Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: collings vs northfield resale value.

Default Re: collings vs northfield resale value.

Quote Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
    Thank you.
    This is basically where i am at.in my op i stated i had played a bunch and settled on two..my search is far from over and i would really like an f5 if i could find one to play.gibsons tend to be inconsistant
    In the past this was true. But almost everyone who has tried the current crop of Gibsons seem to think they are of excellent quality.

If you really are interested, you might try giving The Mandolin Store a call. Worse case scenario is that you buy one and end up eating the return shipping, they do have a trial period. And it's much longer than just playing it an hour or so in the store. This way you get to try it out in your home without worrying about anyone else watching or listening.

I was in the same boat as you a few years back, and ended up buying online. Never thought I'd do so either, but if you don't, you severely limit your choices.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

2. The following members say thank you to Austin Bob for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    To sell my instruments would require circumstances so dire as to make the profit or loss irrelevant, and certainly circumstances that dire are not planned for in a mandolin purchase.

IMO, YMMV etc.
    I think this point is well-stated. And, unfortunately, I have been in that situation before. When you are selling a favorite instrument to pay a bill, it is hard to think in terms of "did I come out OK, profit-wise?"

4. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    And, unfortunately, I have been in that situation before. When you are selling a favorite instrument to pay a bill, it is hard to think in terms of "did I come out OK, profit-wise?"
    I have been through some very scratchy times, though thankfully not dire times.
    Indulge responsibly!

The entire staff
    funny....

This is a great thread for anyone, especially anyone new, who's thinking of buying a high-end mandolin.

FWIW, the same conversation takes place over on the saxophone forum. Resale value can be a tricky thing, and as pointed out, is often unpredictable, being based on shifting demand (change of brand's status; sudden popularity or loss of popularity for the instrument; sudden shortage of raw materials; etc), as well as the general movement of an inflationary economy and, for imports, changing currency values. About six years ago I bought a new Yanagisawa high end tenor saxophone sight unseen, and it was pricey then. It played (plays) like a dream and it's my most prized possession. Unbelievably, a new one now costs about $1,000 more than I paid for mine--which I attribute in part to currency issues that occurred before the dollar rose. However, perfectly fine vintage American horns could and can be had for a fraction of that Yani's cost, and with the advent of the internet and forums like these (another factor effecting resale), their resale value also continues to go up.

So future value of instruments is highly unpredictable. I think, therefore, if you are overly concerned about resale value, you should buy used. If determined to buy new, I think resale value is an imponderable.

7. The following members say thank you to AlpineDave for this post:

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I wouldn't worry about resale, buy the one you like the best , if you can afford it.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

I'm finding it a bit frustrating all these respondents chiming in with their advice to "not worry about resale". Do you all feel that others should not worry about "Loar prices by decade"? Or "what's my XX worth?" Or "Tell me about your XX"?

I can see that the original solicitation for opinions violates your own personal approach to purchasing mandolins, but if you feel the inquiry is within forum guidelines, why not keep your comments that don't directly respond to the prompt, to yourself? Or at least "Thank" the first respondent who expressed that sentiment?

Quote Originally Posted by paul dirac View Post
    I'm finding it a bit frustrating all these respondents chiming in with their advice to "not worry about resale". Do you all feel that others should not worry about "Loar prices by decade"? Or "what's my XX worth?" Or "Tell me about your XX"?

I can see that the original solicitation for opinions violates your own personal approach to purchasing mandolins, but if you feel the inquiry is within forum guidelines, why not keep your comments that don't directly respond to the prompt, to yourself? Or at least "Thank" the first respondent who expressed that sentiment?
    Sometimes, not necessarily in this thread, the question itself may indicate a wrong-headed approach. Doesn't that at least bear pointing out?

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineDave View Post
    Sometimes, not necessarily in this thread, the question itself may indicate a wrong-headed approach. Doesn't that at least bear pointing out?
    Ok
    For the sake of trolling let me rephrase my question.
    I have about 5k i want to spend.
    I played A new collings mf delux
    And a used f5l fern.the sound volume
    Playabity and overAll bling factor of each to my eyez ears and pocket are
    Equal.which one should i buy.??(/bait)

Ok
    Collings Vs Used Gibson. Which tone do you like? That's the one you should get.

Also, which one is the most comfortable? The neck on the collings and the radiused fretboard probably make a big difference? Which one do you like? Which one has a tone you prefer?
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    Collings Vs Used Gibson. Which tone do you like? That's the one you should get.

Also, which one is the most comfortable? The neck on the collings and the radiused fretboard probably make a big difference? Which one do you like? Which one has a tone you prefer?

Ok
    The Northfield...
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Assuming you like the Collings and the Gibson equally, and each one is priced reasonably based on its new/ used value, then I would go for used Gibson, since it's already used and you can expect pretty much the same resale value (give and take) going forward.

Now I'm confused. The title of this thread is about "Collings vs. Northfield," and yet the OP now writes (hard to tell with all the mis-spelling and strange capitalization, though) that he's comparing a new Collings MF Deluxe with a used Gibson F5L Fern for possible purchase! So which is it? And what happened to the Northfield?!

Anyway, I'm with the school of thought that says that any difference in possible resale value between two used mandolins is not likely to be significant enough to worry about, and also subject to large variation. Therefore, buy the mandolin you like playing the most. But don't confuse new and used. A new mandolin will likely depreciate to ~1/3rd of its new value simply for becoming used. A used instrument will tend to hold more of its value, and might even go up a bit.

17. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlpineDave View Post
    Last I'll say on this here, as any further highjack would simply be indulgent: alot of presumption and a bit of sanctimony in this statement. Again, if it's within forum guidelines, let conversations that don't pertain to you, continue without you. Or at most limit yourself to using "Thanks" as a +1 to show approval.

Sight unseen, with consideration for resale, I'd personally buy the Collings. If, however, in playing both side by side I preferred the Northfield, I'd not hesitate to buy it instead. I pretty much have a personal ban on Gibson (Loar era instruments excluded, but well outside of my means) given their treatment of both customers with warranty claims (OK, perhaps custom shop folk instruments excluded from their larger corporate approach, though not always) and sometimes irrational (IMO) requirements from their dealers, as there's no reason to beat that horse (and it's not going got dissuade the "nothing beats a Gibson" crowd, anyway).

I've been suffering from MAS of late, but refuse to buy something that's not significantly better than my Silverangel Econo model, and within my budget. I simply haven't found that mandolin yet. When I do, it'll be on again
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by sblock View Post
    Now I'm confused. The title of this thread is about "Collings vs. Northfield," and yet the OP now writes (hard to tell with all the mis-spelling and strange capitalization, though) that he's comparing a new Collings MF Deluxe with a used Gibson F5L Fern for possible purchase! So which is it? And what happened to the Northfield?!

Anyway, I'm with the school of thought that says that any difference in possible resale value between two used mandolins is not likely to be significant enough to worry about, and also subject to large variation. Therefore, buy the mandolin you like playing the most. But don't confuse new and used. A new mandolin will likely depreciate to ~1/3rd of its new value simply for becoming used. A used instrument will tend to hold more of its value, and might even go up a bit.
    Sometimes I use my cell phone to respond...thus the odd formatting and misspelled words..my apologies.
    Let me try to clarify again for those thoughts of mine that may seem cloudy.
    My decision to buy a higher end mandolin comes with much thought. I am not one to spend my hard earned or in this case windfall money emotionally. Being there were so many responses saying I should not buy an instrument on resale value,
    I thought if I reworded my question hypothetically injecting a used Gibson fern perhaps folks would understand my reasoning.
    Guess not.
    If one is faced with a decision ..one must try to weigh in all factors..I understand "buying the one that sounds the best to me"
    and I get "buy the one that feels right to me"..But if narrowing the choice down to 2 instruments that "to me" sound equally
    good and "feel" equally good ...I feel the question of resale value valid in my mind and would like to consider it in my quest.
    I put the hypothetical Gibson in there to try and see if the resale value response would rear it's head (clement thanks)..sorry if it confused some. (bigskygirl Great response...i see you caught my intent...ha) Eddie i am still considering yours.. patience while i make my decision...

So if folks need more clarification just ask.....thanks

Given a new northfield big mon $4499.00 and a new collings mf deluxe $5400.00 which do you suppose has a better resale value?

And after all this i may just buy a used fern ...given i can get one for around the same price...

I cannot imagine buying something that isn't quite what you want just because you might get an extra few bucks on resale. The market is fickle right now, so who knows what resale will be like in 6 months, a year, or even five years.

I will say this, not everyone or every dealer will take a Northfield in trade, but I have yet to meet one that would not take a Collings.
    There's nothing better than first-hand experience.

22. The following members say thank you to Mandobar for this post:

I really think you should call The Mandolin Store as well. Some of us have mentioned that they can work with you and you might be surprised what you could afford.

Hmmnnnn... HOWEVER, Since you seem to be concerned with the resale option, and with the most logical decision, I might add to the talk. (Even though we all agree used is obviously the best option, since you automatically lose about 20%-30% with new usually. Buying a new mandolin you'll probably take a 25% hit unless you buy smart. I bought my Northfield a week before the 500$ price jump to offset the depreciation. But now we're getting into speculation...)

You should get a new Kentucky Km1050. Invest the rest of your $5k in the Fidelity 500 index fund. Then you are hedging your bet to the best of your ability. If it's all about function over form, and logic, the most logical decision is to buy a USED Northfield F5S, OR a Kentucky KM1050. That's the most "logical."

Wait. I mispoke... If we're really talking LOGICAL, we shouldn't be talking F's at ALL. You should get the KM950. Definitely need to get an A style, as F styles are pretty much the picture of illogical. I love my A just as much as my F.

So, that's it. Get a KM950. Definitely the most logical. Or maybe check out a Morris A. I've heard good things about them too.

Or THIS. All tone, no frills. A really good mandolin. Perfectly logical.

( )
    Last edited by 9lbShellhamer; Sep-14-2016 at 7:44am.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18

24. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

I believe I played both the instruments that the OP played side by side a few weeks back. The Collings actually has a stronger voice, despite the Big Mon body being a bit larger. That is, if these are the same two instruments that I played.
    There's nothing better than first-hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by paul dirac View Post
    Last I'll say on this here, as any further highjack would simply be indulgent: alot of presumption and a bit of sanctimony in this statement. Again, if it's within forum guidelines, let conversations that don't pertain to you, continue without you. Or at most limit yourself to using "Thanks" as a +1 to show approval.
    "Sometimes . . . not necessarily in this thread . . . may indicate."

Any more qualifiers would have approached satire. The post was meant to ask a courteous question while making, I think, a valid point. No presumption or sanctimony that I'm aware of, and I apologize to the OP if such was perceived. In any case, with respect, why try to control third-hand the direction and flow of a forum thread, whose meanderings may be of some value to other members (I've asked myself the same type of question in general form as the OP is asking) as well as to the OP?

27. The following members say thank you to AlpineDave for this post:

I think the OP said he/she likes the sound and feel of each equally, therefore trying to help him/her make up his/her mind. All things being equal looking for something that might make one rise above the other.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Buy what you like and want and enjoy it.

I think this thread points out a fundamental difference in personality that I've noticed over the years. On one hand you have the person who buys an instrument hoping to keep it for a lifetime, and on the other the person who wants to enjoy the variety of many instruments over a number of years. For the second type, resale is important, as that dictates when the next instrument can be purchased.

The middle ground here is the individual upgrading incrementally with that goal in mind. If you plan on trading instruments for whichever reason, buying used is the best advice, providing you can live with buying what is available in terms of color, etc.

I can certainly understand falling for a new instrument because of a particular piece of wood though.

Ok
    Mmm...the one you like best?
    Northfield NF5S
    2001 Flatiron Festival
    Epiphone MM-50
    Guild D55
    National Style 0
    1987 Gibson 335
    60th Anniversary Strat

I think the fundamental problem isn't so much with wording or misunderstanding, but rather people simply don't know the answer to your question. There are so many variables at work; it makes prediction of future value (and by extension depreciation) difficult, if not impossible.

Some of the factors involved include projecting the perceived value of each brand an indeterminate number of years into the future, the future mandolin market including taste and perceptions, and the fact that Northfield is a different sort of company; something that we haven't seen in the mandolin market maybe ever, but at least since the early 1980's Kentucky Dawg mandolins.

Let me explain. Asian built mandolins are perceived as entry level, beginner or at best intermediate instrument by the majority of the mandolincafe community, Loars, Eastman, Kentucky, may not be exactly interchangeable, but they are certainly fungible.

Northfield mandolins are viewed (rightly or wrongly) as higher quality instruments, somewhat separate, and dare I say higher quality mandolins relative to other Asian made mandolins. This is a new phenomenon. Of course there are high end imports (Duff, Gilchrist, etc) but there haven't been high end Asian built mandolins that are viewed by the majority of the mandolin community as "on par" with American built mandolins since the early 1980's, so there is no model for how the Northfields will retain value. There just isn't any data. I suppose Sumi mandolins built under his own name would be an exception to my blanket statement, but that is one builder. The vast majority of Asian built mandolins are in the sub $2k range.

If Northfield continues to be perceived as "on par" with American made mandolins, you could expect that they will hold value equal to American mandolins. But we just can't know right now. They are too new to have a tract record, and there are too many variables; any projections are essentially guesses.
    Mandolins: Dudenbostel A1 #74 (2014)
    Guitar: Bourgeois Custom Vintage Aged Tone Dreadnought

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dwc For This Useful Post: