Thread: Connecticut bluegrass jam?

Default Connecticut bluegrass jam?

Hello all

Heading to ct for some work training and would like to find a bluegrass to take part in. Next week Tuesday to Thursday.

Thank
    Al
    J Bovier F5 Studio Mandolin - Aged Brown Oil
    MD-615 Eastman
    MM-30S Epiphone

Default Re: Connecticut bluegrass jam?

You might tell folks where in CT you will be. Otherwise you may have to travel an hour or more.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Connecticut is not known as a hotbed for bluegrass music but you might find players and there are other things/places/stores worth checking out if you have the time as long as they are open for business outside your training. Fall foliage might also be in peak season depending where you will be.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

There are players, will you be there over a weekend? What area? Try Chris Wuerth's Guitartownct website and email him. He's centrally located in Hamden and is far more bluegrass oriented that most in the state. The link to his email is at the top of the homepage. We have an all-ages fiddle club in Madison that goes Sunday afternoons, but we mix in a lot of old-time and Celtic. Right now, we're going over a lot of Scots stuff, if that's at all interesting.

If you're in Fairfield county, many head over to the Westchester bluegrass club. There's a lot more going on than people realize!

I know that there are old time jams in the New Haven area and I would bet that there are also bluegrass. Same in Hartford but I don't know of anything in particular. I do know players in that area but not bluegrassers.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Sorry about that. Yes I am in Meriden .

Al
    Last edited by albeham; Oct-25-2016 at 9:06pm. Reason: SPelling
    J Bovier F5 Studio Mandolin - Aged Brown Oil
    MD-615 Eastman
    MM-30S Epiphone

Being somewhat centrally located there, I'd get in touch with Chris at the aforementioned Guitartown site. He's the best source for the middle of the state.

Anything going on in the Mystic/New London area Dec 5 - 9?

From the CT BG Association website it looks like possibly an acoustic jam at Connecticut College on Tues, or perhaps a BG jam at the Exchange Bar & Grill the same night (but I can't tell from the venue's website). I'll be traveling with my Hamlett A.
    Clark Beavans

On the ct bg website there are emails and phone numbers. Just call or email, they're all good guys, The current leader, Chris Wuerth, is a very responsive dude. I know coming from down south it may seem like we northerners are a touchy bunch, but don;t worry, we don't bite.. Too bad you're leaving on the 9th, I have Darol Anger, Tony Trischka and friends coming in for a Christmas show on the 10th

For everyone's convenience:
    This web page of CTBGMA would list lots of BG jams in CT.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: