Thread: Gibson Lloyd Loar Fit and Finish

Default Gibson Lloyd Loar Fit and Finish

On a 10 point scale, how do you rate the fit and finish on a Gibson F5 Lloyd Loar signed mandolin compared to the best makers today?
    John A. Karsemeyer

Default Re: Gibson Lloyd Loar Fit and Finish

About an 8 or a 9. Definitely not a 10.
    Just my opinion.

But who cares?
    On the infamous Charm Scale, a 10...

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

It should be noted that a (Gibson) factory finish was once the standard that everyone aspired to achieve. Not so long ago, maybe 25-30 years ago?, you could always tell when a guitar had been refinished (usually from across the room) -- it simply did not meet the mark. (marque) Since the advent of the "boutique" builders much study has gone into the techniques and compositions of finishes (of olde) and the quality has equaled and in the case of new instruments surpassed factory work. Many appraisals by respected authorities (you know their names) have deemed refinished guitars to be original, especially on Fender custom colors, when in fact they were refinished and aged, and some will even pass the blacklight test. It has been said that we are currently living in the golden age of luthiery with respect to the abilities of a handful of craftsmen -- not sure I agree or see the point -- but I like vintage instruments, so............

The thing is, standards have risen. The best "fit and finish" we see today would have been about a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10 in 1923.
    In their day, they were probably at least an 8 on average. There was quite a bit of variation in the details of binding and so forth, I suppose depending on who did the work.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sunburst For This Useful Post:

As has been stated many times, the Loars were factory production instruments. Today's custom builders do a fabulous job for the most part on their finishes.
    ..... f5joe

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to f5joe For This Useful Post:

Seems like the best choice would be a Loar - refinished by Stephen Gilchrist.

11. The following members say thank you to Hendrik Ahrend for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunburst View Post
    The thing is, standards have risen. The best "fit and finish" we see today would have been about a 15 on a scale of 1 to 10 in 1923.
    In their day, they were probably at least an 8 on average. There was quite a bit of variation in the details of binding and so forth, I suppose depending on who did the work.
    Yes, a mixed bag of factory bench worker's artistry cannot be compared fairly against that of one man who's entire reputation and potential business success will be judged upon every tiny detail that he labours over.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

13. The following members say thank you to Fretbear for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Yes, a mixed bag of factory bench worker's artistry cannot be compared fairly against that of one man who's entire reputation and potential business success will be judged upon every tiny detail that he labours over.
    Yes, a mixed bag of factory bench worker's artistry cannot be compared fairly against that of a properly set up CNC.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fretbear View Post
    Well......yes and no. Gibson has a man who sprays 30 sunbursts a day, week after week, year after year, you get pretty good at it -- versus a man who completes 6 instruments a year......something to think about. Now, the boutique guy can go back and "rework" a mistake until it is perfect and nobody knows.....I will grant you that.

Years ago, I knew a manager of an Earl Scheib car painting shop, you know the one......"I will paint any car for $69.95....." Anyway he told me his painter could paint car after car without any runs, because he had more experience having done more cars than the guys at the high priced shops.........and same with factory work -- they don't have time for mistakes at that price. (I'm quoting a price from my youth, probably is more today, if they still exist, not sure)

I remember Earl Scheib! Yep, $69.95 any car any time. Most of the results looked like that too as I recall, not baa ad but, not "100 points" either. Paint it to cover bad stuff and trade them in.
    This is a strange subject due to the wide spectrum of current builders. You have the massive factory builds with fit and finish "within spec" and, the afore mentioned "boutique builders" that strive for excellence in every step, as well as smaller production places that may do some aspects extremely well and may not do some others as well. Not all builders do all things equally well. In the current world, we have the use of the CNC, more exact measuring instruments, diversity of finishes. Everything which were the things of "Mandrake the Magician" back then, it was before Buck Rogers after all.
    Let's see someone use the "old techniques" and see how fast they achieve the numbers and quality? Well, get a crew together and do it, not one guy just to be clear.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    Well......yes and no. Gibson has a man who sprays 30 sunbursts a day, week after week, year after year, you get pretty good at it -- versus a man who completes 6 instruments a year......something to think about. Now, the boutique guy can go back and "rework" a mistake until it is perfect and nobody knows.....I will grant you that.

Years ago, I knew a manager of an Earl Scheib car painting shop, you know the one......"I will paint any car for $69.95....." Anyway he told me his painter could paint car after car without any runs, because he had more experience having done more cars than the guys at the high priced shops.........and same with factory work -- they don't have time for mistakes at that price. (I'm quoting a price from my youth, probably is more today, if they still exist, not sure)

You boys must be mighty young. I had Earl Sheib paint my 57 Chevy for $39.95 + $5.00 extra for metallic paint in 1967. It turned out real good, but I did all the prep work and laid down the primer myself.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    You boys must be mighty young. I had Earl Sheib paint my 57 Chevy for $39.95 + $5.00 extra for metallic paint in 1967. It turned out real good, but I did all the prep work and laid down the primer myself.
    That's why it turned out "right"!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

The price changed over the years, but the slogan was "I'll paint any car, any color for (fill in the price). No ups and no extras!"

Many times that included the tires, the 'aerial' and at least some of the windshield.

21. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Got my 57 Chevy done in '67 for $29.95. Should have put that money in the engine.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Hilburn For This Useful Post: