Thread: Pete Strickler Irish tenor guitar album

Default Pete Strickler Irish tenor guitar album

Just want to take a moment to recommend Giotár, a really fine new release by Pete Strickler (tenor guitar) and Charlie Branch (guitar): http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/petestricklercharliebran. Marla Fibish featured on a track too. Tenor lovers and Irish tune lovers in general are going to find lots of goodness here!

No dogs in this, don't know the gentlemen, just wanted to share the news.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"
    - Neal Stephenson, Quicksilver

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mike Anderson For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pete Strickler Irish tenor guitar album

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Just want to take a moment to recommend Giotár, a really fine new release by Pete Strickler (tenor guitar) and Charlie Branch (guitar): http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/petestricklercharliebran. Marla Fibish featured on a track too. Tenor lovers and Irish tune lovers in general are going to find lots of goodness here!

No dogs in this, don't know the gentlemen, just wanted to share the news.
    Edit: if anyone's interested, here's Pete's Herb Taylor tenor: http://www.herbtaylor.com/instruments/tenorguitar/i138/.
    "But wasn't it all stupid nonsense, rot, gibberish, and criminally fraudulent nincompoopery?"

4. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post:

Very nice combo of tenor and guitar. Lovely tunes and nice playing. Easy on the ears.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Thanks, guys! Recording the album was certainly a learning experience, and recording with Charlie was a real treat. He had a way of bringing some really interesting textures to the music! There were even some things that he did that I hadn't really noticed until we were doing the final mix in the studio and were listening to each track under a microscope.

I'm primarily a banjo player, but there haven't been a ton of recordings of Irish trad. on tenor guitar, and it really is my favorite instrument to play. And thanks for the link to Herb's page on my guitar. I hadn't actually seen that page before, and now I know where to go when people ask me about the wood - especially the Chechen burl on the head stock, pick guard, and tailpiece. Not being a wood geek, I was always forgetting what that wood was...

I also played a little bit of another one of Herb's flat top tenor guitars when recording. It's not one that he has listed, because it was an experiment that he did, where it has both a tailpiece and a pin bridge. The tailpiece holds all the tension with help from a carbon fiber rod. And then the bridge loops the strings under a bar and then over the bridge, so it has all of maybe 3 mm of down pressure on the bridge. These things combined make it so the top can be very lightly braced, which makes the instrument quite stunning in volume for a tenor guitar. It was very hard for me to not plop down the cash for that instrument on the spot!

And, of course, playing with Marla Fibish was the real treat! She is my favorite waltz player of all time, so it was something special to have her play both mandolin and mandola on the set of waltzes. And to top it off, I mixed the album in San Francisco, and Marla endured all 3 days in the studio with me to be a second set of "trad ears", for which I am forever grateful!

Glad you're enjoying the album!

Pete

7. The following members say thank you to Reverend for this post:

Whoops, I stand corrected! Herb does have a page up about that other tenor: http://www.herbtaylor.com/instruments/tenorguitar/i183/

9. The following members say thank you to Reverend for this post:

I can't get enough of my Herb Taylor #173 either. Herb is a genius whose instruments call out to you once you play them. I had no intention of spending the money (I got a good deal and they are a value, but they are not cheap) but once I played #173 I had to have it. This seems to be the story I hear with all his instruments. This happens even though no two instruments are alike.

I saw several zouks built by Herb that have the same system as #183 and they were killers in both tone and volume. My tenor is loud, but these are incredible with wide dynamic range. I better not play #183 or I might buy it and have to live on gruel for a while.

Mike Keyes

11. The following members say thank you to mikeyes for this post:

Thanks for weighing in Pete, it was my pleasure to post about the album, which I discovered the day of release thanks to an article in The Session. And isn't that cool, three different Herb Taylor tenors, each completely unique in design!

Mike (K), you should try living 5 minutes from Herb. It makes life difficult sometimes when the instrument acquisition syndrome kicks in!

Mike (A), that's one of the cool things about Herb. Every one of his instruments is custom. He doesn't have specific "models" that he builds. Each one is made with different and interesting wood, and even when he makes an instrument "on spec", it's going to be unique. But where Herb really excels is in listening to what you want, and figuring out a way to make it happen. My tenor guitar has my "logo" inlaid in the head stock, and the neck dimensions are exactly what I specified, even though he had never made a neck like that before. Roger Landes even has a couple of bouzoukis that he helped Herb design a back that is somewhere between an arched back and a bowl back. Herb is really great an envisioning different ways to make things come together. And I consider his instruments to be well worth the money!

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reverend For This Useful Post:

Very cool Pete. Yep, I remember Roger's bouzouki, and I have a nice pic of it since I have his tutorial from Hal Leonard.

16. The following members say thank you to Mike Anderson for this post: