Thread: Pick-Guard Replacement on A-Style Mandolin?

Question Pick-Guard Replacement on A-Style Mandolin?

Hello!

I'll be receiving a mandolin for Christmas this year and I'm extremely excited to be branching out to new instruments! I ordered a nice one off of Amazon (this one).

I didn't have fairly high hopes for it, but I'm a beginner and wanted a mandolin that would suit my needs and function like it needed too. However, to my surprise, it came in fairly good shape a few days ago (I was allowed to peek at it, thankfully). The only thing really "wrong" with it was the pick-guard, that was terribly scratched up, and the strings were (as expected) out of tune.

I really like this mandolin, and for future reference would like to know how to change the pick-guard so it looks a little nicer for performances and such. Thank you very much for any help!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pick-Guard Replacement on A-Style Mandolin?

Well .... pickguards are usually mounted by a screw and bracket combination through the binding on the lower side and one or two pins mounted on the bottom side of the guard and into the bottom side of the neck. Most often removing the screw from the lower bracket allows for the neck mounted pins to be pulled out. Occasionally the pins in the neck have been glued , generally they are held by a tight fit. Insofar as scratches on the pickguard are concerned you will likely add some more while you are learning so if this really bothers you I recommend you wait to replace the pickguard. Do be aware, many replacement guards are available but the pins in the neck and where the lower bracket is mounted can be different from model to model and a close fit is required. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

3. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Contact Amazon customer service and tell them about the pick-guard issue. They may send you a new one at no charge. It's attached with 2 screws to the mandolin and should be easy to figure out how to change it yourself. The pick-guard in question appears to have a screw through the point up by the fingerboard and screwed directly into the top so, no pins in the side of the FB to deal with.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

5. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

This may sound silly, but are you sure it's the guard that's scratched? One of the reviews on Amazon mentioned that the pick guard had a plastic film on it which should be removed. That may be what's scratched.
    The fingerboard is probably going to get scratched up anyway. Alternatively, you may choose to remove it altogether. Lots of people, myself included, prefer to play without one.
    BTW- a mandolin in a set like that is not likely to be set up as well as it could. Set up includes adjusting parts like the nut and bridge to the instrument plays in tune with itself, is easy to fret, with no excess buzzing of strings and other noises. You can learn do do this yourself. Cafe Member Rob Meldrum has written an e-book on the topic which he distributes for free to Cafe members. I learned a LOT from this.
    Last edited by Paul Busman; Dec-08-2016 at 12:20pm. Reason: Forgot some stuff
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

7. The following members say thank you to Paul Busman for this post:

I think every pickguard I have ever seen unless it is new is scratched, I wouldn't worry about that. As Paul says there is usually a film that will peel off, If you leave it on it will protect your pickguard some and you can take it off when it suits you and you want it to look better. My pickguard is ebony and has divots where my fingers rub, that is what it is for so those divots are not in the top of the mandolin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

9. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

FWIW, Cumberland Acoustics makes Pick-guard/finger-rests too.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

11. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

The answer is: have fun, dont worry about it. There are few things one can be certain about, but I can guarantee you, should you perform with this instrument, no one will ever say, or think, "she's good, too bad about the scratched pickguard". It probably is a film plastic protector anyway. Take a look through the classifieds and look at the multi-thousand-dollar mandos: F9, Collings, etc--you will see that hardly any of them have pickguards, because they are unneeded on a mando, since the strings are so high above the top--and they interfere with the sound by covering the f-hole. For some reason they are much more likely to be included on inexpensive ones.
    Just enjoy the learning. Happy playing!

13. The following members say thank you to Bill Cameron for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Take a look through the classifieds and look at the multi-thousand-dollar mandos: F9, Collings, etc--you will see that hardly any of them have pickguards, because they are unneeded on a mando, since the strings are so high above the top--and they interfere with the sound by covering the f-hole. For some reason they are much more likely to be included on inexpensive ones.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

"They are much more likely to be ncluded on inexpensive ones"

Like all the Loars, they were only $250, in 1922.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3mandos7.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	290.7 KB 
ID:	152073

Like these "inexpensive" mandolins?

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

17. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

I have actually had mandolins returned due to the film on the pick guard. I usually pull it off now. When it is left on, it does look like a terribly scratched pick guard. Most likely, this is what you saw.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I seem to have touched a nerve...obviously, some high-end mandos come with them or have them added, while many do not. I did a similarly unscientific scroll-through a couple of pages of the classifieds before I posted that opinion, and I stand by it.

