Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: collings vs northfield resale value.

Default collings vs northfield resale value.

hi all
    I may be coming into some money as vw may be buying back my car(which i don't use) i currently play a rigel a+f..
    I was looking at and playing several mandolins at a local shop. It came down to a northfield "big Mon" or a collings mf deluxe. Both are great playing/sounding mandolins
    the collings being a bit more spendy. I think I would be happy with either.
    My question is about resale value and how much money may be lost over time.
    I have a martin guitar that i could resell for what i paid for it..I have a nice taylor
    that i can't seem to sell for 1/2 of what i paid for it...??
    So I know if i bought a gibson f5 i probably would not have to ask this question.
    But used f5's are pretty non existent in my area and i know (as in my martin) it is brand not necessarily quality i am buying with gibson. And I just can't seem to bring
    myself to buy a mandolin i haven't played...So which mandolin do you think has a better resale value the northfield or the collings??

Thanks for reading my first post.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: collings vs northfield resale value.

Offhand I would say Collings...it appears that used MF mandos still fetch in the $3k range while used Northfields are more in the $2.5k-$2.8k range based on my recollection of what I've seen in the Classifieds...YMMV
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Buy a used one (of whatever brand) then you are not likely to lose much, if anything, as long as you take care of it.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    Buy a used one (of whatever brand) then you are not likely to lose much, if anything, as long as you take care of it.
    Exactly. I've been watching Northfield prices, and it appears that an F5S in near-new condition can be found at between $2200 to $2500 (having depreciated $400 to $600 from new). That's a LOT of mandolin for the money - and it is unlikely to drop much, if at all, over the next few years. If I lived in the USA, I would have one by now.

6. The following members say thank you to Ron McMillan for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    Exactly. I've been watching Northfield prices, and it appears that an F5S in near-new condition can be found at between $2200 to $2500 (having depreciated $400 to $600 from new). That's a LOT of mandolin for the money - and it is unlikely to drop much, if at all, over the next few years. If I lived in the USA, I would have one by now.
    I understand your point, but are you not therefore saying that the Collings is more likely to hold its value than the Northfield if Northfields can be found at such a depreciated price? Are Collings being offered at similar depreciated prices - or indeed do as many turn up for sale?
    David A. Gordon

8. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Buy the one you like the best then maybe you won't be selling it. I never think of resell when I buy anything. Most things I wear plumb out so they have no resell value, mandolins I rarely sell just keep buying more.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    I understand your point, but are you not therefore saying that the Collings is more likely to hold its value than the Northfield if Northfields can be found at such a depreciated price? Are Collings being offered at similar depreciated prices - or indeed do as many turn up for sale?
    I haven't watched Collings prices because I'm not very interested in Collings mandolins (fine instruments though they are). The initial fall in second hand value of used Northfields is not at all extreme - it's similar to all new instruments.

But after that drop in value, they seem to hold their prices very well. Like Mandoplumb I don't really understand obsessing over future values. You seem worried about which mandolin might hold a couple of hundred dollars more value over the course of several years, indeed so worried that it will affect your choice of brand. That, I don't understand, but my reading of the market for used Northfields makes me think they are great value.

Varm,

I understand your perspective. I think one reason you aren't getting a more direct answer is that both Northfield and Collings will hold the value similarly in proportion to their initial price. Both are highly regarded brands. The suggestion to by used is a good one for eliminating depreciation.

In the end though, I would recommend you spend a little more time playing both, and then get the one you find yourself having the most trouble putting down.

It's always hard to predict what a used instrument will sell for 5 or more years from now.

Some things are pretty constant. For instance, if you buy a used upper end Les Paul or Stat, you can pretty much bet you'll get a large chunk of your money back if you decide to sell it in a few years. They are extremely popular instruments, therefore there's always a good market for them and they hold their value.

Mandolins are a different breed. Even marquee brands sometimes have a hard time selling simply because there's such a limited number of players. I've sometimes seen high end used mandolins in the classifieds sit there for months. It's not that they were overpriced, it's more of the demand side of the equation.

Both Collings and Northfield are respected brands, but only to mandolin community. A guitar player looking for a mandolin would likely pass them by simply because the're not familiar names.

As of right now, I think Collings may hold the slight edge, partially due to name recognition because they also make guitars, but Northfield is making huge headways. Who knows what will happen 5 years from now.

But I also strongly feel you should buy the one you like, and not base it on resale value. If you like the instrument, you will play it and enjoy it. Even if you end up selling it and losing money someday, you won't feel bad because you will have enjoyed having it.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

14. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

First, I'll say I have owned all of the above mandolins...

The Northfield used is a great bargain. The market is soft right now and an F5S that's only a year old can be found for only $2200-$2400. My mint F5s was a Dec '15 build and it sold for only $2200.

The Northfields sound absolutely outstanding if you like their tone. They are top notch tonally. Right up with the top dogs.
    AS FOR RESALE though.... Their finish is a little soft and delicate. I had to ship mine back for touch up work and I baby my instruments. A lot of people say the same thing... The gang at Northfield was OUTSTANDING in getting it back, touching up the finish chips, etc. All I had to pay was shipping... but I knew if I kept it for long even babying it that it might not look new forever.. This will hurt resale.

The Collings market is steady and strong, and the finish is indestructible, bombproof. If you like the Collings tone, I'd get the Collings. If you like the Northfield tone and don't ever plan on selling, get a Northfield. I miss mine, but I don't regret selling it to get my Gibson.

So, all that being said... Call up The Mandolin Store and ask about deals on Gibson F5's as well if you like that sort of thing... I got a crazy good deal on my Gibson. They'll be honest and are great to work with.

the Collings will cut the best in a jam. The Gibson will do great in the cut dept also. The northfield has a great open tone and sweet buttery wet top end but doesn't cut as well. They're all great and gorgeous and you can't go wrong, but I would get the Collings if you think about resale.

the Northfield and Collings are VERY different tonally. I preferred playing my northfield at home the best compared to my gibson and collings, but it didn't cut well with other loud instruments.

Good luck!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

16. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

Unless you are buying for speculation purposes, the difference in resale value between these instruments does not amount to much. So I would not worry one way or another. After an initial drop (around $500), they will both tend to hold their value pretty well. If you are really worried about the small difference, you can nullify that (to a large extent) by buying something used, not new.

For what it's worth, I bought a Northfield (new) a few years back, and sold it last year at a profit, because the prices for new instruments had gone up substantially. But that was certainly not my plan, or in my mind, when I bought it! Perhaps the same could be said of Collings, though? (I can't say).

Really, you should buy the mandolin you like the best, not the one whose value you think will hold the best.

18. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

I think American made instruments hold their value better than import instruments.

Buy USED and get that depreciation out of the way. Personally I'd go with the Collings MF5. There's a 'bargain' in the Classifieds right now:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/102189#102189

MFI.

21. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I think American made instruments hold their value better than import instruments.
    OK.

1. Gilchrist (import to the US)
    2. Heiden (import to the US)

Sure about that?
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    Buy the one you like the best then maybe you won't be selling it. I never think of resell when I buy anything. Most things I wear plumb out so they have no resell value, mandolins I rarely sell just keep buying more.
    This opinion has saved me money. If I'm thinking resale before buying, I don't buy. If I think I can't possibly live without it, I buy.

Used is the way to go anyway. You pay a lot to get that new and shiny you will ding up anyway. To me an instrument needs about ten dents and a few scratches just to alleviate the worry. Why have a mandolin you can't take out?

I put an ugly four inch gash in my 65 Epiphone Texan. It would have been heartbreaking if I had bought the Gibson J45 vintage which was the runner up. Instead, I took it to my luthier and asked if he could match the other five equally horrible gashes in the top. A little olive oil and dirt and I was good to go.

It is going to be more about economics than makers in a case like this.

What is the US economy going to do and how will this come into play with a domestically produced product?
    Will China's economy continue to climb and how much will a new Northfield cost in 5-10 years?

Both are great instruments and will always be desirable, so it will most likely come down to the street price of new instruments at the time you attempt to sell.

Oh, and the popularity of mandolins as a whole!
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    If I'm thinking resale before buying, I don't buy. If I think I can't possibly live without it, I buy.
    Sometimes you have to go thru a keeper or two to know for sure what makes a keeper a keeper.
    Last edited by Mark Wilson; Sep-12-2016 at 12:08pm.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Wilson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    This statement smacks of prejudice, and besides, it's complete nonsense, because it's not based on the available data. Nearly all high-end, quality instruments tend to hold their value! Period. This goes for violins (Italian, German, French violins are among the best) and mandolins (Australian mandolins by Duff and Gilchrist do exceptionally well, and Giacomels from Italy do well, too), and just about any other kind of instrument. And the higher-end Northfields have been GAINING in resale price ever since the company began selling these. With all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I disagree with sblock when it comes to Pac-Rim instruments. Yes, Giacomel, Gilchrist and Duff's tend to hold their value but there must be 10,000 Kentucky/Loar/Eastman's sold for every Gilchrist. The Pac-Rim instruments do not hold their value as well. Take a Kentucy KM 1000 or 900 for example. It is common to see these go for half to 2/3s of what they cost new. I am not not knocking these instruments and even believe that some of them can be very good-sounding instruments. I personally am familiar with some very expensive Gilchrists and Heiden's that are not as strong as the best Kentucky mandolins I have played. Perhaps the pricing of used Pac Rim mandolins is a function of market size and also some form of Asian discrimination...

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samlyman For This Useful Post:

Take a Kentucy KM 1000 or 900 for example. It is common to see these go for half to 2/3s of what they cost new.
    We have to factor in what was paid for these originally. New prices of good Chinese made instruments have climbed at a much higher rate than domestic instruments, so it is entirely possible that someone selling A KM-900 or KM-1000 is getting back 100% of their purchase price. Some of these mandolins have doubled in price in the last decade.
    Robert Fear

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Thanks for giving us the long-term perspective on this Robert!

It sounds like the OP had already narrowed down to two specific mandolins that are available in his area, and is not looking to buy used (or new) from outside his area. In that scenario, the only deciding factor really should be which one he likes more. If he doesn't like the Collings as much as the Northfield, for example, why would he choose to buy it even if it holds more resale value down the road?

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clement Barrera-Ng For This Useful Post:

I still have a few of these burned into memory. The best example was receiving the new 2012 Kentucky price list and some models went up 50% overnight!

This always hurts, because no-one will initially pay the new price, so it pretty much wipes out sales for a while until people get used to seeing it. So every year (or sometimes twice a year), I get the anxiety of waiting to see the price increases.
    Robert Fear

" - Pete Seeger

36. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by samlyman View Post
    I disagree with sblock when it comes to Pac-Rim instruments. Yes, Giacomel, Gilchrist and Duff's tend to hold their value but there must be 10,000 Kentucky/Loar/Eastman's sold for every Gilchrist. The Pac-Rim instruments do not hold their value as well. Take a Kentucy KM 1000 or 900 for example. It is common to see these go for half to 2/3s of what they cost new. I am not not knocking these instruments and even believe that some of them can be very good-sounding instruments. I personally am familiar with some very expensive Gilchrists and Heiden's that are not as strong as the best Kentucky mandolins I have played. Perhaps the pricing of used Pac Rim mandolins is a function of market size and also some form of Asian discrimination...
    I think you may have missed the point about what I wrote. I tried to be clear that my comment applied to high-end mandolins. The Pac-Rim mandolin brands you mentioned, like Kentucky, Eastman, and The Loar are not high-end. They are lower- and middle-range instruments when it comes to prices. And among the lower-priced options, and as you wrote, there must be 10,000 sold for every truly high-end instrument.

Just as you wrote, the market for these is larger and they do not hold their value as much. This is to be expected in nearly any economic model, and I very much doubt that it relates to Asian discrimination of any kind. So I think we are in complete agreement about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Barrera-Ng View Post
    It sounds like the OP had already narrowed down to two specific mandolins that are available in his area, and is not looking to buy used (or new) from outside his area. In that scenario, the only deciding factor really should be which one he likes more. If he doesn't like the Collings as much as the Northfield, for example, why would he choose to buy it even if it holds more resale value down the road?
    Thank you.
    This is basically where i am at.in my op i stated i had played a bunch and settled on two..my search is far from over and i would really like an f5 if i could find one to play.gibsons tend to be inconsistant
    So sight unplayed is out of the question.
    The collings mf delux And the nf big mon were the nicest sounding/playing inst they had.the mf delux is a step down from the mf5. But i liked it bettef.
    Thus spurring my original post question. Thanks for all the great points.
    All great fodder to help me think.