I could have ordered a "standard" Ameritage case "off the shelf" if I had wanted to, however, I think it looks too much like an institutional case and I could have also ordered a Northfield case, but I have one of those which came with my used NF M F-5 but it has no padding.
    All that being said, I finally got a shipping notice yesterday and tracking number. It is scheduled to be delivered today by UPS. One day short of four months.
    I will keep the board updated about the long awaited case.

28. The following members say thank you to billruns for this post:

Well, that is good news.

This puzzles me: could have also ordered a Northfield case, but I have one of those which came with my used NF M F-5 but it has no padding.

Mine has beaucoup padding, very similar to Calton.

See post#1 for a pic, plenty of padding.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=airloom
    Last edited by AlanN; Jan-18-2017 at 10:17am.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    Well, that is good news.

This puzzles me: could have also ordered a Northfield case, but I have one of those which came with my used NF M F-5 but it has no padding.

Mine has beaucoup padding, very similar to Calton.

See post#1 for a pic, plenty of padding.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...hlight=airloom
    The "missing case" showed up today! One day short of four months. I was told two months. It is a beautiful case with arched top and back and good hardware. The interior is nice and plush, only my mandolin does not fit well in it. The arched back does not allow it to sit flush on the floor even though it has "feet" on the back.
    Oh, well, it is what it is!

31. The following members say thank you to billruns for this post:

Send it back and get a refund. If the case doesn't fit, then why spend all that money?

33. The following members say thank you to dschonbrun for this post: