Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Chip Recommendations please

Default Re: Blue Chip Recommendations please

I use a TAD60 1-R RH bevel blank-both-sides after trying CT-55 and others. Great thing about Blue Chip--if it isn't right for you, you may exchange with Matthew for another size or shape at no cost (if not custom engraved). I also use Jazz 90 and TAD50 3-R on my arch and flattop guitars.

Registered User Michael Neverisky's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's been mentioned before, but the angles (plural) at which the pick crosses the strings on the up and down stroke makes a significant difference in the performance of the pick. Particularly, I think, with a pick so heavily beveled as the CT-55. Until I figured this out, I was not a fan of the tone I was pulling from my Collings with the CT-55. Now that I've learned how to use the pick, the tone is much better and I find that the CT-55 is one of the best picks for drawing more sound (louder) from the tiny instrument.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bowsman View Post
    Get an armrest. My 315's tone and volume improved considerably, and it's more comfortable to play now. The Leo's Wood rosewood model looks great against the Eastman finish, also.
    Good recommendation, Chris... but I make Armrests and sell them, so I'm all set there
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post
    I use a TAD60 1-R RH bevel blank-both-sides after trying CT-55 and others. Great thing about Blue Chip--if it isn't right for you, you may exchange with Matthew for another size or shape at no cost (if not custom engraved). I also use Jazz 90 and TAD50 3-R on my arch and flattop guitars.
    Can I ask what you mean by "bevel blank both sides"? Does that mean w/o the speed bevel? Are there different bevels ? I can't tell from their web page. I just ordered the Tad601-R. I've enjoyed the CT55 but finally wore down the point.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I've enjoyed the CT55 but finally wore down the point.
    "too many notes"

6. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Astro 

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I use the TAD60 or CT55 most of the time and honestly can't tell much difference between them for my purposes.
    (The TAD80 I use once in a while when I'm feeling frisky.)
    I mentioned the TAD80 initially because OP said he liked the 2mm Big Stubby at some point.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Love my CT55's. Daily use for almost three years and still going strong.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

I use the TAD-3R 80....check out videos of Desperado to see how it sounds...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Is the TAD-3R 60 the closest in shape to the Pro Plec 346 rounded triangle 1.5mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ky Slim View Post
    Is the TAD-3R 60 the closest in shape to the Pro Plec 346 rounded triangle 1.5mm?
    The D'Andrea sits right between the TAD60 and the 3R.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

12. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Can I ask what you mean by "bevel blank both sides"?... Are there different bevels?
    Sorry, RH bevel on both sides all three corners, no engraving (blank) on both sides. With my OCD I found that with a stock pick I preferred the engraving under my thumb so I had to fuss with it after I picked it up. Now there is no "sidedness."

The CT55 bevel is supposedly different than the stock angle.

Anyone know if CT still plays a BC CT55?

14. The following members say thank you to MandoAblyss for this post:

Astro 

Quote Originally Posted by MandoAblyss View Post
    Anyone know if CT still plays a BC CT55?
    Lots of recent videos and pics show him with his Wegen TF140. The white picks are extremely visible. However, I've seen a few of him and Bela Fleck where the pick looks dark. He's been alternating the Loars, looks like the same with the picks.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    Ok, you guys have convinced me that I ought to get the TAD60 instead of 80,... I opted for the 1R to just to try a rounded corner from time to time. That saves a little too, so what else should I ask for?... Tone-Gard coming for my birthday next month, I have a tuner and a stand.... Hmmmmmmm????
    I was going to suggest a "-1R" just for that extra versatility. I bought a TAD-1R 50 for my guitar, and when I decided to learn how to play mandolin, it transitioned perfectly for me. I find myself playing more often with the rounded corner on mandolin.

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

So Christmas came early... I got my TAD 60-1R today and just spent entirely too long playing with it... I meant to spend 15 minute noodling before I went to bed,... that was about an hour and a half ago. Any who, I'm super pleased with it. I love the ease with which you can tremolo with it. Its not quite as bright as my big stubby, but I still really like it... ok off to bed now.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

18. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by soliver View Post
    So Christmas came early... I got my TAD 60-1R today and just spent entirely too long playing with it... I meant to spend 15 minute noodling before I went to bed,... that was about an hour and a half ago. Any who, I'm super pleased with it. I love the ease with which you can tremolo with it. Its not quite as bright as my big stubby, but I still really like it... ok off to bed now.
    Excellent. I was going to suggest my ultimate tone test: playing different picks (I have a few BC, red Bears, a Gravity Gold, wegen, primetone, a few bone and horn picks etc) on a Strat (or other single coil) into Garage band/Logic Pro amp models into reference headphones. You can really hear differences in attack/sustain, pick noise/pings, brightness etc
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Have a CT 55* but wish it was not beveled just for 1 angle , but for Both.. as I often play with My Arm resting on the tailpiece cover.

* 2nd hand, off the classifieds, here.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I wish I had your wife. I have to buy my own picks.

I think the TAD models would be to your liking, depending on thickness.