Thread: String Suggestion for Vintage Gibson

Default String Suggestion for Vintage Gibson

I have a 1935 Gibson A00 (Flat Back) currently sporting a fresh set of EJ74's.

The issue is that the A and E strings are almost what I would call shrill on this mandolin.

I use this mando for Old Time and Celtic jams, so I'm really just looking for better balance. I know that the EJ74's are "trebly" even on a more current BG oriented mando, so I am looking for some suggestions for strings that may take a little off the top end.

Thanks
    Northfield A5S "Grey Fox"
    Northfield Model M
    Weber Sweet Pea

Default Re: String Suggestion for Vintage Gibson

not much variance possible A & E are both plain Music wire.. every one Uses that kind of steel

all you can do is go thinner in D'Add thats the 73.. Or maybe add Mass to the bridge?

A mandola will take the whole E string Off the Top End .. CGDA (e eliminated)
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Wouldn't going heavier alleviate the "shrillness", ie. J75s, or at least the A and E strings from a J75 set?

If you like the phosphor bronze sound, try D'Addario EFT-74 Flat Tops. They sound really good on my Gibson F-12 and have wound not plain A strings. For a mellower sound, I'm currently using D'A EFW-74 Flat Wound steel strings on my Gibson oval hole F-4. Get a set of each and give 'em a try.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

5. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

if you got the money, try Thomastik. Their, "Heavies" are finer than '74s. The A strings are wound.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I have like 73s on my 22A, aluminum topped bridge too , i wouldn't call it Shrill

At a Celtic jam, here, I can hardly hear my self over all the sight reading violin players .

I did better in small coastal Pubs, in Ireland..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I find that if my bridge is not in the right place and intonation is off the sound gets shrill. If you changed gauges of strings and or raised or lowered you action then the bridge may need to be moved a trifle. Sounds weird, but I also find if the two strings are not in tune with each other, a slight amount here, they will be brighter. If I am playing and I notice my E string is bright first thing I will do is check tuning and most times when tuned it is much warmer. Most tuners are not capable of tuning these accurately so if you are not using a strobe or really quality tuner use your ear in a quiet place and see if that helps.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

From the OP - "I know that the EJ74's are "trebly" ...". Not on any of mine they weren't !. No more so than any other strings anyway. My Weber "Fern" sounds a tad 'bright' with any brand of strings,but i've learned to live with that as the brightness wears off over a week or 2. I've had EJ74's on my Weber for 6 weeks now & they sound pretty well balanced. I will be going back to my favourite strings,DR MD11's on my Weber at the next string change - simply for the added 'punch' that the DR's give.

One set of strings that you might try,are GHS A270's. I use those on my Ellis "A" style & they are a very sweet toned string. The "A" strings are .016" gauge,against the .015" gauge of the EJ74's,but they don't sound any more 'prominent' (louder/stonger)
    because of that. They might be worth trying out,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Like Fatt-dad, I use Thomastiks on my 1921 A2. They are smooth and balanced; perfect for Celtic, Old time and fiddle tunes. They are initially expensive, but they last so long that they are quite economical.

11. The following members say thank you to Hockey Puck for this post: