Thread: Eastman 515 vs 815

Default Eastman 515 vs 815

Is the price difference of $600 for the 815 over the the 515 worth it? I've played both and the 815 did have better tone.

I am not happy with my The Loar 520 and plan to replace it in the near future.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

Default Re: Eastman 515 vs 815

It's purely aesthetics - the 815 gives you more highly figured wood, back binding, binding on the headstock and gold plated hardware. This may or may not be important to you. Eastmans are hand made instruments and no two are ever going to be identical. They don't seem to have the scientific consistency of say a Collings. It's probably more important how an individual Eastman sounds and plays for you. Is there a particular issue with the Loar?

I can't say about the difference between the 515 and 815. I can only tell you that I own an 815V and am very happy with it.

A few weeks ago I had the chance to play a $9.5k Ellis. The Ellis is an excellent mando, but I didn't hear an $8,000 difference. I think the 815 is a great-sounding instrument at a great price.

4. The following members say thank you to billykatzz for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by James Rankine View Post
    It's purely aesthetics - the 815 gives you more highly figured wood, back binding, binding on the headstock and gold plated hardware. This may or may not be important to you. Eastmans are hand made instruments and no two are ever going to be identical. They don't seem to have the scientific consistency of say a Collings. It's probably more important how an individual Eastman sounds and plays for you. Is there a particular issue with the Loar?
    I don't care for the way the 520 sounds. After playing some other mandolins, I came to realize the neck is too wide/thick for my hand. Otherwise it is good quality instrument for the price.
    Eastman MD 515
    1991 33SB Gemeinhardt Flute
    1996 Yamaha YAS 62 Alto Sax

Down the road I go Trav'linmando's Avatar

When I bought my 815V I compared it favorably with a Collins next to it. No , it was not as sweet sounding overall but close and more importantly for me 1/2 the price.
    Very few of us know, how much we have to know, in order to know, how little we know.
    Father Ed Dowling

Pava A5 #156
    Eastman 815V
    Eastman 514
    Eastman 404
    Godin A8

The difference between my 615 and 915 is like light and dark, the 815s I have played are also a lot better sounding than the 615.

You get what you pay for.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

The 815 has a red spruce top vs sitka on the 515...as far as tone, I think it's probably more of an individual variation between mandolins more than model variation. I've played a couple of md515s that were really good mandolins...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

9. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

I have an older 815V and it's stellar, I've had it to Gryphon, played it with a lot of others, it's pretty GOOD...the Cumberland Acoustic bridge made a very big difference. I did own a 514 (oval hole) that was great and a 315 that was almost as good...good stuff from these folks