Thread: Dusty Windowsill, Monaghan Jig & Crèche Jig on mandolin & mandola

Smile Dusty Windowsill, Monaghan Jig & Crèche Jig on mandolin & mandola

Video of my partner performing The Dusty Windowsill, The Monaghan Jig, The Crèche Jig on Mandolin, Octave Mandola, and Guitar. He just got the mandola, so he's been having a lot of fun with it

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xLizardx For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Dusty Windowsill, Monaghan Jig & Crèche Jig on mandolin & man

Nicely Balkanized settings. Fun.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kotapish View Post
    Nicely Balkanized settings. Fun.
    Thanks, Paul. I was trying to figure out why the medley sounded different from regular ITM. Nicely done tho.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Are you referring to the panning? I put the mandolin track slightly to the right and the mandola track slightly to the left, whilst leaving the guitar central - I thought that this would make the distinctions between the instruments more appreciable, especially on the harmonised solos.

My apologies if you don't find this as appealing - I usually mix vocals, not instrumentals, in which case my objective is to make tracks sound as layered as possible. I'm certainly no expert though - I've just read some suggestions that this approach creates a more "surround-sound" feel, which is possibly more appropriate to my own sort of singer-songwriter style material.

Thank you for taking the time to listen and comment, anyhoo

Nicely done.

I think by balkanized Paul was talking about the rhythm/chording on the very beginning, which sounded more like an eastern European style than ITM. Or I might be completely wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me -- a bit like gypsy music until I let my ears acclimate to the jig timing in dusty windowsills.

I thought the mix was fine, if a little heavy on the guitar -- what can I say? I normally play where guitarists are relegated to the back and sat on fairly heavily!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randi Gormley View Post
    Nicely done.

I think by balkanized Paul was talking about the rhythm/chording on the very beginning, which sounded more like an eastern European style than ITM. Or I might be completely wrong, but that's what it sounded like to me -- a bit like gypsy music until I let my ears acclimate to the jig timing in dusty windowsills.

I thought the mix was fine, if a little heavy on the guitar -- what can I say? I normally play where guitarists are relegated to the back and sat on fairly heavily!
    Yep. I agree.
    Wonderful. Except...wait, I need to find how to spell curmungion. (I do have a reputation for being a strict traditionalist.) The point is to understand and demonstrate that you know the subtle and deep character of an ethnic style. I have admiration for technical ability and a sense of fun. And five stars for that part. Now 'carry on'. (I'll quietly sip my Guinness in the back of the room).
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Mudge is what yer missing