Thread: Joe Foley cittern & string choices

Default Joe Foley cittern & string choices

Today I've been practicing my Google-fu, searching in a bunch of forums to figure out some different tunings and string gauges to experiment with my Foley cittern (just posted some pictures here). Thought I might see if I could bounce a couple of things off of you guys.

I've had this instrument in GDADA since I acquired it this past spring, in an attempt to approximate ITM bouzouki GDAD type stuff with that extra A on the high course. I'd like to see what I can do utilizing the a low D though and go DGDAD/DGDGD. I'm about to order some strings and I'm wondering what gauges to go with for this. Graham McDonald's string tension calculator (which is superb - thanks Graham!) maxes out at .056 for wound strings. I've got .059w 047w .032w .020w .014 in my shopping cart right now but not sure if I'm going too thick or not thick enough on that low string (or on any of the courses for that matter).

I also ran across this thread over on Acoustic Guitar Forum by our own Mark Kunkel detailing a beautiful Forster 5-course instrument, tuned FCGAE, which sounds very intriguing to me and could be versatile with a capo. Mark, do you happen to recall the string gauges you used for that tuning? I ask because that instrument is nearly identical in scale length to mine (mine is 22.8"/580mm)...

Thanks for any thoughts -- my brain's a bit fried from all the string tension maths so I could use some help!
    Last edited by loess; Nov-08-2016 at 1:03pm.
    *¯`•.☽☆☾¸.•´¯*

Default Re: Joe Foley cittern & string choices

It's difficult when changing tunings that are so different. The issue is how you play. Are you playing tunes or accompanying another instrument that is playing the tune? When you set it up with a low bass course do you play a bass line or double stops? Try to record some things and listen to how your instrument sounds? Pick the setup that has the best tone that your instrument has and go from there.