Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very inexpensive ebony bridges for mandolin

Blog Entries

Default Very inexpensive ebony bridges for mandolin

I just kind of stumbled across this deal on mandolin bridges on eBay add this morning and wonder if this could really be ebony?

If these bridges really ARE carved out of ebony a person could buy a complete bridge for less then $5 (USD) and then do any fine carving required in your own shop? Hard to beat a deal like that?

Of course I imagine the threads and thumb nuts are not exactly a product of high quality machining either but they probably still would work OK?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Oct-01-2016 at 7:29am. Reason: spelling
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Default Re: Very inexpensive ebony bridges for mandolin

I have used inexpensive ebony bridges on several inexpensive mandolins. They were replacement for bridges that were on the mandolins,which I figure were inexpensive ones anyway. I saw no real difference after slight correction in compensation and fitting to mandolin. The bridges that failed were a result of my experimenting with mass not because they were cheap.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    I have used inexpensive ebony bridges on several inexpensive mandolins. They were replacement for bridges that were on the mandolins,which I figure were inexpensive ones anyway. I saw no real difference after slight correction in compensation and fitting to mandolin. The bridges that failed were a result of my experimenting with mass not because they were cheap.
    Thanks for the comments. Did you find the wood to be real ebony or some substitute like black wood or dyed rose wood for example?

I ordered a couple of those in the eBay add just to find out.

I'll probably steal the hardware off one of them. Which also begs the question. Anyone happen to know a good source for threaded mandolin bridge shafts and the accompanying thumb nuts?
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Oct-01-2016 at 9:00am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

You can buy the hardware for bridges from Bill James (axinc.net).

6. The following members say thank you to Dale Ludewig for this post:

Worth buying one just to see if it's ebony. These are most likely made by a company that makes parts for various Pac rim mandolins like Eastman. I see these things all the time in the electronics industry. Parts get made in China for a US company. Next thing you know, the same part is being sold on ebay and it comes from China.

8. The following members say thank you to sliebers for this post:

I used them before there was an Internet, a hobby store in my area was run by a man that played mandolin and he kept a variety of mandolin related products. To answer your question, to the best of my knowledge they were ebony, it remained black as I sanded and removed material and it worked like ebony. I haven't worked with many exotic woods but in my limited experience ebony works like no other.

10. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Makes me wonder because when I scrolled down there were other bridges made of rosewood that cost more so I just don`t know, but it is worth the 5 bucks to see...One thing though after you order anything from them they will sell your e mail address and you will get pop up ads for the next five years for all kinds of products, I get about 12 -15 every day...

Willie

Blog Entries

Looks radiused as well to me.
    1983 Flatiron 1N - Pancake/Army-Navy
    2011 Eastman MD-315 - F-style
    Rover RM-50B - A-style

2014 Satin Cherry, Gibson USA 120th Anniversary SGJ14
    Godin Guitars' Art & Lutherie "Spruce" 6-string dreadnought. Hand made in Canada.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theCOOP View Post
    Looks radiused as well to me.
    Good point! You are referring to this pic obviously. Its a crazy price. Well I should have a couple of them late next week and we'll know......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ebony bridge.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	150047  
    Bernie
    ____

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    ...One thing though after you order anything from them they will sell your e mail address and you will get pop up ads for the next five years for all kinds of products, I get about 12 -15 every day... Willie
    Probably!
    Bernie
    ____

Bernie - That looks like one 'chunky' bridge !. You'd better sharpen up that whittlin' knife of yours,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Telling from the picture I see two potential problems: Unless the base gets considerably lowered, the gap under the base is way too wide, which might cause top sinking on the bass side; seen that happen.
    Also, the longer the portion resting on the thumb wheels the more likely is the top to bend and eventually crack. Just my two cents.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Eagle View Post
    Telling from the picture I see two potential problems: Unless the base gets considerably lowered, the gap under the base is way too wide, which might cause top sinking on the bass side; seen that happen.
    Also, the longer the portion resting on the thumb wheels the more likely is the top to bend and eventually crack. Just my two cents.
    Now that you mention it the arch does seem higher than normal.

As to the clearance for the thumb nuts I'm not sure -- it is hard to tell from photos. I have a Cumberland Acoustics bridge on my Sam Bush and it does not look all that different but again hard to tell. I should have a couple of them in hand by the end of this week -- they shipped yesterday -- then I can actually measure things.....

Another perspective on it.

Name:	ebony bridge2.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	150067  
    Bernie
    ____

The photo isn't from the seller.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fscotte View Post
    The photo isn't from the seller.
    True, but I am assuming, with no evidence to the contrary, that is what they are selling nonetheless? The seller has a 99.5% positive feedback on 38,00 sales. Anyway I'll have a couple them soon then we'll know for sure.
    Bernie
    ____

Bernie, of course only some of those bridge tops tend to crack. Short grain, extensive thinning and e-string routout make it more likely - as does a lot of clearance next to the wheels, especially on the treble side. Even some original Gibson or CA bridges may have that problem.

I guess it is worth a shot to try and see what you get, but I would assume that inconsistency could be a possibility, that you may get a few you like and then have problems with others in other shipments. BTW what is the cost for shipping from China to US. I put my zip code and it said that it said " Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code." even tho it was my very valid zip code.

My only experience of Far Eastern bargains was with some tailpieces from one of the Vietnam/Taiwan eBay shops and they were terrible and broke after a few months of use. As they say Your Mileage May Vary...
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Oct-02-2016 at 3:39pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I guess it is worth a shot to try and see what you get, but I would assume that inconsistency could be a possibility, that you may get a few you like and then have problems with others in other shipments. BTW what is the cost for shipping from China to US. I put my zip code and it said that it said " Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code." even tho it was my very valid zip code.

My only experience of Far Eastern bargains was with some tailpieces from one of the Vietnam/Taiwan eBay shops and they were terrible and broke after a few months of use. As they say Your Mileage May Vary...
    The shipping was free on my order as promised in the add. As to quality I think maybe what sliebers suggested in post #5 is probably what is going on here?

Added later: A number of the MC members must have ordered one because the number available is ZERO now and there were something like 30 - 40 available when I purchased mine two days ago!!

Also I note that the offer of free shipping has been removed. Strange.
    Bernie
    ____

My concern would have been various costs and fees added after the purchase.
    [The ad doesn't promise free shipping, as I read it. It says:
    "Will ship to United States. Read item description or contact seller for shipping options"
    Going down to shipping rates, it says (for me, with a valid zip code 37209):
    "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code."]

But it looks like the results of the test have been positive so far.

All of the several replacement bridges I have bought one place or another have needed quite a bit of shaping of the feet to fit an archtop mandolin - usually there is not enough arch/curvature, as well as additional filing and tinkering with the saddle. This is tedious but certainly doable.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

I've not purchased this particular bridge, but have purchased many "repair parts" from various dealers in China through eBay. I always choose the ones who advertise free shipping. Usually takes a couple weeks to arrive and sent in an envelope with little or no padding, but I've never had any problems with anything being broken. I've never had to pay import duty. The quality is always fine for the price paid. Often, there is that moment where I ask myself, "how can they sell this for $5 WITH FREE SHIPPING and make anything?" But, I quickly get over it. Mostly, I use these parts to repair inexpensive guitars that would not warrant the purchase of "name brand" parts.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Oct-03-2016 at 2:11pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acousticphd View Post
    My concern would have been various costs and fees added after the purchase.
    [The ad doesn't promise free shipping, as I read it. It says:
    "Will ship to United States. Read item description or contact seller for shipping options"
    Going down to shipping rates, it says (for me, with a valid zip code 37209):
    "Shipping cost cannot be calculated. Please enter a valid ZIP Code."]

But it looks like the results of the test have been positive so far.

All of the several replacement bridges I have bought one place or another have needed quite a bit of shaping of the feet to fit an archtop mandolin - usually there is not enough arch/curvature, as well as additional filing and tinkering with the saddle. This is tedious but certainly doable.
    It appears that the add has been changed? Maybe they realized that they were losing money? I know my order of two bridges has been shipped (estimated delivery October 20th) and I paid a total of $9.98 via PP. So we'll see what they look like.
    Bernie
    ____

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    It appears that the add has been changed? Maybe they realized that they were losing money? I know my order of two bridges has been shipped (estimated delivery October 20th) and I paid a total of $9.98 via PP. So we'll see what they look like.
    I've done this with various guitar and violin parts; crazy cheap deals and received usable materials (that required plenty of fitting and finish sanding). Just a guess, posting to this forum may have created quite a run on this item. A significant spike in demand probably has them rethinking that offer, LOL. Ebony violin fingerboard and tailpiece was indeed ebony. Neck was figured maple. Ebony nut. I think I paid $9.99 with free shipping for a violin neck + fingerboard + nut. All pretty much rough blanks, fingerboard was radiused nicely but oversized for fitting. Neck pretty rough with a lot of work needed for finesse on the scroll, etc.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

27. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

Blog Entries

I purchased a couple that look similar last year just to "have on hand" for fixing cheaper instruments and they definitely were real ebony and the quality was "OK" - not the very best, but no complaints for what I paid and those came with free shipping too. I have seen the same ones being sold for a lot more... at the same time I got some sets of ebony guitar bridge pins with abalone inlays, and these were incredible quality! Really, really nice. I think I paid $4 per set including shipping!
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

29. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

Blog Entries

Follow up on the bridges. The two bridges I ordered for a total of $9.98 (including shipping) arrived today. They are clearly made of ebony but not at all as nice as the bridge promised. Big surprise. That said they are certainly worth $4.95 each I think. Comparative pic shown. They invited my comments so I will send them some comments but it was worth the gamble I thought.

added comment: At least I guess the wood is ebony but it looks more porous than typical?

They weigh 16 gms each. What is ideal for an ebony mandolin bridge?

The old adage if it looks too good to be true it probably isn't applies!

Name:	Compare bridges.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	150451  
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Oct-19-2016 at 11:48pm.
    Bernie
    ____

I feel for ya, bro! Of course, I'm the guy who complains about the tools at Dollar Tree not really being worth a "whole" dollar, plus tax......