Thread: A few easy Django tunes?

Default A few easy Django tunes?

I'm attending the Django in Georgetown Workshops on Nov 12, 2016 by Jason Anick and Rhythm Future Quartet.
    Sessions by Jason Anick on violin, which I'm going to join in on mandolin.
    They also are having sessions on guitar and bass.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/django-...ts-28609376415
    I'm looking to learn a few easier Django tunes before going.
    I play Minor Swing and Nuages already, along with some other swing and samba tunes not by Django.
    Just hoping to get some suggestions on 2 or 3 tunes that I can work on a bit before the workshop.

Thanks!
    Al

Blog Entries

Default Re: A few easy Django tunes?

Wanted to make sure you got an answer to this. On a Friday night things tend to move down the queue quicker.

Sort of depends upon what Django era but I have a good idea for starters. I personally prefer the mid to late 30s era when the band was really finding its voice and was raw as hell. Plenty of years after when Django was recording with big bands which I'm not as crazy about. In the early 50s before he died he was a credible electric bebop style player. Wild stuff. A fair amount of the basics revolve around rhythm changes (I've Got Rhythm) although certainly more than that, but a great start and there are plenty of tunes that roughly follow this like Daphne, Swing 42 and Belleville. Thinking for the sake of a workshop they are going to be looking at the 30s style and not getting overly technical. Those three tunes are good starters, fairly similar. Others may prefer different tunes. It's the internet.

I've attached a copy of a Django Fakebook below that has 200 tunes including the three quoted above, in printable PDF. That'll get you started! Have fun. I think the mandolin is way, way underappreciated in this kind of music and should appear more. If you study the basis "la pompe" or "la pomp" or however the French spell it--it's the basic back beat rhythm, it's absolutely perfect for mandolin, and playing rhythm with another stringed instrument or two in a group is a magical experience in gypsy jazz.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	django.pdf 
Views:	539 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	150970

Edit: there are some remarkable players on this forum that can speak better than me to this. Don Stiernberg, etc.

3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

These are great suggestions, Scott, and the Django Facebook is an essential resource, with arrangements in mandolin-friendly keys. For those of us who can't play endless flashy leads, rhythm is a big part of the fun of the Gypsy Jazz experience. Lots of videos about Le Pompe and other Gypsy rhythm patterns out there- it isn't a bluegrass chop. Also, don't forget to use minor-6th voicings for a lot of your rhythm playing when the tune calls for a minor chord. Gets you that smoky Gypsy vibe!

Have a ton of fun at the workshop- wish I could go!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Soper For This Useful Post:

Thanks for that! I'll check out the fakebook.
    I know swing 42, but have not checked out Daphne or Belleville. Will give them a listen and see what I can figure out.
    If anyone else is interested in attending the workshops in Georgetown, I'm driving from Boulder. Happy to give you a ride.

Here is a free dl of "The Majic of Django" . Ten songs with chords. No tab.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3273...-REINHARDT-pdf

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Visentin For This Useful Post:

Some easy Django tunes - the head that is, the solos are what you make it (not including standard jazz tunes):

Minor Swing

Blue Drag

Are You in the Mood

Daphne

HCQ Strut

Manoir de mes Reves

Swing 48

Swing de Paris

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

You might add some not too difficult jazz standards that Django used to play such as:

After you've gone

All of me

Georgia on my mind

I'll see you in my dreams

The Sheik of Araby

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crisscross For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    You might add some not too difficult jazz standards that Django used to play such as:

After you've gone

All of me

Georgia on my mind

I'll see you in my dreams

The Sheik of Araby
    There are lots of those!

Lady Be Good

Caravan

Them There eyes

etc.

most are in the Django fakebook

14. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

I play some of those standards already. Thanks!
    I'm printing a few from the fakebook and I'll work on them for the week.

16. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Checked out Swing 48 last night. Great tune! Working on it. Also, at the suggestion of Jason Anick, I'm checking out Dark Eyes.
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

18. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Let's see, easy Django tunes? Well, some are easier than you might think, maybe even lay out better on mandolin than they do on guitar. Take a look at Swing 39, Dinette, and Douce Ambiance(which makes a nice chord melody) and Belleville. These and many other tunes by Django and others of that era are riff or phrase oriented: one or some of the phrases will be repeated and combined with connecting material, making the memorization of the tune easier. Belleville, I think of as a simple lick in the A section, and a rather unscripted "play over the changes" B section..

Then there are the ones that come up often at the Djams. Along with the aforementioned Django and contemporary with Django tunes, you'll most likely run into Coquette, Blues Minuer(Minor Blues, as opposed to Minor Swing..)Djangology, Django Rag, I'll See You in My Dreams, Margie

I love all of it, but particularly the electric stuff. Well, no, particularly a few tunes from that later era where the solos seem supercharged and inspired. I love playing Topsy and Brazil, wish there were more opportunities to play September Song.

A couple that haunt me that are nastier to figure out and played much less often at the Djams are Anouman and Nuits de Saint-Germain-des-Pres.

I think Django is perhaps under-rated as a jazz composer. Yes, Nuages is a super standard. But so many of his other tunes are touchingly beautiful. He did what other jazzers did, use harmonic sequences of pop tunes of the day and write new melodies for them. Every so often it would be an A section from one tune combined with the B of another. Sometimes an original lick or riff over "rhythm" type changes, other times a completely original self contained complete melody, and not-so-conventional changes.

The incredibly prolific Django passed way before his time in 1953. His virtuosity as a guitarist and his accompanying mysterious superstar personality may actually overshadow his contributions as composer/tunewriter/arranger!We can rectify that slight by jazz history by rooting out these great tunes and playing them. Here it is 2016, and the Cubs have won the Series even, but Django is still unsurpassed as a guitar player, and we all having some catching up to do on his legacy of great tuneage.

20. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Don Stiernberg For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks Don! I'll check those out!
    I love September Song. Especially this version

PS- Congrats to you and the Cubs!

If you want to take it to the "next level" with some of the songs that have been mentioned, you could order Alex Heflin's mandolin Omnibook.

http://jazzmando.com/new/archives/002537.shtml

It includes transcriptions of Don Stiernberg solos (and many others).... Yes, it's best if you can improvise your own flashy solos, but for mere mortals, it's pretty fun and a great learning experience to conquer some of these solos. (Obviously, they are very difficult but you'll sound "legit" if you can play them!)
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

23. The following members say thank you to Jstring for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    If you want to take it to the "next level" with some of the songs that have been mentioned, you could order Alex Heflin's mandolin Omnibook.

http://jazzmando.com/new/archives/002537.shtml

It includes transcriptions of Don Stiernberg solos (and many others).... Yes, it's best if you can improvise your own flashy solos, but for mere mortals, it's pretty fun and a great learning experience to conquer some of these solos. (Obviously, they are very difficult but you'll sound "legit" if you can play them!)
    That would be super awesome, if I wasn't such a terrible chart reader. I have tried for many years to learn to read music, but I'm still like a child, sounding out each letter/note. I'm in awe of people who can read it with fluency, much less those who can listen to and then transcribe. While I'd love to "take it to the next level", I think starting on level one is probably best. I have always played "by ear", though sometimes that means that it sounds like I'm using my ear to fret the instrument. Not very effective.
    You'd think with all of the math courses I've taken to earn a degree in physics, music and it's notation would make some sense to me. It just seems like jumping into jazz, I'm suddenly learning differential equations and my brain is stuck on long division. Don't get me started on the trigonometric substitution that seems to be going on in the brains of great musicians, without them even breaking a sweat.
    Still, the sound and feel of this music is so compelling, I'm caught in its vortex and I'm going to grab on to anything I can as it flies past me swirling faster and faster...
    Looking forward to some instruction at the workshop!

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    That would be super awesome, if I wasn't such a terrible chart reader. I have tried for many years to learn to read music, but I'm still like a child, sounding out each letter/note. I'm in awe of people who can read it with fluency, much less those who can listen to and then transcribe. While I'd love to "take it to the next level", I think starting on level one is probably best. I have always played "by ear", though sometimes that means that it sounds like I'm using my ear to fret the instrument. Not very effective.
    You'd think with all of the math courses I've taken to earn a degree in physics, music and it's notation would make some sense to me. It just seems like jumping into jazz, I'm suddenly learning differential equations and my brain is stuck on long division. Don't get me started on the trigonometric substitution that seems to be going on in the brains of great musicians, without them even breaking a sweat.
    Still, the sound and feel of this music is so compelling, I'm caught in its vortex and I'm going to grab on to anything I can as it flies past me swirling faster and faster...
    Looking forward to some instruction at the workshop!
    I am in the same boat re: reading music notation. Maybe once I retire (again), I'll have enough available time to get past the mental roadblock. Tablature, however, is another story - and it has taught me a ton. The Omnibook contains both notation and tab, and is a fantastic resource packed full of interesting places to put your fingers. No financial interest - just a very happy purchaser.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.

26. The following members say thank you to Rick Jones for this post:

Use the notation but the best way to learn jazz is to LISTEN TO THE TUNES!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Use the notation but the best way to learn jazz is to LISTEN TO THE TUNES!
    The notation is actually a hindrance to me most of the time. It certainly helps with chords and basic structure, but it gets in the way more than it helps at this point. I've found it really enlightening to just listen to the many versions that are so easy to find on youtube. Also some great instructional videos from lots of folks. Also great to be able to use the 1/2 speed options in youtube.

29. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Blog Entries

Pretty easy to find gypsy jazz backing tracks on YouTube. Check out user gale rouilhac who has at least a couple dozen nice, extended rhythm tracks you can practice behind.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandolin Cafe View Post
    Pretty easy to find gypsy jazz backing tracks on YouTube. Check out user gale rouilhac who has at least a couple dozen nice, extended rhythm tracks you can practice behind.
    Thanks! I'll check them out!
    I've been using these from Clément Reboul and have found them to be a great tempo, and simple enough to hear what I'm playing and where the song is going.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

derbexDSDarr 

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

What are the current Django standards in the crossover/string jams? (as opposed to jazz player jams)

It's been quite awhile (20+ years) since I played some of this stuff. (Been awhile since I've listened to the discs too.) Used to do

"Minor Swing" (both the 1-part Am version, and the Dawg Dm 2-part version)
    "Tears",
    "Melodie Au Crepescule",
    "Daphne",
    "Appel Direct"
    "HCQ Strut",
    "Blue Drag",
    "Belleville",
    "Swing 42"

and some of the standards from the great 1937-1939 period Hot Club:
    "Honeysuckle Rose",
    "Sweet Georgia Brown",
    "After You've Gone",
    "Nagasaki",
    "Limehouse Blues"

(Agree totally with Scott T about the late 30's recordings being amongst the best ever. My favorite smokin' period, I must say.)

Just curious as to what is currently in heavy rotation jamwise. so I can pull off some of these to tempo on flute. Also, if the "standard" key has changed to something other than the original Django/Grappeli key(s).

Niles H

35. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Thanks everybody for the suggestions! I printed the Django fakebook. Very helpful.
    The workshop was great! Jason Anick had some excellent suggestions for exercises that will help with soloing and getting more familiar with the fretboard.
    The jam was also a blast!
    I think I'm going to keep at it.
    Thinking of taking Matt Flinner's gypsy swing mandolin course.
    http://www.mattflinner.com/2016/11/g...er-curriculum/
    Also found out about a Django jam in Denver that I'm going to checkout.
    Thanks again for the suggestions and help!

37. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I play in a fantastic Django trio that has been the house band at Ben's Tune Up here in Asheville something like the last 165 Saturdays in a row. Lots of great suggestions here, but I would not reccommend even printing out that 2008 Django Fakebook. Probably about 1/3 the tunes are in keys different than the majority of players I know play them in. While there may be some merit in seeing the changes, spending all of that energy to show up at a jam or gig and realize that you learned it in the wrong key and don't have the chops to transcribe on the fly is very frustrating. Like it or not, Django's music is very guitar centered and almost every guitar player in the country uses the Robin Nolan little red gig book as their bible for keys and arrangements. Here is a downloadable 30 day free trial; you can also find it over at djangobooks.com :

https://www.scribd.com/doc/246250799...n-The-Gig-Book

After that, make sure to familiarize yourself with the Rosenberg Trio, as they set the contemporary standard and their versions of Bossa Dorado and For Sephora are played in almost every gig and djam I have been to in the last ten years. As a jazz player, For Sephora is almost a freebie since the A part is a 1-4-5 in Emin and the B part is Autumn leaves in A. Most Django bands I know basically play their Live at the North Shore Jazz Festival cd arrangements as one whole set. The other person who seems to be showing up at every gig / djam is Gonzalo Bergara, particularly Elena's Bossa. That is one of the new standards. Guet Apens by Romane is also a strong djam tune around here.

For Sephora:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp4K-DLv4oQ

Elena's Bossa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y1apxMpDRg

Fantastic to see players like Don posting here. Two years ago I had the good fortune to get paid to play a gig at The Isis with Don, Greg Ruby, Evan Price, and Steve Karla. Getting paid to gig with your heroes- life does not get much better than that!

j.
    www.condino.com

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the suggestions! I will certainly look into it.
    Had a great time at the workshop and was excited to dig in to the exercises from it. Unfortunately, I'll be taking a week or two off from mandolin playing due to an unforced error. If you're squeamish, stop reading now.

I've been finishing the garage at our house and I nearly sliced the tip of my left index finger in half while cutting with a razor blade. The blade glanced off of my callous and shot right down next to my fingernail. I was able to get the bleeding to stop by applying pressure and I super-glued it shut. I think it will heal up OK since it was such a clean cut, but it is super tender. Likely will be 2 weeks or so until I can play with that finger again.
    Fitting, I guess, that I'm learning Django tunes and can't use all of the fingers on my left hand.

Anyhow, thanks for the great recommendations and support!
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Likely will be 2 weeks or so until I can play with that finger again.
    Fitting, I guess, that I'm learning Django tunes and can't use all of the fingers on my left hand.

Anyhow, thanks for the great recommendations and support!
    Al
    Now don't overdo the authenticity with your fingers - I'm happy you weren't seriously hurt.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/me...canyonminstrel - great advice

In addition to the others already mentioned, here are two "manouche" play along sites :
    nuage de swing
    grilles-manouches

the second one usually offers a video with the solo part and one without.

43. The following members say thank you to Mishkyn for this post: