Thread: mando cello rough side dimensions

Default mando cello rough side dimensions

Hi All:

I'm getting ready to saw all my rough dimensional lumber for my mando cello build. What I am building will end up being similar to Weber's F style in size. I can't find anyone around me with a Weber and am wondering if anyone has a side dimension between the inside edges of the binding. My thought is 3 1/4 inches. With the binding the side excluding the arch would end up at 3 3/4. Can anyone verify or have an opinion? Thanks.

Default Re: mando cello rough side dimensions

From what you've said, it looks like you're about to have the cart before the horse a little bit.
    You should have your design finalized (and preferably drawn full size, front, side and back) before starting to cut wood.
    As for your question, sorry, I don't have access to a Weber 'cello to get measurements, but for rough cutting, oversized wood is a good idea anyway, unless you are limited by the size of the wood you are cutting from.

Can't help with Webber dimensions but just happen to a Gibson mando cello in for some work. Sides, including top and back are 3 1/4".
    Sucker for a hard luck case

Top, Bottom, headstock, and all blocks are drawn. Scale will be 25 1/2. Thicknesses and tone bars are all figured out. I'm going with F-holes. I just couldn't decide on side thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by joehendrick View Post
    Thicknesses and tone bars are all figured out.
    You sound very confident. :-) I look forward to seeing the result.

Here is another reference point: Gilchrist mandocello side dimension depth including binding is 3 1/4" (25 1/2" scale).