Thread: 1960's Gibson solid body electric mandolin ???

Default 1960's Gibson solid body electric mandolin ???

Hi! I had a few hours to kill today and found myself at our area GC. They had only 1 mandolin in stock...and it was intriguing to say the least.

Here's the link to it:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gib...ne-Mandolin.gc

They don't identify it as such, however this appears to be an EM-200

I examined it as best I could...definitely some condition issues. The pictures don't show it well. The finish on the bottom edge has all but been chipped off. The finish on the face isn't "crazed" as much as it looks like it has lines going across it (side to side)....almost like someone tried to refinish it (or clean it with the wrong product) and used too much and it ran. From the nut down the first 6 or so frets were VERY worn - I'm no expert but they looked to me like they'll need replacing in the near future. It appears to have the original pick guard and tail piece, however most of the gold plating has been worn off. The binding all the way around was quite yellowed, and you could see in a few spots along the neck where the finish had chipped away that it was originally a white / light ivory color. There's a spot on the back of the neck about the size of my thumb where the finish is gone...not due to friction from playing or due to a "speed neck" but it looks like solvent / finish remover had been dripped on it and not wiped away. It does have the original EM-200 bridge (rosewood base with brass top) and from what I can tell the original pickup.

I played it and all of the electronics appeared to be working. The volume knob doesn't "zero out" but that is likely an easy fix...pull the knob off and put it back on in the correct position.

I'd love to add a Gibson to my stable, however I'm thinking that this one is overpriced given its condition. I've checked online and it looks like when they're in excellent condition they're going for around $2600 / $2800.

What do you think? I liked it....but I'd like it a lot more if the price was lower. I did ask and was told that they would not negotiate on the price...but to keep checking and if it didn't sell they may drop it a little.

Thanks in advance for the input / advice!
    Last edited by TC-in-NC; Oct-13-2016 at 3:12pm. Reason: corrected hyperlink

Default Re: 1960's Gibson solid body electric mandolin ???

Well, I could not get the link to open anything but the home page. If the one you are looking at is the same as the one on the site, there looks to be something odd about the tailpiece, it looks "crooked", maybe it's just the cover has not been set properly. I don't know. I'm not so sure it's that wonderful a price, over 2000 seems a bit much for my taste.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

3. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

I'm sorry the link didn't work...it works for me....

I think what you're seeing with the tail piece is that the gold plate has worn away in all but the bottom right hand corner, so it looks like it's seated wrong. In person it was all straight.

I did like it, but I'd like it a lot more for less than their asking price. Had they been asking $1700 / $1800 I probably would've come home with it.

I bought a very nice one from the original owner a couple years ago and sold it later for 2200.00 and had it for sale at that price a while before it moved. Again it was very nice all original with little wear and the original case.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

6. The following members say thank you to Vernon Hughes for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TC-in-NC View Post
    They don't identify it as such, however this appears to be an EM-200
    The model wasn't actually called the "EM-200" during it's entire length of production, their labeling it "Florentine" is close to it's other official name "Electric Florentine." Given it's condition it sounds a bit overpriced. You can check Reverb and Ebay for closed auctions to see other prices points. Here's one on Reverb that sold a year ago for $1800. That one at GC definitely has the characteristics of a later 60s model (as described), since it has the black volume and tone knobs.
    https://reverb.com/item/1371929-vint...ine-double-cut

Also check out this one:
    https://reverb.com/item/1858732-gibs...inal-condition

8. The following members say thank you to jefflester for this post:

I have had one for years—I think it is a 1964—and I like the way it sounds and plays tho I changed out the brass saddle (too much ringing to my ears) for a regular ebony one. Does the GC one have the original case? What do the tuner buttons look like? Some of those shrink and need to be replaced on those gold Klusons.

The price seems to be standard retailer asking price. If you are truly interested you could probably make them an offer and the worst that can happen is they would say no.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Does the GC one have the original case? What do the tuner buttons look like? Some of those shrink and need to be replaced on those gold Klusons.

The price seems to be standard retailer asking price. If you are truly interested you could probably make them an offer and the worst that can happen is they would say no.
    Hi Jim! No...no case. The tuner buttons all looked fine to me. I did see the name "Kluson" on them. I did ask if there was any room on the price and was told no, but that they could maybe waive the sales tax. Granted, the worker bee I was speaking with didn't actually go and check. I'm going to give it a little time and check back in on it....if it's meant to be then great, but if not well then it's not the end of the world.

These Florentines are around so you may find the right one eventually. I agree without the case especially the price is high.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

OK, so the weirdness with the TP is shadow or less than optimum condition of the plating. As long as it's not screwy but, I still think it's what a friend used to call "The Long Dollar". Be patient, the right one will come to you.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

15. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post: