Thread: Ghost Ranch Bluegrass Camp

Default Ghost Ranch Bluegrass Camp

Has anyone attended this camp...how was it? How many people attend, what are the accommodations and classes like, is it an easy place to get to...? Thanks.

Default Re: Ghost Ranch Bluegrass Camp

Bump...anyone?

Hi @bigskygirl, I have not attended, but a friend of mine from Albuquerque has attended the Ghost Ranch camp and he said it's really awesome- 100% recommends. I am in Santa Fe, but literally have only been playing mando for like 1 week. So Bluegrass camp may have to wait until future.

Alex Rice

Thank you Alex, I received some info from Ghost Ranch itself but was curious to hear past attendees thoughts. Congrats on your mando, there is lots of good info here on the Cafe and when you're ready many great camps to attend.

Mando camp is largely about the level of instruction and the general ambiance. I've done a weekend camp and a weeklong (Swannanoa) and found both to have been great experiences. It looks as if Matt Flinner is teaching. I've learned from him "live" in the classroom as well as online. I find his teaching style works really well for me. Hope you find your answers.

6. The following members say thank you to A-board for this post:

I'll jump in...this camp is unique in many ways, and it's one of my favorites. We tend to focus more on ensemble playing than a typical camp would. We do a few sessions of mandolin class, but more time is spent on playing in your student band and learning about various aspects of performance. The surroundings are amazing (unless you're just not a fan of red rock deserts), and the instructors and the vibe they create (if I may say so) are very welcoming to all ability levels. As the mandolin insturctor, I try to cover fundamentals that will hopefully be useful to everyone regardless of ability level, but I also try to challenge all players by helping them reach the next level in their solos and/or general ensemble playing.
    Accomodations vary from tent camping to private room and bath---prices vary accordingly.
    Anyway, I hope that helps! It's a special camp to me, and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Thanks,
    Matt Flinner

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flynyrdskynyrd For This Useful Post:

So how was it? Had wanted to attend but could not make it happen, did run by there last week during the time frame of the event, but did not find any music? Did find the quilting group....

I have not been (yet!), but I have a friend who attends every year. He feels it is an awesome experience. The setting alone is worth the price of admission!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.