Thread: Refret in Houston or somewhere thereabouts

Default Refret in Houston or somewhere thereabouts

Howdy all. Are there any recommendations currently for luthiers in the Houston, Texas or greater Houston area for refretting a mandolin and other types of neck adjustments (e.g., replaning the fretboard). I am at the point where it is getting harder to play because the frets are worn down too much and it is probably a good point to have someone look at other neck or fretboard adjustments for action an playability. I will ship off my mandolin if there are no local options but I would prefer to drop it off in person even if it means driving to Austin or Dallas.

--John

Default Re: Refret in Houston or somewhere thereabouts

I don't know if he does re-frets etc., but you could try asking one of the finest mandolin builders out there,Tom Ellis,in Austin Texas. Even if he can't do the work himself,i'm sure that he'll know a good luthier who can :- http://www.ellismandolins.com/contact.html
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Default Re: Refret in Houston or somewhere thereabouts

In Houston, Neil Sargent is the man. He has a small non-descript shop off Washington Ave and has done several tasks for me. Of course most of his work is on guitars but he has built mandolins before and has worked on a couple of old Gibson A models for me. Great if quirky guy.

Or go to Austin to Fiddlers Green. Great luthier there too. Highly recommended.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!