Thread: K&K Quantum Trinity System

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Default K&K Quantum Trinity System

Has anyone used this system with mandolin? It is a K&K pickup with a K&K microphone with a preamp that blends both signals. It allows separate EQ of both signals and you can send both blended signals out as one output or you can send the Mic and pickup line out separately for more flexibility. Looks like a good premium amplification option. I'm thinking of combining it with the Peavey EQ below that detects feedback frequencies. The mic will likely have feedback issues so a dedicated EQ to easily pull out problem frequencies on the fly would probably be good. Thoughts?

http://kksound.com/products/quantumtrinity.php

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...CbtRoCkHvw_wcB

Blog Entries

Default Re: K&K Quantum Trinity System

I'd personally pass on that Peavey GEQ and instead look at at a DBX GoRack in its place.

Run the GoRack after the Quantum preamp.

The Gorack has absolutely excellent anti-feedback performance. Really, seriously good, and fully adaptive (which the Peavey GEC is not). It is also selling for the plain stupid price of $29.95!!! Do not think this means it is low quality or sounds bad. It doesn't. It gives some $500+ a channel options a run for their money. I was so impressed I ended up with two of them, and I use them regularly.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd personally pass on that Peavey GEQ and instead look at at a DBX GoRack in its place.

Run the GoRack after the Quantum preamp.

The Gorack has absolutely excellent anti-feedback performance. Really, seriously good, and fully adaptive (which the Peavey GEC is not). It is also selling for the plain stupid price of $29.95!!! Do not think this means it is low quality or sounds bad. It doesn't. It gives some $500+ a channel options a run for their money. I was so impressed I ended up with two of them, and I use them regularly.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

That looks amazing. Just bought one.

- - - Updated - - -

How are you using it with you mandolins?

Blog Entries

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?127389

You can also use it as an insert straight after your Quantum.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

In my current set up I'm going into an acoustic amp. Thinking about still using a powered speaker with the quantum on stage. Would you go out of the amp, to the gorack and to the main system from the gorack?

Blog Entries

It will depend on level matching and impedance, in the main. You certainly can insert the Gorack after your acoustic amp (normally going from the balanced DI output > GoRack> Inject into main PA at line level)

You can also 'split' the GoRack into two separate channels, with different levels (Mic/Line) for each.. so if you are using one channel for instrument, you could run a mic through the other. It is very flexible. Mostly a question of getting to know it and finding the best setup.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

OK, but what do folks think of the K&K option - I'm interested to know!
    My guess is my loud band rules it out
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

In a loud band I can't think of any advantages to using a mic, as the quality of the mic won't get noticed.

Another GoRack fan here.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    In a loud band I can't think of any advantages to using a mic, as the quality of the mic won't get noticed.

Another GoRack fan here.
    I agree. If you are really loud then the mic is merely going to cut your headroom before feedback kicks in and as Br1ck says, at those levels people are not going to be able to detect subtle differences anyway. In a quieter setting, you do notice it, but if really cranked up - no.
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288

I don't play that loud, but my K&K sounds very much like my mandolin. The louder you play however the less it sounds like I want it to. In the past I have installed a thin magnetic pickup from the pick guard and floated it on the top and it sounds very acoustic. Will give you a better sound loud, depending on the amp you are using. These days just the K&K or mic.
    Last edited by pops1; Dec-24-2016 at 12:07pm.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Mics sound better than pickups... Although pickups sound sooooo much better than they did twenty-five years ago. So get a transducer put in your mandolin. K&K make good units so do Fishman and L.R. Baggs. Buy a pre amp for when it is needed, these are thankfully not too expensive. Buy a quality mic for when you can use it, something road worthy not studio. Add a good small two channel amp to use as either a monitor leading to the board or stand alone sound reinforcement in a smaller venue, Fishman or Roland come to mind. With the needed cables and stands you have a basic "package" for handling your sound reinforcement needs. Some mics work better in some venues than others etc. So your gear collection breeds. 1,000.00$ +/- will get you in the door. It's only money .... right? R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...