Thread: Newtonestrings strings for cittern

Default Newtonestrings strings for cittern

I just installed a set of Newtone Strings on my cittern. Phosphor bronze. I bought the set from Just Strings. I bought the light set. My cittern has a 24 inch scale. The gauges are .009/.014/.020/.032/.042. The third course strings are wound. I had been using a set of Irish Bouzouki strings for the bottom four courses, .011/.016/.028/.040 and a couple .009's or .008's for the top course. So the third course is a plain unwound string and a .016 at that. My cittern is home made and I have been nervous about heavier gauges. I didn't install a truss rod. The instrument sounds good with the zouk+2 strings, but I find that having that wound third course as well as the slightly heavier Newtone set on the instrument is producing a better tone. There is something about these Newtone strings. There is a different character to the tone. Not sure if the phosphor bronze alloy is different in the UK. Anyone know? Anyway, I like them. Any others try them yet?

Default Re: Newtonestrings strings for cittern

I use the re-branded Eagle-Newtone strings for anything that requires a non-standard set and I like them a lot. They even come in "pick your own gauges" sets which is a big help!

I'm not sure about tonal differences, they still sound very much like PB strings to me (within the usual variation you get between manufacturers). I believe they use a round rather than hex core which is supposed to make a difference to sound, but who knows?

Newtone strings not only come from the UK, they are made in Derbyshire - less than an hour's drive from me. Apart from a pinch of "brexit" in the mix, I'm not aware that their phosphor bronze alloy is any different from any other. You could try asking them - they run a pretty small operation although they claim to have speeded up delivery times for custom orders since Malcolm Newton retired and they moved premises.

I've always used them on my GBOM and found Newtone very helpful. The strings themselves seem to have a smoother slightly polished feel to them compared to others.

The Eagle-music rebranded strings, that Tavy mentions, are packaged by a shop of the same name in Yorkshire (an hours drive in the opposite direction) and they'll put together a single set for you whereas Newtone have a minimum order of 6 sets (at least they used to). What the implications are for shipping them to the US you'll have to work out.

A round vs a hex core? Hmm.. I keep playing it. I think the wound third course is the difference I hear.

FYI, I did not purchase six sets. No minimum was required by Just Strings. I might buy a few next order if only to save on shipping. Good strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    I use the re-branded Eagle-Newtone strings for anything that requires a non-standard set and I like them a lot. They even come in "pick your own gauges" sets which is a big help!

I'm not sure about tonal differences, they still sound very much like PB strings to me (within the usual variation you get between manufacturers). I believe they use a round rather than hex core which is supposed to make a difference to sound, but who knows?
    I used to think newtones were round cores, but on asking them they aren't! Apparently all their folk instrument strings are hex core. I did ask them to make me a set of round core strings for my Weber OM, but to be honest they weren't half as good as the hex cores. Very brittle and metallic tone.

Recently I bought a set of Clifford Essex strings that sound very good as well. Might be worth a try?

I use Newtone (Eagle) PB strings on my tenor banjo and guitar and quite like their sound -- only downside is that they don't seem (to me anyway) to last as long as other brands, but I'll stick to them. Delivery from UK to Canada is fairly quick.
    Too many instruments...too little time

I didn't say you needed to purchase six sets. That only applies if you're asking Newtone themselves to put together a specific custom set; i.e. gauges or ends.

I may buy six sets from JustStrings. Their shipping fee is fairly high, so it makes sense to make a bulk order. The more I play them, the more I am getting hooked on the tone. Using D'Addario Irish zouk sets plus a high pair produces a lot of volume. These are perhaps a bit quieter, but I like the tone.