Thread: Weber Gallatin A

Default Weber Gallatin A

I'm seriously considering a Weber Gallatin A with the faded leather finish
    and am soliciting input and opinions on fit/finish and tone.

Default Re: Weber Gallatin A

I can tell you one thing about the finish.... It is very difficult to photograph!

The fit and the finish is excellent. Obviously, a very stripped down, no frills mandolin, but the workmanship is great as is the tone.

Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Folkmusician.com For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for the photos. Robert. It looks to be a very 'business like' mandolin,built for playing more than looking at,although it looks really nice to my eyes - the 'satin' finish looks flawless,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

I played a couple of Gallatins at The Music Room in Cleckheaton when they had a big stock of Weber mandolins in several months ago, they both sounded superb, in fact the only Weber they had in stock which didn't sound great was a Yellowstone F5.

As you can see I'm a Weber fan.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

6. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I like the look of the Gallatins and those that I have played have all been excellent in terms of tone and fit/finish.

8. The following members say thank you to Shelagh Moore for this post:

I have an older maple Gallatin F and the fit, finish, tone and playability remain excellent. Lacks nothing but the fiddly bits, compared to the upper line Webers I've played.

10. The following members say thank you to spufman for this post:

I've been looking closely at these too. I have a 2002 Weber Bridger Mandola that I love, but just recently got back to a mandolin. It's an Eastman 505 which is pretty amazing, actually. But, there is just something about Webers, and a few others, that I like. I have not been able to play the Gallatin, but the videos of them sound very nice to me. Let us know what you decide to do.

I have a Bitteroot-A in the buckskin finish, and love it. Every Weber I've played with a satin finish has sounded better to my ears than the ones with gloss finish. I used to have a Bitteroot-F with high-gloss dark burst finish, and it never sounded as good as the A-style I have now. But that one also had a mahogany back, so that also factored into the tone. My Bitteroot-A has a nicely figured maple back and sides. It's a beautiful instrument, and extremely well made (as all Webers are). The typical Weber neck carve, radius fretboard, and wide frets work very well for me. I played a Gallatin-F that I really liked recently. Might be my next mando. But I'm keeping my Bitteroot-A.

I bought a Weber Gallatin "sopranolin" three years ago at Bernunzio's, and from Robert's pics, I'd guess mine has the same finish, though I don't know if it's called "faded leather." A uniform brown satin finish, translucent enough to let the wood's figure show through.

My little Weber is immaculately built, no binding and minimal inlay (headstock logo, dots on the neck). Mine came with an armrest, which might be worth considering if you think wrist friction with the satin finish will result in a "shiny" area.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

I really like the minimalist look of the Gallatin - there's something almost organic about them. I've played a few here and there, and they've all had a really loud, punchy and authoritative tone. Great note separation.

15. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

I bought a Gallatin F in January. It's the light faded leather. They had one exactly like your photo and that's what I planned on buying. I liked them both both but the F had the sound I liked best and it just felt right when I played it. I played a lot of others on many occasions at various music stores- Gibson, Big Muddy, Eastman etc and am still happy with my choice. I have a luthier in my family and he said the Weber is a quality instrument. I really like the smooth satin finish- understated but an eye catcher at jam sessions. It's a keeper! I have 2 other Mandos but it's my favorite.
    2014 Rogue
    2014 Weber F Gallatin
    2012 Ison F Jewel
    2016 Taylor GS Mini Guitar
    2015 Weber Yellowstone

17. The following members say thank you to Bonniej for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bonniej View Post
    I bought a Gallatin F in January. It's the light faded leather. They had one exactly like your photo and that's what I planned on buying. I liked them both both but the F had the sound I liked best and it just felt right when I played it. I played a lot of others on many occasions at various music stores- Gibson, Big Muddy, Eastman etc and am still happy with my choice. I have a luthier in my family and he said the Weber is a quality instrument. I really like the smooth satin finish- understated but an eye catcher at jam sessions. It's a keeper! I have 2 other Mandos but it's my favorite.
    Are the Webers consistant in tone unlike say the Eastmans?

Yes, but remember they are indidual instrument no 2 will be exactly the same you really need to try one first . I have found the Webbers more consistent in town then the easement send easements are great and some not so what all five instruments just different sounding. Some instruments just suit my ears better than others even with the brand and style with in that brand.

20. The following members say thank you to texaspaul for this post:

Blog Entries

The Weber Gallatin A5 I own has incredible fit and finish, and a very complete tonal palate-- warm, resonant, strong bass and not too shrill. I am hesitant to consider moving it when I read this thread.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

Blog Entries

I am sure you will love it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

23. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I owned a Gallatin A for a couple years and loved it. It's a quality built instrument, you will love it. I upgraded to my Weber Yellowstone A about a year ago. Webers are fine instruments! Good luck in what ever you choose.
    Kentucky KM-1050 2021
    Pava Satin A 2018 #272
    Gibson A 1916 #25861 FON 2626

25. The following members say thank you to Gene Summers for this post: