Thread: Schecter electric bass guitar: opinion wanted

Default Schecter electric bass guitar: opinion wanted

Sorry that this is not mandolin related, but members of this forum are very knowledgeable about various instruments from whom I am sure I can learn from.

I have been playing bass guitar for a few years, starting with a very cheap one, then an acoustic electric bass (too bulky for me to hold). Of course it does not sound very good. A friend loans me a Schecter Diamond Series (Omen 4-string). It sounds really good on my bass amps (a big one and a small portable one). This one has an active circuit as it has a 9V battery compartment.
    What I am really looking for is a Schecter 5-string bass guitar (an used one so I can afford it). I am wondering if some of you have experiences with various Schecter 5 string bass guitars to give me some recommendation.

Default Re: Schecter electric bass guitar: opinion wanted

A friend of mine bought one about 6 years back. I had it for a couple of days, did a dressing and setup.
    The setup was ok from the factory, but there was room for improvement. Electronics were acceptable. I don't recall what the model was or how much it was, but at the time I remember thinking it was pretty nice for what he paid.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I've owned a lot of their electric guitars. I'm not up on current models, but all mine were good. Great bang for the buck. It's harder to get a good cheap 5 string than 4, though, so go to Sam Ash or GC and try a bunch. In the same price range, also check out ESP, Ibanez, and especially Fender/Squier.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Sheesh, I recently sold one. I had a diamond series 5-string T bass. It had been retrofit with active EMG's. It was a solid well made instrument with a very nice neck. I only sold it as I needed the money and I just never clicked with the 5-string. I think Schecter are among the best bang for your buck basses out there.

I just never clicked with the 5-string
    Nevin, could you tell me what does not click with the 5-string. I never had a chance to play one so I don't know.
    I will certainly go to local GC to try it out, just to get a feel before buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    Nevin, could you tell me what does not click with the 5-string. I never had a chance to play one so I don't know.
    I will certainly go to local GC to try it out, just to get a feel before buying one.
    I found the neck width a bit awkward. Getting a good low B takes a lot of power and a big speaker making bedroom level practice frustrating. It was fun at first but I just found I didn't use it when I was seriously making music. BTW, bass is my main instrument.

Dave Sheets

Check out yamaha basses. They are solidly built and reliable, if you upgrade the pickups to Bartolinis, they sound great. You should be able to get a basic yamaha used and the pickup upgrade for under $300 if you can install your own pickups. If you can spend more, check out G&Ls.
    -Dave
    Flatiron A
    Way too many other instruments

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Sheets for this post:

In the used market, I would check out a Peavey Grind 5 string or a Carvin 5 string. Both of these are neck through construction and show up in the under $400 price range.

10. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    I go to my local GCs a few times a week, I've tried a lot of < $800 5 strings, they all seem to have the flabby B string/insufficient tension problem, where the B just makes flapping tongue noises up to about the 5th fret. I tuned a few up to C and they sound pretty good (I only retuned the one string, not all 5). The only inexpensive 5 string that doesn't have this problem seems to be some of the Warwick Rockbasses. For really cheap, some of the Corts and Jay Tursers aren't bad.

That and a lot of them have kind of grainy sounding pickups that miss the initial attack. Ibanez' Bartolini pickups are pretty good. I've gotten a lot of cheap upgrade pickups from guitarfetish.com, they're great for the price

Also string spacing is all over the board, from 3/4" down to 16mm or so, and Warwicks are really heavy and neck heavy to boot. Not tone ring/resonator banjo heavy, but enough to strain your spine.

I would also look at Carvins, Spector, Lakland skyline and the various brands that Michael Tobias put out. I like some MIM Fenders, tho their QC has been all over the board.
    Last edited by gtani7; Oct-04-2016 at 10:25am.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

2.5 years have gone by. I did buy this Schecter 5-string bass and I am very happy with it. Been playing it since I bought it.
    Yes, the B string tension is low. The good thing it does give a few extra low bass notes when I need them. I became a bit confused when going back to 4 string bass.
    It is heavy but I could play it in the standing position for hour straight.
    I did test out some 6 string bass at local GC and love them.

I have a 6 string and a 5 string bass, I typically keep the lowest string tuned to A on them though. I think it makes incorporating it into songs a lot easier when you can just mimic whatever you would ordinarily play on regular A string. And if you're going to have an extra string might as well get the maximum amount of notes out of it, and As get played quite a lot.

My experience is that on most 34-inch scale basses the low B will be flappy -- not enough tension. A 35-inch scale will help with that.