Thread: Cutting fret slot on a fingerboard

Default Cutting fret slot on a fingerboard

I have heard that there is a saw that can cut all of the slots at the same time...Is that a true statement or is someone pulling my leg? I would assume that if there is such an item that it would be used mostly by the big factory builders....And if there is one please post a photo...

Willie

Default Re: Cutting fret slot on a fingerboard

Google "fret gang saw"
    Not a mandolin but here is a video:
    https://youtu.be/dSzWCMMuTD0

Those were used by Gibson back in the 1920s even. Today some of the fretboards are laser cut for the slots.

There is, it's a gang saw. Basically a shaft with 20 or so circular blades aligned to the scale for each fret. Stew Mac uses them to make their fingerboards. They are not foolproof however. The blades can get bent or mis-aligned. Cutting very dense wood like ebony can distort the blades and make the spacings off. I've bought multiple boards and lined them up to find some were off a fret slot's distance from each other starting around the 12th fret. These were mandolin boards, so .023" off does make a difference in intonation. I started cutting my own slots after finding that out.

Thanks, That is just what I was looking for...I can see where cutting ebony would be hard on the blades...

Willie