Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monel mandolin strings

Default Monel mandolin strings

I LOVE the new Martin Tony Rice/Retro monel strings on my Ken Hooper 1939 J35, and they also sounded fantastic on my D18 Authentic. So I've been lobbying Martin to make them as mandolin strings as well. Just recently, they replied to a tweet of mine that Retro mandolin strings were in the works. At the same time, D'Addario has introduced a similar monel alloy acoustic guitar string called the NB, for Nickel Bronze. I'm also talking to them about a mandolin set.

In the meantime, I've used the Sam Bush strings with success. The Cafe classifieds has an ad for Pyramid strings from Germany in a nickel/monel wrap, and I've ordered Newtone strings in that formulation. Anyone have experience with those?

Nice to see a boarder range than just the typical 80/20-PB versions.

2. The following members say thank you to mcgroup53 for this post:

gtani7 

Default Re: Monel mandolin strings

I have been talking to GHS for years about making a White Bronze mandolin string, they make them for guitars. It's a great string and sometimes I will buy singles and spend the time changing them to loop end for the mandolin. Not as bright as phosphor bronze in the beginning and not dulling as fast either, a much more stable string. For all you magnetic pickup electric players they are magnetic winding's also. The said they would make them for me, but I would have to buy a minimum which at this point would be more than a lifetime supply, even if I weren't so old.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

4. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I have been talking to GHS for years about making a White Bronze mandolin string, they make them for guitars. It's a great string and sometimes I will buy singles and spend the time changing them to loop end for the mandolin. Not as bright as phosphor bronze in the beginning and not dulling as fast either, a much more stable string. For all you magnetic pickup electric players they are magnetic winding's also. The said they would make them for me, but I would have to buy a minimum which at this point would be more than a lifetime supply, even if I weren't so old.
    I just heard from D'Addario that the NB mandolin strings will debut at Summer NAMM.

6. The following members say thank you to mcgroup53 for this post:

gtani7 

Good news! Thanks David! I also really dig the sound of monels and have used the Sam Bush sets in the past, but don't care much for the gauges of them. I've been using D'addario JS-74s and like them, but I'm looking forward to the NB strings from them. I've also switched over to the Martin Tony Rice Retro strings on my D-16 and really like them. A lot.

1924 Gibson A Jr. Snakehead
    2004 Elkhorn A-5, #3
    2016 White F-5, #6

I also don't favor the gauges on the Sam Bush monels and will be interested in finding out how the NBs are.

TYpically D'Addario will offer a range of gauges, not just one set

I like the Sam Bush strings on a few mandolins I have tried them on ('83 Flatiron A5-2 & '23 Gibson A-2). This weekend I tried the Martin Retros on my '39 L-00 with great results.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Gibson Sold "Mona Steel" strings while Sam And I were both children or earlier ..

the last ones I got were called G-161 ML monel loop wound 11/41

Ive left the Newtone British strings on my Hodson Djangolin for years ..

Only replaced the E's as they Broke

un wound Loop forming in the newtone is pretty old school ..

reminds why Gibson tailpieces have 12 hooks 2 per string on the plain ones.
    as they can slip.

You realize Monel is a specific alloy , where there are other nickel alloys

used in winding around strings also..
    Last edited by mandroid; Feb-24-2016 at 6:05pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just found this Martin video on the history of Monel strings:

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jim, Sounds a lot like the White Bronze I have using for decades from GHS. A nickel alloy string that sounds great, lasts a long time and no one else has had until now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgroup53 View Post
    At the same time, D'Addario has introduced a similar monel alloy acoustic guitar string called the NB, for Nickel Bronze. I'm also talking to them about a mandolin set.
    Hi David,

I know you are very in the loop on this stuff, so I'm curious about this comment. I had a dealer last week try to sell them to me as being monel "like the Martin Retro strings," so I wonder if this is a marketing line coming down from D'Addario?

The NB strings are really nothing like monel. Monel is usually a straight copper-nickel alloy. The new D'Addario NB strings are simply nickel-plated Phosphor-Bronze strings. Here's the quote from D'Addario:

"Nickel Bronze strings are the premium uncoated acoustic strings by D’Addario. Featuring an innovative combination of nickel-plated phosphor bronze wrapped onto a high carbon NY steel core..."

This is not even a nickel alloy! I understand that everything about the labeling and marketing is mirroring the Retro's (old time feel, earth tones, talk about letting the guitar's voice come through, etc.), but these really are a fundamentally different string.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Thanks Jim, Sounds a lot like the White Bronze I have using for decades from GHS. A nickel alloy string that sounds great, lasts a long time and no one else has had until now.
    Yes the Martin Retros are very much like the GHS strings. I usually go to nickel strings in the summer as they last longer and I am not a giant fan of strings with coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by RobBob View Post
    Yes the Martin Retros are very much like the GHS strings. I usually go to nickel strings in the summer as they last longer and I am not a giant fan of strings with coatings.
    Keep in mind that GHS White Bronze are a Nickel-Iron String (iron added to mostly nickel, presumably to enhance the ability to use with a magnetic pickup), whereas Monel is copper and nickel

While the strings may be fundamentally different, tonally they are similar, the NB being just a very little bit more complex to start. On my ladder-braced Waterloo, which has very fundamental tone, I prefer the NB. On my old D18...jury is still out, but both sound good & the feel is similar. I never cared for the light E on the Sam Bush strings. I look forward to trying both the Martin & D'Addario mandolin versions.

Just put a set of GHS prototype strings on today that are a pure nickel wrap. Very nice strings, very clear and warm on the wound strings with a dry sound. I like them a lot.

Yeah, jljohn, I think you're right. Still waiting on Martin to come through with Retro mandolin strings. Maybe at NAMM. I beta tested the NBs for D'Adarrio and liked them, but not as much as the Retros.

My local music store informed me that Curt Mangan will be introducing Monel mandolin strings in the near future.

So far we have rumors of Martin, D'Addario and Curt Mangan. I hope someone starts making them before my sets of Sam Bush strings wear out.

As for Mangan, I don't see that they have Monel guitar strings, let alone mandolin.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Jul-08-2016 at 8:25pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

While they are not monel GHS is thinking of introducing pure nickel mandolin strings that for me sound the best of any string I have yet to use. Soooo add another possibility into the mix.

I just got an email from Josh at Martin:

At this time there are no plans to expand the retro string line to include mandolin strings however, this is always a possibility in the future.

I recommend checking our website periodically as our new products will debut there first.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I talked to Curt Mangan himself about this. He told me that the company that makes the material for the strings just decided to close up, so while rumors abound..........I think the wait is going to be long. What I found exciting is that D'Addario released some great nickel bronze guitar strings (love them). While they are not cheap ($12) I am hoping that Jim decides to make a mandolin set from the same blend soon.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Mary: Are you referring to me or some other Jim. In any case, I will look into those possibilities with the D'Addario strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

No, not you. Jim D'Addario.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Well, I have three more sets of Sam Bush strings. That you last me for awhile, but I hope someone starts making Monel mandolin strings again.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

29. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Well, I have three more sets of Sam Bush strings. That you last me for awhile, but I hope someone starts making Monel mandolin strings again.
    I just bought 6 sets of Sam Bush strings a week or so ago. They were posted in the classifieds here and I signed on only a few minutes after they showed up. I always check the classifieds before I go on to the other stuff. (I'm sure that's the latent MAS kicking in.) It was the first item listed under accessories and I jumped on it. I'm set for a little while now.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.