Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Thile Quotes?

Default Favorite Thile Quotes?

I'm sitting here during the intermission of a Chris Thile/Bela Fleck show, and this wonderful bit of wittiness just transpired:

-----

Thile: *drops water bottle cap.*

Fleck: "Just put that anywhere."

*audience laughs*

Thile: "That's a tone cap. It changed the acoustic quality to what I required for this [next] song."

*audience laughs even harded*

Thile: "Somebody please put that on Mandolin Cafe."

*Metric Lips ensues*

-----

Between that, and other bits of Thile hilarity, I thought some fellow Cafe members might have some other great Thile, or other player, quotes to share.
    2005 Gibson F-5G Deluxe
    2012 JBovier FM5 (Mandola)
    2005(?) Kentucky KM-300e (Electric)

2001 Taylor 310-K

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sam Bush Fan! For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Favorite Thile Quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bush Fan! View Post
    I'm sitting here during the intermission of a Chris Thile/Bela Fleck show, and this wonderful bit of wittiness just transpired:

-----

Thile: *drops water bottle cap.*

Fleck: "Just put that anywhere."

*audience laughs*

Thile: "That's a tone cap. It changed the acoustic quality to what I required for this [next] song."

*audience laughs even harded*

Thile: "Somebody please put that on Mandolin Cafe."

*Metric Lips ensues*

-----

Between that, and other bits of Thile hilarity, I thought some fellow Cafe members might have some other great Thile, or other player, quotes to share.
    Players? What type of player? I have one. "Nobody goes there any longer. It's way too crowded." Yogi Berra, Baseball player.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

"That ain't no part of nothin'!" ................oops, nevermind

If you think this is witty just because Chris Thile said it, you are very easily impressed.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

'Right, right'

Simmons, Michael John 'Chris Thile Interview',https://www.fretboardjournal.com/mag...eneration-gab/ Fretboard Journal (December, 2008.)

'Right, right, right'

Ibid

'Wow'

Ibid

'Right'

Ibid

'There you go'

Ibid

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Cool we're not even four posts into a Chris Thile thread and we're already feeling the love.

How long before someone suggests he get a haircut, button up his shirt, straighten his tie, and fly right (right right)?

I'll bite - I think he should get a haircut,button up his shirt,straighten up his tie & fly right. Then we can listen to a 'spruced up' genius which,despite his current brand of music not being to my own personal taste,he almost certainly is as far as mandolin playing goes.
    If you think that Chris Thile is 'less than neat' in appearance,then you certainly weren't around in the Folk Boom days of the mid 1960's when ''the great un-washed'' abounded. Compared with some of the guys i saw back then,Chris Thile would make the front cover of 'Men's Fashion' mag.,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ivan Kelsall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post
    If you think this is witty just because Chris Thile said it, you are very easily impressed.

Dave H
    No. It was actually pretty funny and witty on the spot, and being there... the whole audience enjoyed it. The bottle cap landed with a pleasing thud, and he knows that the mando world watches his moves and thinks that everything has a reason, when in reality it was just a dropped bottle cap.

(If you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself chap. Cheers. )

Perfect transcription! What a great show and the banter between Bela and Chris was pretty dry and funny.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 9lbShellhamer For This Useful Post:

The infamous "Leave Britney Alone" youtube video comes to mind.............

The biggest crime Chris Thile has committed in a few eyes here is being young. He will get over it soon enough. I remember when Sam and Bela committed that crime and how much outrage they provoked.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    The biggest crime Chris Thile has committed in a few eyes here is being young. He will get over it soon enough. I remember when Sam and Bela committed that crime and how much outrage they provoked.
    True enough, but you'll have to admit "Metric Lips" era New Grass Revival bore no resemblance to Bluegrass other than having a banjo and mandolin in the band, whereas pre-Bela NGR sounded pretty much like good ol' BG with the addition of an electric bass, which a lot of bands were starting to do at the time

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post
    It was actually pretty funny and witty on the spot, and being there... the whole audience enjoyed it.
    Agreed.

I liked this one out of Bela when Chris was tuning: "Are those strings from 1924 too?"

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ky Slim For This Useful Post:

Bela picks up mic in between songs,

"We should probably say something right now."

Bela quietly sets down mic in silence ans commences to play.

Hahahahahaha
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

At a show with Bela and Abigail last year he told a story about getting stopped by a state trooper in Tennessee for speeding. Abigail eagerly agreed when he said sometimes he drives a little too fast. The trooper took his license and went back to his vehicle for a few minutes to check things out, came back and said "I just have one question for you and the answer is very important." "Who is the best banjo player in the world?" Bela responds respectfully "Earl Scruggs, Sir." The trooper hands him his license and says "Have a nice day and watch your speed."

At Earl's home a couple of days later Earl said "I heard you had a run in with the law." The trooper was Earl's nephew, a captain in the Tennessee State Police.

19. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Chris Thile ain't so 'young' any more,he's 35. I don't remember any criticism of his incredible playing on his first 2 CD's,recorded when he was young. Folk were simply bowled over by his obvious talent.

'Newgrass Revival' never set out to play 'Bluegrass' as we know it,they played their own brand of acoustic music ''associated to'' Bluegrass & i loved it. Here's one of their best (IMHO) a version of Tim O'Brien's ''Hold To a dream''. I struggled through this learning the banjo part years back, & i put my own mandolin 'bit' in it when i pick along to it - stretching my ability (sort of !),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hanson View Post

Dave H
    I agree. Some US humour gets lost in the ocean crossing!!!
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Quote Originally Posted by 9lbShellhamer View Post

(If you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself chap. Cheers. )
    Not everyone thinks the same things are funny. A fanatical person can find something if not everything their role model says quite witty but in actual fact it can just be an obsession with the artist. I too don't find all things Thile says as humorous but then again some of it is.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

True, humor varies amongst countries, and sometimes what's funny live and in the moment doesn't translate well onto a computer screen, as you lose the mood, facial expressions, tone of voice, etc. I'd have laughed had I been there.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by ;G7MOF
    Not everyone thinks the same things are funny. A fanatical person can find something if not everything their role model says quite witty but in actual fact it can just be an obsession with the artist. I too don't find all things Thile says as humorous but then again some of it is.
    True. We all find different things funny, but Dave's original comment was intended to just be rude. The point stands, we should all be nice and polite, and what's the point in hating on something you don't like? Why not move onto a thread you enjoy and talk about what you like instead of spreading negativity?
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

25. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

It's ironic that the only real negativity you see on this forum centers around a guy who seems eternally positive.
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MediumMando5722 For This Useful Post:

Did he really say "somebody please put that on mandolin cafe"?

I've often wondered if he's aware of our little world here... Guess he is.

He probably ignores our ramblings about blue chips...and what f style is best for $200.... Etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if he surfs the classifieds like any good mandolin nut... Or, with two Loars maybe not.
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

He really did! So I think he knows that we're (MC) studying his every move and completely dissecting and freaking out about his every nuance, like if using the Wegen or the BC.

Clearly he dropped that "tone cap" on the stage floor to change the acoustic properties of the room. It wasn't just a fumble with a bottle cap.
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    Did he really say "somebody please put that on mandolin cafe"?

I've often wondered if he's aware of our little world here... Guess he is.
    I'd say he'd be lost if not for our sartorial pointers and cosmetological observations.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    I'll bite - I think he should get a haircut,button up his shirt,straighten up his tie & fly right. Then we can listen to a 'spruced up' genius which,despite his current brand of music not being to my own personal taste,he almost certainly is as far as mandolin playing goes.
    If you think that Chris Thile is 'less than neat' in appearance,then you certainly weren't around in the Folk Boom days of the mid 1960's when ''the great un-washed'' abounded. Compared with some of the guys i saw back then,Chris Thile would make the front cover of 'Men's Fashion' mag.,
    Ivan
    Thanks for that - i have'nt heard the expression 'spruced-up' in an age, it brought a smile to my face.

Given the context i keep thinking it should be a luthiery term.
    '

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

'That music … especially from the first two Nickel Creek records — it just sounds unbearably smug to me.'

Mathews, Cameron "Punch Brothers’ Chris Thile Embraces ‘Relative Incompetence’, http://theboot.com/chris-thile-inter...ung-now-album/ " February 2007.