Thread: Music Compo Cases

Default Music Compo Cases

Anybody ever seen or heard of these cases? http://www.musiccompo.com/carbon-fib...r-Case-Natural Should be quite light weight; and they're cheap, too. No Kevlar involved, though, so they may be hardly as sturdy as the Hoffees.

2. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Default Re: Music Compo Cases

It looks interesting but, rather than "cheap," I hope they're inexpensive. To me, there's a difference.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

It does say that it's '' highly impact & puncture proof '',so it maybe does have Kevlar as part of it's construction. If it doesn't - it ain't !!. CF on it's own is far from highly impact resistant & can easily de-laminate, causing it to become weak in those areas. As for being ''puncture proof'',that depends on how sharp the object is that hits it. Kevlar is helpful in preventing what you might term ''blunt force damage'' with the emphasis on the blunt. A really sharp point will penetrate even the best CF constructions unless they're very thick.
    It seems to be a very nicely made case - maybe an e-mail to the makers would give you the 'Kevlar' answer - http://www.musiccompo.com/index.php?...mation/contact
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I don't know how stiff the material is, but shouldn't there be at least one other lock between the hinges and one by the handle?
    Ah, the handle - looks like the ones that often had their leather worn out and broken on me against the metal rings; something more sturdy might be in order.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    It looks interesting but, rather than "cheap," I hope they're inexpensive. To me, there's a difference.
    I did mean "cheap".

7. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Ah, the handle - looks like the ones that often had their leather worn out and broken on me against the metal rings; something more sturdy might be in order.
    Then you must need the carbon fiber handle option they have listed further down the page. Interesting that they offer two different handles and two different latch styles. Not the options one usually sees.
    Mitch Russell

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

They look interesting but the website doesn't give the internal dimensions which would be important for me (all of my mandolins are a little larger than standard).

Those cases do look nice!

I just received an email from Music Compo Cases about the used materials and room for the head stock. Here is what "Casey" wrote:

Thanks for your email and your interests in our cases.

I'm glad to answer your questions.

1. Our mandolin case in carbonfiber is 1.9kgs and in fiberglass is 2.5kgs.

2. It seems you are very clear about composite material. We are using two kind of materials for our cases, one is fiberglass and another is carbonfiber. We don't use Kevlar in our shells, while we use Spheretex core material as renforcement.

You propose a good idea. But considering the strengh,weight and cost, Kevlar may only be used in some areas not the whole shell. We may try it.

3.I totally understand your concern, I will show some pictures for your assess.

As you see, the interior is wholly shaped by the shape of the mandolin. It can not move when the mandolin is put in.
    In the upper shell, we have two cushion in two sides to press the panel of the mandolin lightly in order to make sure the mandolin won't move when the case is closed.There are two holder laying under the mandolin neck. In order to make mandolin support well ,there are two grooves in the holder. You can see another cushion right up the neck in the upper shell, too. For the head, there is enough room when the mandolin is put in. And there is a cushion under the head. If an accident happened, the mandolin will fall on the cushion. Hope I explain it well.

So I think our case will protect the mandolin well. But if you have any suggestions, please feel free to contact me. We are glad to make some improvements.

Looking forward to your reply.
    Best Regards,
    Casey

A few pics from Music Compo Cases:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	151675Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	151676Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	151677Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	151678Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	151679Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	151680Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	151681Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	151677

Blog Entries

My first thought.... that is one grungy looking Kentucky right there!

Case looks "OK". Standard handle does look very weak. Probably worth a try at the price, provided shipping and import costs are not prohibitive....you could only really assess it by getting one and using it for a while... see how it holds up.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    one grungy looking Kentucky right there!
    ...without a bridge. Do you have to take that off to close the lid?
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post
    ...without a bridge. Do you have to take that off to close the lid?
    Had the same thought, Bertram. However - seriously - they seem to have really thought about how to avoid pressure on the top and back. Most other cases hold the mando down at the bridge.

'Spheretex' is something that i've not heard of,but having looked at the STex website it does appear to be an 'impact resistant' product,so the Music-Compo guys have addressed that problem. How it holds up against Kevlar,i've no idea without having some test data.

I'd imagine that having a mandolin around simply to try the cases out doesn't demand a bridge - or even strings for that matter. To produce a case where you need to remove the bridge to close the lid would possibly be one of the most ridiculous designs for any case ever !.

If i was in the market for a case like that,i'd try to find one to check it out. All told,it seems like a fairly good case,but i thought that about the Eastman fibreglass cases until i saw one. The shell was so thin as to be flexible. However,CF is more rigid than f/glass & this case seems to be pretty well made. As for the handle - it looks a tad 'skinny',but decent case handles can be bought cheaply & easily. I had to buy one for my Weber case,not that i use it,it's fat too heavy,but it's back in good order should i ever sell the Weber. 'Brettuns Village' in Maine, New England is a great store :- http://www.brettunsvillage.com/,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Blog Entries

I checked with them and they wanted $90 US to ship to the EU. That is not too bad for a case. So, $260 + $90 = $350 but then we have to add around 25% to cover import costs and VAT/IVA so around $437...not quite so cheap anymore. I don't need another case, anyway as I have a Pegasus and a Calton!
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I ordered one and will keep you informed.

Blog Entries

Excellent... look forward to your report! I must admit, I was tempted, but right now I am OK for cases... if I did not have the ones that I do, I would have ordered one myself. They do look nice.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

I look forward to reading your feedback Henry.

In the meantime I contacted them for internal case measurements and here's the information that Casey provided:

Overall length: 71cm
    Length of body compartment (to accessory compartment): 40cm
    Width for mandolin (allowing for foam padding): 26cm
    Shell width (not including foam): 30cm (Note: Thickness of foam can be varied if necessary to allow for larger instruments)
    Width of headstock compartment: 12cm

I hope this information will be helpful to those who are interested.

Just looked on their site for an A model case. I wonder why the A cases seem to hold the mandolin at the bridge while the F cases use the outer edges. I specifically wanted the hold to be at the edges so will not be purchasing one of these. I wonder tho why the difference.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

pops, don't hesitate to ask them. There is a good chance they will actually change their A model cases.

Just received the Music Compo case the other day. The main idea of that case is its light weight, only 2.3 kgs, less than half of a recent teardrop case made by Gary Price, which is 5 kgs. And it's small, the Korg "Bluegrass Tuner" (had to have it) does go into the cargo box, a set of strings, however, has to go under the head stock. I'd say the case is inexpensive, rather than cheap. Of course, it's not as stable as a Hoffee, Calton, Pegasus or Price, but as carry-on luggage on a plane, it's quite fine. Just don't stand on it; don't know about stabbing or throwing it around. Although they didn't quite nail the F5 shape by the body scroll, the mando fits snugly and can't move. The end pin is right by the third lock, wonder if that's a good idea. But I don't think you'd knock the HS scroll off, when you drop it from 3 feet height. There is about 15 mms room for the scroll plus 10 mms foam. The head stock tip has 10 mms room plus 10 mms padding. My case came (surprisingly) with two leather handles attached, each not overly strong, but quite good, and again, light weight. The mando appeared to be held down at the edges by two pads in the lid, but in reality the padding didn't touch my mando at the rim at all, instead the mando got pushed down at the pick guard, which shouldn't be in my book. I promised to write a review for the folks in Hong Kong, and I'll let them know that pick guards have become hip again among traditionalists. (I wonder if they thought of a tone guard at all.) I had the same pick guard issue with my Price case BTW and eventually removed part of the lid padding in both cases; works well now, although in the Music Compo case the padding still doesn't touch the mando, or only just a bit. The padding over the neck is a bit less shallow, but barely touches the strings, thus the mando is held down gently rather than firmly, I'd say. (No further padding in the lid BTW, just the three pads - beware of "blunt force damage".) Another issue, when you set the case down, it easily tips over (and the surface gets scratched), due to the only two (instead of four) rubber feet. Of course, this MC case is no match for a Price case, when it comes to safety, but it should be better, safer and lighter than most any plywood case.
    The last pic shows the MC case with part of the lid padding removed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050926.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	724.6 KB 
ID:	152206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050930.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	413.2 KB 
ID:	152207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050934.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	782.5 KB 
ID:	152208Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050935.jpg 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	152209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050940.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	517.2 KB 
ID:	152210Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050952.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	507.8 KB 
ID:	152211Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050953.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	466.2 KB 
ID:	152212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050958.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	209.7 KB 
ID:	152213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050959.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	152214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L1050960.jpg 
Size:	705.1 KB 
ID:	152215

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hendrik Ahrend For This Useful Post:

Many thanks for the review Henry. For it's price,it seems to be a very nice case. The 2 piece handle is odd,but it seems as strong as you'll ever need. I think that maybe,i'd remove the handle on the lid ( Handle & 'D' rings) & buy a good quality handle from ''Brettuns Village'' - http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunk.../schandles.htm.

I like the space around the headstock,& as long as the mandoilin is held firmly in place,the HS scroll is well protected. As to 'scratches',CF is a tad prone to them,so a good outer case cover would be in order,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

The redundant handle may seem odd, but is actually quite easy to "handle" and gives a good balance. BTW the company that makes this Music Compo case also makes the cases for Saga (Superior). Don't know, is there a case cover available that fits?

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Had the same thought, Bertram. However - seriously - they seem to have really thought about how to avoid pressure on the top and back. Most other cases hold the mando down at the bridge.
    Hmmm. The cases I have (and admire) don't press/touch anywhere near the bridge; just a neck area cradle/touch point and a tailpiece area touch point. As a matter of fact, I won't bother with a case which presses/touches anywhere else. ymmv.

Certainly right, Alan, newer Caltons, Pegasus, Mainstage, Hoffee and Price are absolutely fine in that respect. I was thinking of several newer cases, such as Collings, Superior and any older case including Calton.