Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

Default Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

Simple question, simple answer: Irish. Is what I say. Could also say, live music, or, my own style, or, this and that, or, depends where I am. No point in going on and on about styles if they are satisfied with a quick, or vague answer. I don't mind having a real conversation with a stranger. That will usually start with some small talk. Feeling a little tired, or even annoyed at an endless procession of unrewarding small talk, though, is perfectly understandable. This is why musicians often disappear after playing.

2. The following members say thank you to Carl Robin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    ... What about other pet peeves?

<!-- Caution, whining starts here -->

<whining>

Today I tried to find mandolin reviews on YouTube. Several different brands.

What I found instead, was plenty of official companies' reviews featuring people talking too much and inept attempts at chord thrashing. Why? Why? Why? Who actually plays a mandolin like that? Like, nobody?

Some of these videos featured no single-note stuff at all, no melody playing, not even hitting a bass note and then a chord strum like even a 5-year-old child guitar player would do, nope, apparently these videos' producers couldn't be bothered to find anyone capable of plucking one note at a time?? Unimaginable. How do these companies expect to sell instruments that way?

Such "reviews" are completely useless for showing what kind of tone the instrument has for styles that, y'know, people actually *play* on mandolin.

Yeah I know, there are tons of variables that would affect tone even *if* they'd been playing some sort of recognized mandolin style, rather than strumming the darn thing like a ukulele or whatever.

But still IMO it would make more sense to have actual, y'know, mandolin players do reviews... is that such a wild idea?

</whining>

4. The following members say thank you to Jess L. for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

You and your crazy ideas

Radical.
    Last edited by Mark Gunter; Oct-25-2017 at 12:35am.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Let's see - right now it could be considered Scandinavian, with some emphasis on Finnish music, and American old-time stringband. (Need to say that around here in Minnesota because old-time could also mean German polka band music.)

As to not having actual musicians playing company mandolins - probably are afraid if they had one, someone would start spouting off that it's not the way "X" played mandolin. And the pick selection is wrong, etc., etc.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

8. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I have learned recently that one's pet peeves are an indicator for one's own open vulnerabilities that need to be healed and closed. And that is the action which is actually possible, unlike changing all those other people's wrongbeing. It's like having your own P.O.O.P. (Pacific Ocean of Popcorn).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

10. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

I usually tell people "Anything from James Taylor to Led Zepplin" I then get that
    "Oh ...I know who they are" look and we're done.

I just say "pretty much everything - bluegrass, jazz, rock, jam stuff, classical etc. Basically, anything I feel like playing." or similar.

I also have a sticker on my case that says "It's Not A Ukulele". Whenever someone asks if it is a uke or says "nice uke", I often just point to that.

Blog Entries

Recently, chatting with a non musician after a jam, I gave a list of genres I like, "old time, traditional Irish and Scottish and French Canadian fiddle tunes, ... ... and bluegrass."

I think the only thing heard was the last, because the very next question was, "Bluegrass? Don't you need a banjo for that?"
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I asked one of the guys in Leftover Salmon what kind of music they played. I remember the answer: "Polyethnic Cajun Slamgrass". I guess I wasn't the first one to ask...

15. The following members say thank you to OlDanTucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlDanTucker View Post
    I asked one of the guys in Leftover Salmon what kind of music they played. I remember the answer: "Polyethnic Cajun Slamgrass". I guess I wasn't the first one to ask...
    Yes I like that term. In homage to LS, I named a past trad scand trio Leftover Lutefisk - which also was descriptive of the music we played (we were old, and, well... )

17. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

stuff by dead people.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I play baroque, and don't bother to fix it.

(I've had pets that peeved me, but I never had a pet peeve. What sort of critter is it?)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Retro-progressive Caribbean Gothic surf punk alt-country doomgrass. Or something like that, if I feel like trying to make their eyes cross.

Otherwise it's more like "whatever there's a chance of my getting away with. Got anything in mind?"
    Northfield F2S
    Howard Morris A-4
    Eastman DGM3 Mandola
    Eastman MD805PGE
    Miscellaneous tingums

21. The following members say thank you to John Lloyd for this post:

RaisedByBadgers: Retro-progressive Caribbean Gothic surf punk alt-country doomgrass. Or something like that, if I feel like trying to make their eyes cross.

There are actually plenty of bands that describe themselves like this. Part of my job includes writing up nightlife listings, and I spent a lot of time trolling Facebook pages and websites for at least vague descriptions of music groups. "Music to rob banks by" was one of my favorites.
    Last edited by Louise NM; Oct-25-2017 at 11:12pm. Reason: quote didn't show up correctly

I have made peace with people who confront an Irish session with requests for music from LOTR or GOT. Mentally, I treat them like pets, actually: drop them off at some parking lot and drive away...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    You and your crazy ideas

Radical.
    Lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    ... As to not having actual musicians playing company mandolins - probably are afraid if they had one, someone would start spouting off that it's not the way "X" played mandolin. And the pick selection is wrong, etc., etc.
    Ah. Good points. I hadn't thought of that.

And if a video featured a really excellent talented mandolin player, a customer could (theoretically, hope this hasn't ever actually happened) complain that "Well that mandolin you sold me doesn't sound like that when *I* play it, I think your video was false advertising..."

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

whatever you'll pay me to play.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

27. The following members say thank you to David Lewis for this post:

===========

My worst nightmare was when I was once asked a similar question on a television show, many years ago.

Since I play only original music during shows, my usual response is 'Mike Zito music' - but that often, unintentionally, comes off as either flippant, dismissive or even arrogant, so I had to dance around the question. The truth is that I don't have the chops to play 'Rock and Roll' (and all of its derivatives), I have only a passing knowledge of Country and Bluegrass, and have no serious knowledge at all about Jazz, Classical, Zydeco, Venezuelan Fishing Songs or any other kind of music at all - so, what is left?

I play 'Mike Zito music'.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Robin View Post
    Simple question, simple answer...
    "Excuse me, can you tell me what time it is?" "Yes."

The underyling problem with this is how to divine if the person in question (pun intended) is really wanting a simple answer or trying to start a conversation. If your guess is wrong either way, you get pressed upon you the blame for being either a jerk or a talker despite being totally innocent. Maybe it is best to just grin (the kind of grin that gets you locked up in certain places) and keep on playing.

30. The following members say thank you to Bertram Henze for this post:

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

"Music that sounds good on the mandolin (or guitar or banjo or harmonica or ukulele or ...)."

I guess my biggest irritant is with folks who kind of sneer at whatever instrument I'm playing and start an incessant dialogue about the unique, one-of-a-kind, better-than-anything-that-anyone's-ever-played, custom-spec'd instrument he/she owns that even [insert name of well-known person] played it and says so.

"Thank you. Hope you have a good day."

I'm less than excited when people tell me long dull stories about "famous" people they have played with that I've never heard of.

Front Porch & Sweet Tea NursingDaBlues's Avatar

Okay. One more irritant.

People who ask me for suggestions/guidance/help with an instrument/song/whatever and then argue with my suggestion/guidance/help.

Quote Originally Posted by NursingDaBlues View Post
    People who ask me for suggestions/guidance/help with an instrument/song/whatever and then argue with my suggestion/guidance/help.
    That's easy: "I see you know what you don't want. Now all you've got to do is find out what you want."
    Caveat: you won't make any friends with this.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

I don't mind at all. It's a great ice-breaker. I say, "All kinds of stuff!" Then sometimes I list a few styles I like - folk, blues, pre-Beatles rock and country, roots American, R&B.

Then I ask them what kind of music they like. At that point the conversation is up and running and I don't have to put much work into it.

36. The following members say thank you to Charlie Bernstein for this post: