Thread: Thinking about getting a traveling/backup mandolin...

Blog Entries

Default Thinking about getting a traveling/backup mandolin...

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting an inexpensive but hopefully nice sounding F-style mandolin that I'm not worried about travelling with and that I could use as a backup in a pinch -- something replaceable for around $750US.

I've had good experience working with Gold Tone with some specialty banjos, and have been looking at their GM-70+, thinking of getting it from JDMC so they can do their setup magic on it.

https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/goldt...cts/gm-70-plus

This item doesn't come with a case at this price, however I've got a spare F-style mando case.

Does anyone here have any experience with this model?

Alternatively, is there something else in the F-style market that is an outstanding value in this price range?

-- Don

Default Re: Thinking about getting a traveling/backup mandolin...

Look in the Café classifieds for a used Kentucky, Eastman or The Loar.

Yep...find someplace that sells Eastman, Kentucky, and the Loar instruments and pick the one that sounds and feels the best to you.

If that's not possible, I'd look at Eastman 315 (or 515 Blems from The Mandolin Store). I recently picked up a 315 on clearance for < 500 dollars to use as my "beater" mandolin. I remain impressed at the build quality, tone, and playability. The tuners and tailpiece are a bit chintzy, and the bridge could be upgraded, but I haven't actually sprung for those expenditures of late, as the stock hardware does actually work OK. The box itself and neck are very well done, and the tone is much better than expected from a sub 500 mandolin; volume is excellent.

No objection to GT instruments, and I actually own a GT banjo (bought from JDMC about 11 years ago), but mandolins tend to be an afterthought for them. If you go that route, JDM will get you as good an instrument as they can. Also, the Rover RM-75 is a thought, and last I checked JDMC had them as well...
    Chuck

There's an nice looking Eastman 315 with a McClung armrest sitting in the classifieds for $450. It would be an excellent choice. (NFI, just FYI)

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/101867#101867
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Blog Entries

Wow, the Eastman 315 looks very nice. Having an early F9, the 315 reminds me a lot of that in appearance.

Does anyone have one of these that they've compared tone-wise and volume-wise with an F9 or a F5G?

Thanks for the recommendations so far!

-- Don

This Eastman MD-515 for $725
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/102372#102372

Blog Entries

Yup, looking. Good price, nice condition. But I need to speak with my financial advisor before I can make a commitment. She may advise me that I have to wait a few weeks to accumulate funds and see what is available then.

And I still want to hear at least a little about tone. I do like what I'm seeing from Eastman a lot... But I'm used to that Gibson muted resonance with my F9 and I'd really like to hear at least some of that with whatever I get -- is that expecting too much?

-- Don

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    But I'm used to that Gibson muted resonance with my F9 and I'd really like to hear at least some of that with whatever I get -- is that expecting too much?
    Yes.

I think it's probably unrealistic in most cases to expect a mandolin that sells new for $699 to remind you of one that now sells for $4799. However, if you are looking for the familiar feel and flavor of a Gibson, you are less likely to find it in an Eastman, modern in tone and playability, than a Kentucky.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

9. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

You could due a lot worse than a Eastman 315 and pay a lot more. The 315 is pretty solid mandolin and great back up

11. The following members say thank you to nickster60 for this post:

If it has to be an F, I think these Eastman 315 suggestions are spot on.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

13. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

I got my Eastman MD315 from Music Go Round for $300. At a recent bluegrass jam, it was plenty loud to be heard over 3 guitars, a banjo, fiddle, and bass. If I compare it to my dad's Gibby Doyle Lawson, it does not sound as rich and complex, but I don't go home hating it, either. Even if I'd paid the full new price for it, I'd consider it an excellent value.

FWIW, adding an armrest improved the volume and tone significantly. I intend to add a Tonegard in the near future, as well.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

15. The following members say thank you to MediumMando5722 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Yup, looking. Good price, nice condition. But I need to speak with my financial advisor before I can make a commitment. She may advise me that I have to wait a few weeks to accumulate funds and see what is available then.

And I still want to hear at least a little about tone. I do like what I'm seeing from Eastman a lot... But I'm used to that Gibson muted resonance with my F9 and I'd really like to hear at least some of that with whatever I get -- is that expecting too much?

-- Don
    I'd say the Eastman is more in the "modern" Collings camp than Gibson from a tone perspective. Mine is loud and bright, has a nice midrange and treble, and I like the tone (and it's really maturing the more I play it), but I wouldn't call it the "Gibson tone." It could use some more bass response, but, then, I'm comparing it to my Silverangel, which is built to have that bass. I like my 315, and wouldn't hesitate to play it on stage (at church), but agree that you're probably more likely to approach that Gibson camp tone in a Kentucky or Bovier (based on my limited sample size with them) than an Eastman...in general.

Understand that I'm not saying that Eastman tone is as good as Collings (I played a couple of MTs and an MF-5 along side an Eastman 615 and my 315 a couple of weeks ago, and the Eastmans were good but not on that level...esp not on the level of the MF-5). I'm also not saying that a sub-thousand dollar Kentucky will definitely rival a 4000 dollar Gibson (some do, yes, but speaking in generalities here).

Good luck, man. I enjoy having a good sounding and playing mando I can take camping or tailgating in 95 degree heat and not have to worry about, and in those situations, nobody listening is going to be able to notice the difference in tone from a Gibson, anyway (excepting fellow mandolineers, of course ...
    Chuck

17. The following members say thank you to CES for this post: