Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thile's First Prairie Home Companion

Default Thile's First Prairie Home Companion

Anybody else catch it? I really enjoyed it--a lot more music. A fresh update for an old favorite.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Grieser For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Thile's First Prairie Home Companion

Drat... my local NPR station KUOW Seattle decided not to carry PHC in its original slot today, just the repeat on Sunday morning at 10am (grumble). I'll bet they're not the only one, until Thile builds the audience. I'll listen tomorrow.

I watched the stream on my TV, I thought it was great. Very little in the way of sketches and lots more music. I've never heard Lake Street Dive before, I thought they were great. Jack White was better than I was expecting...

There was a live video feed on-line. Sorry, I should have alerted the mandocafe.

Great music from Lake Street Dive--never heard of them before. Amazing lead singer--what a voice.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

It's also streamed live on their site at www.prairiehome.org. That's how I watched today. It was very entertaining. I think that Chris T may be around the dial for a while. I was particularly impressed with Sarah Jarosz's vocal harmonies in the house band. All of their harmonies were tight. Gotta make time each week to watch this.
    "I yam what I yam"

Registered User Douglas McMullin's Avatar

I was only able to take in the first half, but I thought it was excellent.

I caught some but not all of it. I really enjoyed it. Actually, I preferred it to what PHC had become of late. Good job Chris!
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

I live streamed it too. I also enjoyed the line up with a focus on musical acts. Chris did a fine job. I did not miss many of the tired GK skits with the exception of the Lake Woebegone segment. I'm curious what the general audience thought. I'll tune in regularly.
    Last edited by Steve-o; Oct-15-2016 at 11:46pm.

We listened to the whole show. I thought it was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    I caught some but not all of it. I really enjoyed it. Actually, I preferred it to what PHC had become of late. Good job Chris!
    I didn't catch the show tonight but hopefully I'll hear the rebroadcast tomorrow. Bob, I totally agree with you. I used to listen to the show with my parents way back in the late '80's and always loved it. But recently the show has bored me to tears. I still loved Garrison's News From Lake Wobegon, but the old time style radio skits were getting so boring. It seemed that other than some good music, that was all the show had become. I'm not a huge Thile fan, but I'm certain the show will be better than what it has been. I think he'll breathe some new life into it.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

bass player gone mando

Sarah Jarosz is in the house band? That's a pretty good house band ...
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

13. The following members say thank you to chuck3 for this post:

Malin 

Does anybody know: Was that a Northfield octave Sarah Jarosz was playing? Kinda looked like it.

A FANTASTIC first show with such promise for the future. The new infusion of musical chops brought to the show by CT and the 'house band' change everything about the focus of the show. The sheer virtuosity of players like Sarah J., Critter Eldridge, Brittany Haas allows a looseness and spontaneity that seeps all through. Just for example, Chris's promise that they'll take on an audience request each show - a song not written or recorded by anyone on stage... that's fun.

And Thile's ability to curate the musical guests... it's going to be a wonderful platform for the music and musicians that I love.

PS If you hadn't heard Lake Street Dive before, you're in for a treat. There are some fantastic videos around of that band.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BradKlein For This Useful Post:

Here's a great Lake Street Dive video:

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stevo75 For This Useful Post:

Could be her Fletcher Brock octave.
    Pava S/N 21
    Calace Bowlback

20. The following members say thank you to Peter Coronado for this post:

Great stuff - lotsa great music on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo75 View Post
    Here's a great Lake Street Dive video:
    Oh yeah! That's a good one.
    Shot by Greg Liszt the terrific 5-string player for Crooked Still and the Deadly Gents!

PS Did anyone else notice that Jack White's band - besides playing vintage and highly polished reso guitar, aluminum bass and aluminum violin - apparently travels with half a dozen or more AEA ribbon microphones! That's > $20,000 of mics, plus you gotta buy mic stands and cables... and aluminum polish! So there's ONE answer to the perennial thread, 'What Microphones Should My Band Buy?'
    Last edited by BradKlein; Oct-15-2016 at 11:57pm.
    BradKlein
    Morning Edition Host, WLVR News
    Senior Producer, Twangbox®
    Twangbox® Videos

Quote Originally Posted by ToyonPete View Post
    Could be her Fletcher Brock octave.
    Seems likely. I think that instrument has motivated a lot of archtop GBOM builders and buyers (including me!)

I thought the headstock looked more like one of those new Northfield archtops, but could be wrong. (And now I can't access the video version that I watched. Dang.)

Sarah has had that Fletcher Brock GBOM for quite a while now & it's awesome !. It's one of those instruments that if i had the cash to buy one,i would do in an instant.

A plea from the un-initiated :- What is The Prairie Home Companion about ?. Obviously i can't access it over here in the UK,but i'm curious about the programme's foremat. Is it essentially a music prog.,or a social commentary /news prog. ???.
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Ivan it's hard to describe, Keillor was a humorist as opposed to a comedian with varied muscical tastes. He told "funny" tells about his fictitious hometown as well as other skits and satires on radio commercials. In among all this was a pretty good house band and a guest band of varying styles, not necessarily "big name" bands just good musical ( not commercial) musicians. That was his show and format, it is still to be seen what Thile will do with it. I see it changing greatly but still being a good show.

28. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Sarah has had that Fletcher Brock GBOM for quite a while now & it's awesome !. It's one of those instruments that if i had the cash to buy one,i would do in an instant.

A plea from the un-initiated :- What is The Prairie Home Companion about ?. Obviously i can't access it over here in the UK,but i'm curious about the programme's foremat. Is it essentially a music prog.,or a social commentary /news prog. ???.
    Ivan
    Hi Ivan, I live in Germany and although I sadly had to miss last night's show I watched the previous shows live on the prairiehomecompanion.com Website. They have a live stream. Midnight Berlin time so probably one hour earlier in the UK. And they have already uploaded videos of the highlights ..
    Greetings
    Malin

30. The following members say thank you to Malin for this post:

Blog Entries

Wow...I must be more old school than I thought. Maybe it will grow on me, but it felt like Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. Althought the music was very good, it seemed like a totally different show that swiped the Powder Milk Biscuit sponsorship!
    Asheville Celtic Mandolin Blog and Tablature Resource.
    www.AshevilleMandolin.com
    The Asheville Celtic Mandolin Collection: Standard Notation, Tablature and Chords for the Celtic Mandolin https://a.co/d/2KaJwBq "] - Tablature, Standard Notation & Chords to 50 Celtic/Irish Tunes.
    Hurdy Gurdy Music - https://youtube.com/@TheHurdyGurdyWi...nCX2BHJY7jCVM4
    The Mud Larks - Hurdy Gurdy and Nyckelharpa - https://the-mudlarks.com/

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Kersak View Post
    Wow...I must be more old school than I thought. Maybe it will grow on me, but it felt like Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant. Althought the music was very good, it seemed like a totally different show that swiped the Powder Milk Biscuit sponsorship!
    Funny, but I was thinking the same thing. Music as expected was superb, and a more musical-oriented show will be quite welcome. But it's not the Prairie Home Companion without the goofy and (sometimes tedious) skits. Plus, his Keillor's voice, like it or not, was the show's canvass that everything else was painted on.

I hope it goes on for a long time, but I can see a lot of old fans gradually turning away. I'd rather see it go under a new name and be almost a radio version of The Ed Sullivan show. Quick interview, music, bang; next up... Heck, stick that on TV also.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

I thought the show was great. Nice to think that, just perhaps, PHC, like many long lasting institutions, is larger than its originator.

"Yeah, things ain't what they used to be!" Yep.

Sometimes things must change or need to change or maybe just change. If "old fans turn away" so be it. I've listened to PHC since its inception and I'm wide open to finding a new companion on the prairie. I think that there just may be a new generation of listeners who will feel the same way and my hope (hunch) is that many might even listen back in the archives to earlier shows and discover the pleasures.

I would celebrate 10 years of CT at the helm of the prairie schooner and happily anticipate the next incarnation of PCH.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brunello97 For This Useful Post: