Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: $199.00 solid F style mandolin

Default Re: $199.00 solid F style mandolin

I've played many MK mandolins, and have owned several. Some have been great and some have been quite poor. I think what this speaks to is that MK can make great mandolins at a low price, but they do not consistently do so. Glad to hear that this crop of MK is a good buy. I am not a fan of their tailpiece, however. Nice that it is solid, but design is sub-par. While I think Eastman and Kentucky do a better job of consistently producing good mandolins, taking a $200-$300 chance on a MK mandolin that is getting good reviews seems like a good deal to me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your thoughts. Could you explain your concerns about the tailpiece? I am a newbie and do not understand, yet, these kind of things.

4. The following members say thank you to MrYikes for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MrYikes View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts. Could you explain your concerns about the tailpiece? I am a newbie and do not understand, yet, these kind of things.
    No problem. Many prefer a solid cast tailpiece compared to the older style stamped tailpiece. The MK mandolins have come with a solid cast tailpiece for a while, and I think this is a big improvement over the cheap stamped tailpieces that they used to use. Unfortunately, the design leave a bit to be desired. Same goes for the Eastman cast tailpiece, and Weber tailpiece. Strings run under a large cast plate and fishing a string underneath it (especially if you are only changing one broken string) can be a pain. The MK tailpiece is a bit worse than the Eastman and Weber TP because the strings are actually run between two plates of the tailpiece and just not very easy to work with.

I prefer open cast tailpieces like those made by Allen, or Montelone style, or those used on Collings mandolins, for example.

Here's the MK, Eastman & Weber tailpieces:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	150907Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tailpiece_web.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	113.6 KB 
ID:	150908Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIVER_MANDO_T.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	150909

Here's the MK from the side where you can see the top plate of the TP and the bottom one that the strings go between:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	150914

Here are Allen , Montelone & Collings:

Name:	allentailpiece2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	150910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	monteleone tp.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	150911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420_2005CollingsMF5DeLuxeVarnishMandolin_Tailpiece.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	150912

Tailpiece is certainly not a deal breaker. All are serviceable and can also be changed out if you wish. More of a nit-pick/feature than a deciding factor

For reference, here is a stamped tailpiece:

Name:	stamped tailpiece.jpeg 
Views:	111 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	150913

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I would agree that the MK tailpiece isn't the easiest to use. But, I like three things about it compared to the traditional stamped tailpiece:

1) It can use ball-end strings (useful for those of us who use non-standard tunings).
    2) It appears to support more sustain (that is just a subjective observation after working with three of these MK mandolins).
    3) It seems to suppress overtones by virtue of the angular cut (again, a subjective observation).

I've mentioned it before here, the MK tailpieces appear inside to be two plates that are welded to a center plate. So they aren't really "cast" tailpieces. But they are heavier than the stamped tailpieces.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

I can compare only to a Rogue which has a two piece stamped tailpiece. Changing strings on that was tough because the loop kept popping off while working on the tuner end. I like the MK design because the loop stays put (as long as you put the string in the groove on the post) and I agree that the heft of the tailpiece helps with the sustain.
    To me, the magic of the MK is the quality of tone in spite of the quality of wood used in the box.

After owning over 12 mandolins over the years,have never had any trouble stringing any type of tailpiece.

10. The following members say thank you to mandolinstew for this post:

MrYikes...Try this, Place the end of the string through the hole in the tuner post then place the loop over the tailpiece hook and use a piece of masking tape to hold the loop on the hook...

Willie

12. The following members say thank you to Willie Poole for this post:

Sure, I've straightened the little fingers out on those stamped Rogue tailpieces. Bending it back creates a stress crack, and there you are, hosed. The void/hole where the stamped finger has been stamped from, I drill the hole round and use a pop-rivet to create a barrel to catch the string loop. A new/good tail piece after paying shipping was more than the mandolin was worth. One hook for two strings works in a pinch too.

14. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

I know this thread has calmed down but I know some were wondering how the 199$ Mk sounded so, Heres a tune I recorded using this 199$ MK Mandolin. I think the mandolin is well worth the price.

https://soundcloud.com/user-467361538/big-sciota
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chanmandolin For This Useful Post:

Chanmandolin... WOW!!

18. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chanmandolin View Post
    I know this thread has calmed down but I know some were wondering how the 199$ Mk sounded so, Heres a tune I recorded using this 199$ MK Mandolin. I think the mandolin is well worth the price.

Nice, really nice.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

20. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Sounds great!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

You folks who bought these at $199 certainly lucked out. If you click on the link in the first post you can see that there are no more open box bargains for this model. The current price is $422.64.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I'm feeling really good about this already
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Sounds awesome to me! Great recording! Thanks for sharing.

27. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

Nice clean clear picking. Nice one! I wish I could play as well as that.
    Nic Gellie

29. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

Blog Entries

Excellent!!! Great playing, really like "Big Sciota"! And that is a great sounding mandolin... Thank you for posting!

Question: was the next cut ("Temperance Reel") also done with the MK? I am thinking I hear some of the same woody tone there...

Thanks again for posting!

-- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

31. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Fabulous. I don't see how this piece could sound any better regardless of what mandolin it was played on. To be honest if you had told me this had been recorded by Mr. T or G using their Loars/Dudes I wouldn't have questioned it.

This really is proof of the adage 'tone is in the fingers' (providing you have an instrument you can draw it out of in the first place, but price is irrelevant)

It's probably time to admit that the only reason we spend $$$$$$ on the dream machine is for that warm fuzzy feeling it gives us.
    Northfield NF5S
    2001 Flatiron Festival
    Epiphone MM-50
    Guild D55
    National Style 0
    1987 Gibson 335
    60th Anniversary Strat

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JKA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Excellent!!! Great playing, really like "Big Sciota"! And that is a great sounding mandolin... Thank you for posting!

Question: was the next cut ("Temperance Reel") also done with the MK? I am thinking I hear some of the same woody tone there...

Thanks again for posting!
    Thanks for the kind words. The track " Temperance Reel" was recorded a few months ago using my 04' Parsons A model. I belive the Parsons has a little deeper of a tone than the MK but it's not a huge difference. I will say the price of those 2 mandolins are quite different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    Fabulous. I don't see how this piece could sound any better regardless of what mandolin it was played on. To be honest if you had told me this had been recorded by Mr. T or G using their Loars/Dudes I wouldn't have questioned it.

This really is proof of the adage 'tone is in the fingers' (providing you have an instrument you can draw it out of in the first place, but price is irrelevant)

It's probably time to admit that the only reason we spend $$$$$$ on the dream machine is for that warm fuzzy feeling it gives us.
    Thanks for the kind words JKA.
    Https://www.reverbnation.com/chandlerbeavers/songs

"Never a teacher, always a student"

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chanmandolin For This Useful Post:

dhergertJKAMrYikes 

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

That is a really great tune played really well, I had a quick listen on my headphones & immediately bluetoothed it across to my Bose so the family good share my delight. I think I need to practice a lot more........

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fox For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

So, the current price-point for these MKLFSTB mandolins on MF is $422.64. At that price, in my mind there are three things happening...

1) Other, more well known and respected name brands, especially of A-style mandolins, are now in competition with the MKLFSTB.

2) Other respected vendors, often who include a detailed setup, are now well within range of this model from MF.

3) MF is selling off its "Open Box" MKLFSTB mandolins which presumably are the last of these models that will be available from them.

So now there's a question I cannot answer because of my lack of experience with other mandolins that are normally available in the ~$500 price range:

Once setup properly, how do the MKLFSTB mandolins compare with other F-style mandolins within this range?

Assume that like the MKLFSTB mandolins, we are comparing solid spruce top, solid maple back and side, solid maple neck mandolins, most likely from the Pacific Rim, and that the compared mandolins all will require a detailed setup in order to be seriously playable instruments.

I am guessing that at this price range there are other F-style mandolins that once properly setup will also sound as good as the MKLFSTB mandolins do...

Is that true? At this price point, is the MKLFSTB still a good recommendation?

Thanks for your thoughts...
    -- Don

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    [Our recent arrival]

I hope I can make my sound like that one day, nice work Chanmandolin!

40. The following members say thank you to Ellsdemon for this post:

MF was/is having a "restock" promotion across many products and brands, not just the MK.

In the retail world, restock doesn't necessarily mean a return, b-stock or other defect. In this case I believe they are using that term loosely to describe MF bringing new inventory into stock, or "restock". Terms with these and all other promotions of it's type, give vendors a chance to dump inventory that is slow moving, end-of-line or just as a promotion for their brand or new product.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I believe the biggest contribution Lloyd Loar gave to the mandolin world was that he was someone on the team who cared and had a veto over the quality of the product. The construction methods, materials and etc. can be easily replicated by today's makers but results tend to be mixed because Quality Assurance, something LL did with aplomb, has generally been missing from the equation. It would appear [haven't seen mine yet] MK got it "right" with this one and some of us have been fortunate to have a sample for our own.

Since this MK model is now showing as no longer available from MK, my guess is they were clearing out old inventory. It's a bit of a shame as this thread is a testament to them actually doing it very right, but didn't bother to tell anyone about it until they decided to kill the model. Might have been a very good seller had they put some marketing behind it.

I'm stoked to compare the MK with my Paris Swing. The PS is also an all solid build with a great, woody tone. I didn't pay much more for it than the $199 the MK's were going for, but it was the last factory blem from the fellow who was selling them off on eBay - it originally retailed for over a thousand. There will be differences between the tone - one is an f-hole, the other a D - but I'm expecting the volume and woodiness should be similar going by this thread.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

42. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    ...Since this MK model is now showing as no longer available from MK, my guess is they were clearing out old inventory...
    Verne, You may be right about the strategy to clear out old inventory. I have no idea. It does make more sense than believing this whole bunch-full of mandolins were restocked due to some blemish etc.
    I believe that the same model mandolin is still available however, just at a higher price ($422.64). http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-...tival-mandolin

If this really is a discontinued model that is destined to become a collector's item (as some have jokingly suggested), I'm hosed. Mine's already undergone my crude luthery and had the matte finish completely rubbed out, the tailpiece reshaped and 'distressed', the Florida scoopage redesigned as well as having the neck profile converted to a thinner speed-neck 'V' shape.

Then again, maybe Steve G.'s great-grandkid can restore it to its original glory 90 years from now.

I think/hope you will be happy with yours when it arrives.

44. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

FH - I believe yours will be particularly coveted as a "relic."

I've been nosing around for a beater for traveling, etc. for a while now. It had to be less expensive than what I paid for my PS [which wasn't much] and have at least a solid top. The low-end Washburn and Gretsch can be had between 100 and 150 used, so I've been scoping those. At $199 this MK is more expensive [but still cheaper than my PS so it passed the test] but an all solid f-style build made it a bit of a no-brainer.

Part of the appeal to me, and perhaps relates to the comments on the tone, is it doesn't have a ton of bling inhibiting the wood. I find things like thick varnishes and bound f-holes tend to work against tone in favor of ornament. Plus it adds to the cost. I've played high-end [blingy] Eastman's beside their lower-end [pretty plain] models and was quite surprised how well/better the less adorned model sounded.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -