Thread: Mid Range Mandolins?

Default Mid Range Mandolins?

It seems like most mandolin dealers around me have only cheap entry level mandolins or are some vintage shop with nothing below 5000, but I can never seem to find much in between. Does anyone know of anywhere in the Maryland/Mid-atlantic region that has a decent selection of mandolins in the 2000-3000 range? Willing to drive a couple hours or so. Any help is much appreciated.

Default Re: Mid Range Mandolins?

Not sure where in MD you're located, but when I lived there I used to love visiting Appalachian Bluegrass. They have a great selection of mandolins and the staff was always great to me.

http://www.appbluegrass.com/product-category/mandolins/

The last time I was in Appalachian Bluegrass they had gone to selling the less expensive brands, at one time they would undertake consignment mandolins but they told me they don`t do that any more.....I`m not sure their friendly attitude is there any more either, they acted like they didn`t want to talk to me when I mentioned that I was looking for something a little more up scale...

Platescraper, if you want to drive to Fredricksburg Va. that would be a great place to look at mandolins of all quality and prices at Pickers Supply....Ask for Merle Johnson and tell him that Willie sent you, might give you a break, who knows?

Willie

Take a short trip up to Todaro's Music in Lansdowne, PA, which is just west of Philadelphia. It is very easy to get to from the south.

Call ahead to let Joe Todaro, the owner, know what you are interested in. He'll have instruments for you to try and will be ready for you when you come. Joe is a central figure in the Philadelphia mandolin community and is a very helpful guy. Here's the URL http://worldfrets.com/

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less.

The House Of Musical Traditions in Takoma Park is always an interesting place to visit and worth checking out. You can check their web site or call ahead to see what they might have at any given time. My last visit netted me a nice '91 Flatiron. Good luck.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

Blog Entries

Fred Oster's shop Vintage Instruments in Philly has a wide range of mandolins. You're not likely to see as many Martins and old Gibson A styles under one roof in my area. Call ahead. The shop just smells nice, too.

If you're looking for F Hole models call or browse their site.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

http://pickerssupply.com

Fredericksburg Va
    Russ Jordan

I was visiting the Baltimore, MD area about 10 years ago and made the drive down to Mandolin World Headquarters in (I think) Richmond, VA. The year before I had purchased and F-5 from Charles and was looking for an F-4. Didn't buy anything on that trip but I had a great time and Charles Johnson is great to work with.

Kirk