Thread: Unknown Brand/Model Mandolin.

Default Unknown Brand/Model Mandolin.

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I inherted 3 mandolins years ago (2 from my great grandfather, 1 from my great aunt). I was able to identify one, which, unfortunately had been cracked and glued on the left and right side of the body. I know that significantly reduces the its value, which is a shame.

However, I sit here with two other mandolins, one a Strad-O-Lin, and the other I cannot identify the make/model.

I was wondering if one of the members here on this website can assist me with that.

Thank you.
    Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	424.1 KB 
ID:	150510   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	304.8 KB 
ID:	150511   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	636.6 KB 
ID:	150512  

Default Re: Unknown Brand/Model Mandolin.

Brian, these were marketed under several brand names the most common being Blue Comet. Many were made "for the trade" with no brand name allowing the retailer, teacher or school to sell them as their own brand.

Here is one of many threads that should provide you some information.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

In addition, here is every thread with the words Blue Comet in them.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Brian, these were marketed under several brand names the most common being Blue Comet. Many were made "for the trade" with no brand name allowing the retailer, teacher or school to sell them as their own brand.

Here is one of many threads that should provide you some information.
    Okay. I'm not sure if am replying correctly but I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for the prompt response. I looked on the link you posted and I didn't see anything (yet) that could definitively say who made the mandolin as there were quite a few suggestions (Regal, Blue Comet, etc.). I would like to sell the mandolin, but I honed don't know how I would do that if I don't know the make/model. Does the mandolin have any resale value. I am a musician and audio engineer, so, if I could sell a mandolin or two that I have, I could put it towards some equipment.

Here are some pictures of "The Gibson" mandolin with a model number of 29906. The numbers were very hard to make out because it was written in pencil on the inside of the mandolin.

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg 
Views:	264 
Size:	416.3 KB 
ID:	150519   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0374.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	399.9 KB 
ID:	150520   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	346.9 KB 
ID:	150521  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0373.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	410.3 KB 
ID:	150522  

Nobody knows who made them, they like the Strad-O-Lins are a mystery.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by bran.greco@live.com View Post
    Here are some pictures of "The Gibson" mandolin with a model number of 29906. The numbers were very hard to make out because it was written in pencil on the inside of the mandolin.
    Look inside towards the head block where the neck attaches too the body. Is there a stamped number there? That will be the Factory Order Number. Give me that and we can probably give you a definitive year of manufacture and a model number. What have is the serial number and those aren't always reliable.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

If you're selling it on eBay you can use any of the common brands and note that yours is unmarked. They are on eBay weekly. They aren't any more valuable with a brand name than they are without one.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Interestingly, the information inside, as I mentioned, is filled in in pencil. There is the Gibson warranty sticker, but the information is filled out like I said in pencil, which I have never seen, even as a guitarist. So, funny enough, there is no stamped number. What is filled in, is the style (A) and the number I mentioned (29906). Again, I am a guitarist so I know little about mandolins. However, every guitar I have seen has had a stamped number inside, not one hand written.

I know you think this is strange that it's hand written but they all were at that period of time. In addition they generally penciled in the serial number behind the label as well in case the label fell out. I'm not looking for that serial number. I'm looking for a stamped number that will probably be inside on the head block. That is the Factory Order Number. You will probably need a flashlight to see it and if the inside of the instrument is dusty you'll need to clean it a bit to see it. It will probably be there.

Here is a picture of a FON and the label from a Style 0 guitar from that era.

Name:	10051GibsonguitarlabelLG.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	476.7 KB 
ID:	150532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86134_fon.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	150533  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I know you think this is strange that it's hand written but they all were at that period of time. In addition they generally penciled in the serial number behind the label as well in case the label fell out. I'm not looking for that serial number. I'm looking for a stamped number that will probably be inside on the head block. That is the Factory Order Number. You will probably need a flashlight to see it and if the inside of the instrument is dusty you'll need to clean it a bit to see it. It will probably be there.

Here is a picture of a FON and the label from a Style 0 guitar from that era.
    Okay, finally. Sorry about the delay. I found it. The number is 3032

That FON corresponds to a 1915 Model A Mandolin. Let me check out to make sure they didn't repeat that FON.

The serial number puts it as a 1916 model. Use the FON to date it or you can include both the serial and the FON in the description. The FON has proven to be the better item to determine the year of manufacture.

It also fits the description of the A model mandolin from that era. This would have been the bottom of the Gibson line as far as ornamentation went. No peghead logo, no binding on the fretboard or back.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Okay. So, It's definitely a 1916 model A, not a 1915 Model A as you first mentioned?

I have been browsing eBay. Generally speaking with the condition it's in, what do you think we be a realistic selling price?

No, it's probably a 1915. use the FON.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Thank you for the education and your help, Mike.

Only go by the completed sales when determining the value on ebay. Look at the completed auctions only and note the green numbers. That means it sold. The first one that comes up on this list is a Buy it Now for 1000.00. That's an outlier but who knows. If you don't have the original case it will sell for less. Yours has some wear that will knock it back a bit. I'd look for the highest price any model A before 1920 got and set the reserve higher than that. Let it go through the bidding process. Whatever the highest bid ends up then relist at that amount. You have the original tailpiece cover and the pickguard clamp. Those are pluses. The original case in decent shape is great, in poor shape is better than not having it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Only go by the completed sales when determining the value on ebay. Look at the completed auctions only and note the green numbers. That means it sold. The first one that comes up on this list is a Buy it Now for 1000.00. That's an outlier but who knows. If you don't have the original case it will sell for less. Yours has some wear that will knock it back a bit. I'd look for the highest price any model A before 1920 got and set the reserve higher than that. Let it go through the bidding process. Whatever the highest bid ends up then relist at that amount. You have the original tailpiece cover and the pickguard clamp. Those are pluses. The original case in decent shape is great, in poor shape is better than not having it.
    OK. What I did was list for $1250 "buy it now" price. I start at the auction somewhere around $950. I decided not to do a reserve price, because that would take a chunk of money away from the final sale. Plus, I don't want to continually have to relist it. If I end up getting close to $1000 for the condition it's in, I'm content with that. However, I would love more, but there models in much better condition before the year 1920.

Cool. If it doesn't sell I believe it's still free to relist. Good luck with it.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Cool. If it doesn't sell I believe it's still free to relist. Good luck with it.
    Thanks. Yes, I can always relist for free, I'm just hoping I don't have to. Just curious. I posted the other banjo as well (the supposed Blue Comet banjo). What would someone sell that particular banjo for in the shape it's in? I know I that I posted only a few pictures on this thread, so it's hard to give a full assessment. Just curious nonetheless.

Thanks,
    Brian

You mean the mandolin? Use the brand names in the first link I sent you on them and check the sold auctions on eBay. I'll be honest, they don't have a great reputation.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

You mean the mandolin? Use the brand names in the first link I sent you on them and check the sold auctions on eBay. I'll be honest, they don't have a great reputation.
    I figured that much. I guess $400 is a little high then. I will check out "sold" Blue Comet mandolins.