Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul Shippey and The Best Mandolin in The World

Default Paul Shippey and The Best Mandolin in The World

I'm a looooong time MandoCafe ghost, but I've just been hanging out in the corner making that one cup of coffee last since about 1997

Being a bear of very little brain and limited dexterity, I've never had anything to contribute, so this will be my first post. Since I started playing, 21 years ago (you wouldn't know it if you heard me - my playing still has the youthful sheen of the clueless) I had a Tanglewood A-style forever, then picked up a 1939 Gibson A00 a little under 3 years ago.

Now, the Gibson, I love. We met by accident in Forsyths (Manchester, UK) and I fell for the tone straight away: rich, mellow and dark. It's no looker and structurally it has seen better days - so we have this in common

However, there are drawbacks: it's quite hard work to play at any kind of pace - and my left hand is in seriously bad shape (years of Judo, motorcycling and general clumsiness have filled it with fractures, scar tissue and arthritis). A couple of months' intense practice pre a Simon Mayor tutorial (5-stars for that, by the way, lovely chap and a great teacher. Plays alright, too) led me into a bout of tendonitis, just to top it off.

Ouch.

Also, the A00 ain't loud, and at the time I was playing in an ensemble alongside a very talented mandolinist who had the confidence to play her Kentucky F-style hard and I have to tell you, that is a *loud* mandolin. In a good way. (Also, it allowed me to hide behind her during the difficult bits )

I've found plenty of value on here over the years, and had all my questions answered without even having to ask, until I came to this point -

"What now? - I want a sweet, full sounding mandolin - not too bright - but loud enough to cut it in an orchestra without crippling my crumpled left mitt."

To cut a long story less-long, I scoured the length of the country. I'm no connoisseur, but I have been moving in mandocircles for a long time and I know a good 'un when I find one. So I played hundreds of mandolins from £400 to £6000+ (for reference only at the top end, you understand ) (although, it's worth labouring the point that expensiver isn't always betterer. Trust your ears, and your fingertips, say I).

Nothing hit the mark. A few came close, but they weren't *it*.

I remembered meeting a mandolin maker named Paul Shippey very many years ago, who had just been setting out on his own. At the time, I tried a couple of his instruments and was very impressed, but as a penniless student, these were pipe dreams. I decided to look him up on th'directory and lo and behold he had a website and everything.

I sent him an email and soon Gibson A00 and I were travelling by KTM to Weston-Super-Mare where I enjoyed an enormously warm welcome from Paul who had remained every bit as charming, sincere and personable as I had recollected.

Paul listened to my tale, and suffered an audience with my Gibson, then had me try one of his own part-finished models to see what sort of sounds I could make with it.

He was even polite enough to not visibly wince

He kept the Gibson overnight for measurements (the neck profile is *just right* for me) and it turns out that it was within a whisker of his own pattern anyway. We talked woods, and of our shared love of all things British (nothing jingoistic, just gratitude for our heritage and resources), then off I dashed to my home in the hills of the Narth.

A few weeks later, I wired Paul my deposit and told him to take his time as I would need a while to raise the full price of the instrument.

As it happens, just about a year after out first meeting, I got en email from Paul asking what sort of a finish I would like! How exciting! I literally didn't sleep for 2 days. By way of return, I sent Paul a few photographs of various instruments with finishes I like, even though "helpfully" enough, they were all rather different to each other. I also said that I was going to leave the final decision to Paul's good judgement, and that I didn't want to see it until it was ready.

Well, a few days ago I got back from Weston with my brand new Paul Shippey A5, and I am happy to report that the brief has been more than matched

What Paul has managed by craft and intuition is absolutely tremendous. The look, sound and feel of this mandolin could not be closer to what I wanted, despite my garbled and unintelligible descriptions. The quality of the finish and the detailing is immense - and it even smells fantastic!

As for the sound? - it's everything I could want. Rings like a bell, sustain for days, rich harmonics through the length of the perfectly-intonated fingerboard and so, so responsive.
    Most amazingly, though, it opens up most when I play like me. By that, I mean that I can knock out a bluegrass lick or a Celtic reel and (tonally) it sounds just great, but when I start to play my repertoire, my way (I lean towards airs, classical and jazz standards), that's when it really starts to sing.

It's like magic.

5 days in and apart from the strings taking a beating, my left hand feels fine (relatively). I've had to learn to relax my Gibson Death-Grip, but the tendonitis seems to be at low ebb despite the many sleepless hours I've spent like admiring my new precious, like a grotesquely oversized Gollum

In short, this mandolin has given my playing a new lease of life, and extended the expiry date of my moribund left-mitt. It's crazy to think that for the same money as I could pay in a shop for a Chinese factory instrument - or a third of the price of a US-made one-trick bluegrass cannon - I've got a handmade instrument, carved and tuned back and top, in beautiful British woods, that sounds like me and fits like I grew up with it.

I can honestly say that I would not change even the smallest detail of my Shippey A5. Despite being a brute, I have played Monteleones, D'Aquistos and even a Loar F5 (at the late lamented Mandolin Bros as-was). I've played Eastmans, Capeks, Breedloves and a host of other fantastic factory-and-artisan made instruments.

Would I swap my Shippey A5 for any of them, as an instrument? - no.
    And if that don't make it the Best Mandolin In The World, then what would? - only if I learned to play it properly!

I may yet get up the nerve to post some videos so you can hear it (in which case - no judging! I'm shy!).

For now you can see in instrument in question here:
    http://shippeymandolins.tumblr.com
    https://www.facebook.com/shippeymandolins/
    http://paulshippey.co.uk

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Left Hand Blind For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paul Shippey and The Best Mandolin in The World

Great post!
    David A. Gordon

Thank you, David - that's kind of you to say that. It's a great experience that inspired it, though

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Oh my, what a beautiful set of pictures of your A5. Reading your post was a pleasure; I'm wishing I could hear you play your new mandolin first-hand. Happy to hear of your good fortune!
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Thanks Mark! you're right - I am fortunate! I didn't mean to crow, so much as to spread the word - especially to the similarly afflicted out there. I will do some videos, but I need to get my nerve up first. By the way, "Abilene" was one of the first proper songs my Dad ever taught me on the guitar, and I still whistle it most days

Congratulations! New Mandolin Day is always exciting, but it's even better when the mandolin exceeds your expectations!
    Chuck

L.H.B....They sure are some great looking mandolins, I hope they sound as good as they look and I am sure they do...

BTW...after reading your post on here if you fail as a mandolin picker you could try a career as a writer, if you haven`t already, you have a nice way with words...

Enjoy your new toy....Willie

That's a great story, maybe it can be lengthened to full blog length with photos inline. And very belated welcome to the Cafe!

Now the list of instruments i want is: Flatiron, Silverangel, Collings, Weber, Rigel, Pava, Northfield, Gibson, Girouard, Buckeye, Jacobson, Bulldog, Phoenix, Shippey,
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Ain't it great when a plan comes together. You are so lucky to find your perfect mandolin, I went thru several before I found my Dearstone but it's the one for me. Hope you have many years playing and loving your Shippey.

PS it ain't the best mandolin in the world, my 'Stone is LOL

Thank-you, Chuck! This was especially exciting - the last New Mandolin Day I had was when I impulse-purchased the Gibson, so I didn't have to time to build it up! This one was a long time coming (albeit at my own behest) and I'd managed to make myself quite anxious about it (I know - silly, right? But it's what I do. Think of it as a talent, in reverse...). My expectations certainly were exceeded, though and if the tendonitis stays in check I may even be at risk of making some progress Wishing you health and happiness, always

Thanks, Mandoplumb: you're right, I am a very lucky fellow indeed and wish there were something I could give back to the world in exchange. However - as I said - I am a man of limited talents, so I shall just have to keep trying my hardest at *everything*!

I'm delighted to hear that you also have the Best Mandolin in The World - what are the chances of that?! Wishing you the best in all things, and the time to enjoy them.

Thanks, Gtani! I'm not sure how I would go about a full length blog and I'm sure my writing has limited enough appeal. On the other hand, I know Paul will have plenty of pictures from throughout the build and these should save my 10,000 words!

Incidentally, I see that you are also a fan of woodwind and the haunting Marimba. It may be that you enjoy "Koop Island Blues" by Koop which features these as well as melodeon, mandolin and breathy Scandinavian vocals. It's an odd find, but aren't they so often the best?! With thanks for your kind words, and high hopes for your happy future.

P.S. I do love those Weber mandolins, and particularly their mandocello. However, Mr Shippey has to be my go-to guy henceforth, so I've asked him to start thinking about a mandocello in a few years' time (I'll need to save up again).
    Last edited by Left Hand Blind; Dec-04-2016 at 1:38pm. Reason: update and syntax correction

I've had my Paul Shippey for almost 16 years, superb mandolin and Paul was a pleasure to deal with.

Without doubt one of Europes finest luthiers.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Hi Dave - thanks for taking time to read my post! That's *quite* the collection of instruments you have listed there - very tasteful indeed. Is this a side-effect of your proximity to the Music Room at Cleckheaton, perhaps?

It's good to know that I can expect my Shippey to be in good shape in 16 years' time even if I'm not!

One or two perhaps.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    Ibanez Artist 5 string

Further to that, it seems likely that The Music Room will not survive much longer, it seems to be in a bit of trouble.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    Ibanez Artist 5 string

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    Further to that, it seems likely that The Music Room will not survive much longer, it seems to be in a bit of trouble.

Dave H
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    David A. Gordon

Hello Left Hand Blind, I too have a Shippey A5, and agree with your comments, particularly about what a nice person Paul is to deal with. Mine has a very similar finish to yours, but has a slightly different end to the fingerboard. There is a thread on here somewhere about the build process. Enjoy your Shippey!
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post

Dave H
    Gosh. Didn't realise that. I bought a nice Eastman (since traded) from there.

Was even thinking of taking a run through to see what the Collings mandolins are like.
    Being at the other end of the country from Trevor's emporium of delights, this was one of the few places within reach that one could see and play nice mando family instruments.

The current website is advertising a sale and also has the messages:

Like Life Our Opening Hours have become uncertain. If you want to be sure we are open please call before visiting

...and

Please Call us before Making a Journey to the shop as current staffing levels may dictate whether or not we are able to open

So it isn't looking good.

I'm sure I saw one of the guys who made my Oakwood Bouzouki (Martin?) there when they were setting the place up. He appeared to be in charge. Not sure if there was any official connection but Oakwood are in Leeds so not far away.

Regardless, it'll be sad, but not entirely unexpected in the current trading climate, if they go under.

Left Hand Blind,

Your opening post was well-written and leads me to wonder if you might be a writer [it appears you are versed as a storyteller]. Anyway, getting back to the subject, that's a fine looking mandolin!

I'd love to hear a sound clip when you get around to it...

Congratulations!
    Mike

Those who think they should think, like they think others think they should think, need to think out their thinking, I think.

No envejecemos, maduramos. -Pablo Picasso

great post, i'm also lucky enough to own one of Paul's early A5's , a cherry and sika model , its a super mandolin.

@ Rob Beck - thanks for taking the time to read my post and comment: I've not located your thread on here, but I had *already* seen the videos you posted, and when I saw them I thought "if I can sound as good as this guy when mine's ready, I'll be a happy man indeed". The fact that I can't play so nicely as you is no fault of the mandolin's. Bravo, Sir!

@ Wildpikr: thank you for your kind comments. I'm actually no kind of writer at all - one could argue that one thread in nearly 20 years barely qualifies me as a rank amateur! But thank you for the compliment. I will be working on some sound clips although my pesky job is getting in the way at the moment. However, you might ask Rob Beck for directions to his video clips, which I am confident are far better than anything I'm likely to cobble together!

24. The following members say thank you to Left Hand Blind for this post:

@Gortnamona - thank you for taking the time to read my post and comment - I know everyone's very busy, so it was kind of you to do that. Cherry and sitka sounds like a lovely instrument: was this your choice or did you find it as a used instrument? What's the tone like? And do you have any pictures? Yours in satisfaction, LHB

Thank you Left Hand Blind, you are very kind! (I won't tell you how many takes those videos took )
    Rob

My YouTube Channel
    My Book - The Solstice Blade - featuring zero mandolin content!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Paul is a wonderful bloke, and an amazing builder. A true gent. His finish is amongst the best I've seen - his instruments, be they fully carved, or one of his 'axe' line with its flat fronts/carved backs.

Congrats
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website