In almost 40 years of playing, I have never managed to cause any wear or damage on the tops of my mando-family instruments that the pickguard would have protected them from. And I play a lot, and agressively (by celtic-style standards, anyway).
    I keep meaning to start using an armrest though--regrets, I've had a few.

Hope dancingqueen is enjoying the new mando!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    "They are much more likely to be ncluded on inexpensive ones"

Like all the Loars, they were only $250, in 1922.
    FWIW, a model T Ford sold for $319 in 1922......

Blog Entries

. Take a look through the classifieds and look at the multi-thousand-dollar mandos: F9, Collings, etc--you will see that hardly any of them have pickguards, because they are unneeded on a mando, since the strings are so high above the top--and they interfere with the sound by covering the f-hole.

Name:	pegasusellis.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	152634

Worth noting... they are not "pick guards" as such. They are actually finger rests. They do serve a real purpose, though whether you need, use or like them is a matter of preference and playing style/technique. Where they are not used there can be substantial wear to the top through finger resting. I have some mandolins with them, some without. I must say I prefer them with, though not so much the larger plastic Gibson type, rather the 'abbreviated' style made in bound ebony as seen above on my Ellis. I find these to be really nice. I did a few tests once, recording the same mandolin (a Gibson F5 Fern) with and without the pickguard into a very nice microphone, and not only listened to the results, but ran them though a spectral analyzer. I could not detect any difference at all with either method.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

22. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I've posted this picture before. Let it be cautionary.

Name:	AndyStatman.bmp 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	152637

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

24. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Needs an armrest too.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug Edwards For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    I've posted this picture before. Let it be cautionary.

Name:	AndyStatman.bmp 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	152637

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Needs an armrest too

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post

Name:	pegasusellis.jpg 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	152634

Worth noting... they are not "pick guards" as such. They are actually finger rests. They do serve a real purpose, though whether you need, use or like them is a matter of preference and playing style/technique. Where they are not used there can be substantial wear to the top through finger resting. I have some mandolins with them, some without. I must say I prefer them with, though not so much the larger plastic Gibson type, rather the 'abbreviated' style made in bound ebony as seen above on my Ellis. I find these to be really nice. I did a few tests once, recording the same mandolin (a Gibson F5 Fern) with and without the pickguard into a very nice microphone, and not only listened to the results, but ran them though a spectral analyzer. I could not detect any difference at all with either method.
    Interesting. I never have used that finger-resting position, evidently....not going to argue with the results of your experiment, I'm impressed that you actually went to all that trouble. I just find it mysterious that, since the sound comes through the f-holes, that partially obstructing one doesnt change the sound.

Blog Entries

If you actually closed the F-hole off, it would. So would placing an absorbent directly in front of it, provided it was large enough, but at the frequencies involved, a small, mostly reflective object a short distance away has virtually no effect whatever.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

30. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Interesting. I never have used that finger-resting position, evidently....not going to argue with the results of your experiment, I'm impressed that you actually went to all that trouble. I just find it mysterious that, since the sound comes through the f-holes, that partially obstructing one doesnt change the sound.
    Bill, your comment "The sound comes through the F-Holes" might benefit from some clarification.

Of the sound created by a Mandolin, The majority of compression and resulting amplitude is generated by the interaction between the soundboard and the air in front of the instrument. The oscillation of the sound board does compress the air inside the instrument's body, and create resonance which escapes the chamber through the sound holes as well as transmitting a small amount of energy to the side and back plates, which is mostly reflected, though a bit creates omni-directional presence.

The amount of sound that escapes the f-holes, when compared to the amount generated forward by the sound-board is extremely small. Additionally, the finger rest (a.k.a) pick guard may bounce the sound back to the soundboard at an angle, and then it ultimately escapes around the edge and gets to the audience very slightly off phase.

In point of fact, today's smaller finger rests have a very minimal impact on tone or amplitude when used on a well designed mandolin.

D

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dschonbrun For This Useful Post:

I have never miked my mandolin at the ff holes, but rather just behind the bridge at the strings. I like the sound best there and it is plenty loud. I don't think a pickguard has ever detracted from the sound and I have one on all but a couple mandolins.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!