Thread: First simple rebuild/tweak: Stagg M50

Smile First simple rebuild/tweak: Stagg M50

Hey guys, newbie here

I took a liking to the red Stagg M50 (mostly the colour) which happened to have a electric-guitar style pickup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	StaggM50.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	150040

Given the low price of this instrument I pretty much assumed the set up, strings and electrics would be junk So this is what I came up with!

Name:	Stagg1.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	576.7 KB 
ID:	150041

First I ripped out all the electrics and stuck in a hot rail dual humbucker, ceramic magnet type.

Name:	Stagg2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	367.4 KB 
ID:	150042

At the same time I redid all the internal stuff and noted that the original earth strap from the tailpiece wasn't even attached to anything!

I think these chrome knobs look a lot better. The top one here has a pull-push switch to change the humbucker between series and parallel.

Name:	Stagg3.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	150043

Errrr, the only problem with using a guitar pickup is the height is too shallow (the original is at least twice the height.) So I came up with a novel solution

Name:	Stagg5.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	440.4 KB 
ID:	150045Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Stagg4.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	414.2 KB 
ID:	150044

Bonus, before the pick guard was bolted flat over the f-hole.

The less obvious mods are dropping the nut action down slightly, fitting some flatwound D'Addario strings and shifting the bridge slightly to improve intonation.

Talking of bridges, I have this odd thing:

Name:	OddBridge.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	150046

From what I can tell it just utilises 6mm chunks of fret wire. Be curious if anyone's actually tried one.

Default Re: First simple rebuild/tweak: Stagg M50

I don't think the intonation will be right on that odd bridge. But the hot rails pickup should be a good improvement. Nice job.