Thread: Intro, and thanks to Mandolin Cafe and pickloser

Default Intro, and thanks to Mandolin Cafe and pickloser

First post! I'm a longtime guitar/bass player and was inspired to pick up the mandolin through hearing Andrew Marlin's work with Mandolin Orange. I was able to do a lot of lurking research here and recently settled on an Eastman MD315 for my first mandolin, which I am absolutely in love with! Thanks to all here for the opinions and help.

Special thanks to member pickloser, whose 'Guide To Double Stops And Repeating Patterns' I also found through this forum. It is going to be my bible for the foreseeable future. First order of business is to stop thinking of the mandolin tuning as an upside-down bass guitar...

2. The following members say thank you to Kevin Winn for this post:

Default Re: Intro, and thanks to Mandolin Cafe and pickloser

Hi Spud3 - welcome aboard! Yes, whatever you do, don't think of it as an "upside down" bass or guitar. You'll drive yourself nuts doing it that way - I speak from personal experience! Just learn it as a new instrument.

Good to know you've got a decent instrument to learn on - Eastman and Kentucky make good mandolins at a good price and it'll keep you going for a long time. Sometimes, new people come on board here asking which is the best instrument to get for under X amount. Invariably, the replies are Eastman and Kentucky. Then, having ignored all the advice, they go and buy some no-name piece of plywood junk (basically just one grade up from firewood) and wonder why it doesn't sound any good, or why it won't intonate or stay in tune!

Glad you haven't fallen into that trap - you've a decent mandolin, and you've got your guitar and bass skills - enjoy the journey!

4. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

Special thanks to member pickloser, whose 'Guide To Double Stops And Repeating Patterns'

I can second that thought. Putting memorable words to chord fingerings made beginning so easy. It certainly got me going. If only I knew the next step.

6. The following members say thank you to MrYikes for this post:

Welcome aboard spud3. I'm a long time guitar player who recently picked up the mandolin. I hope you have as much love for the instrument as I do. Now off to find the 'Guide to Double Stops thread. It sounds like I missed something I could really use. Thanks.

It took a little leg work but I found it. Here is a link for those interested.
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/en...to-Doublestops

8. The following members say thank you to RandyC for this post:

Astro 

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spud3 View Post
    Special thanks to member pickloser, whose 'Guide To Double Stops And Repeating Patterns' I also found through this forum...
    You could do a whole lot worse. There is a ton of information there organized in a way that makes it all so straightforward.

Yea the sooner you get all mandolinny and shed your bassishness and guitarishness the better.

Many who have travelled similar journeys say that their guitar skills improved learning mandolin - so you have a lot to look forward to.

Welcome to the site and welcome to the best obsession ever.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Welcome to the Cafe, spud3
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

your welcome, and thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spud3 View Post
    First post! I'm a longtime guitar/bass player and was inspired to pick up the mandolin through hearing Andrew Marlin's work with Mandolin Orange
    Cool! Welcome to the cafe.

And Deja vu. I took up mandolin (previously a guitar/bass player) after watching Andrew play Runnin Red on a YT video. He's playing an Eastman 515? in that video

Good choice! After a few months on a borrowed instrument, I got a 315, and it's a keeper.

Your guitar experience won't seem all that helpful at first, but once you adjust to the physical differences, it'll all kick in. Have fun!
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Welcome to the Cafe spud3. You'll find lots of information, help and advice here on a full spectrum of mandolin related topics.
    And just in case your user-name represents a fondness for potatoes, don't be offended if someone here advises you to play them out of your mandolin! It's just an expression...nothing against potatoes.

Welcome to our wild, wacky world. You already found out this is a fountain of info and opinions. Have fun with the new Eastman.

Welcome, soon you'll be like me and think you know everything about everything. My advice is worth what you pay for it. Now if everyone would just send me their .02, I could go by that vintage Gibson.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
    Cool! Welcome to the cafe.

And Deja vu. I took up mandolin (previously a guitar/bass player) after watching Andrew play Runnin Red on a YT video. He's playing an Eastman 515? in that video
    That vid is one of my favorites. Discovered them at Pickathon here a couple years ago and have seen them several times since. Just can't get enough - they are the total package: superb songwriting, wonderful organic harmonies and they are both monster players.

Blog Entries

Hey spud3, welcome.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

20. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post: