Thread: "Improving" vintage case

Default "Improving" vintage case

I have a situation here. I have an old (1924) Gibson instrument with original hardshell case, but the case is really in need of restoration from both inside and outside. It keeps the shape well, but lining is not in a good shape as well as furniture.

So I have possilbe options
    1. Leave the case as it is and buying some custom case / gig bag, so I'll have "original" case.
    2. Restore the case as close to original but then I still have to buy a gig bag because it's not convenient to cycle with hardshell case and I'm mostly cycling here in Netherlands.
    3. I have a leather working friend who suggest to "upgrade" the case - cover it with leather and replace inside lining. It's a not an expensive option, so basically I'm going to only pay for materials. There're no lot of color options though, but if I'm remaking case I can add straps and use it as a backpack case.

So what do you guys think? Is it considering a sin to "ruin" a vintage case?

Default Re: "Improving" vintage case

There are not that many original cases out there, so I vote for sticking the original in the closet and getting a new case....

That said, if you are not worried about the collectors value and don't really have space to be storing a case for decades.... Restoration might be an ok option.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

It would help to know what Gibson "Instrument" case you have. The case could be worth anywhere from $10 to $10,000, depending on what it is. If you "upgrade" the case, any vintage value will be completely gone. I think any Gibson case has vintage value, so I would agree with Robert that you should preserve the case and buy something new for everyday use. A photo of the case would help us provide better advice.

Steve

The instrument is a Gibson Tenor lute. So another reason why i'm considering restoration is that it's hard to find fitting case for such sn instrument. I don't have a good pic atm, but i think it's the same as Gibson tenor banjo case from that period

I Add Patches of Gaffers tape to the bare Wood places on my old cases ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Re: custom case; you might want to check out this current thread.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Well the custom cases are also quite expensive, while here i can have affordable leather covered case which will perfectly fit.

Allenhopkins, I recall that you have a tenor lute, di you think those cases have substantial collector's value?