Thread: First Chords

Default First Chords

Good afternoon. Full disclosure, I am a complete beginner and am learning some simple tunes by tab. I have tried to search and am having trouble finding a conclusive answer. I know chords are important but what I don't know are which ones to learn first. If you could list the 6 or 10 most versatile and widely used chords it would be most appreciated. I have a chord app on my phone, as well as a chord book, so finding them shouldn't be an issue. I just need to know where to focus my time.

Thanks for any and all help.

Rex

Default Re: First Chords

Go to the chord link on this site. Click the "Two-finger chords" link. There you will find a lot of what you want to learn.
    "I thought I knew a lot about music. Then you start digging and the deeper you go, the more there is."~John Mellencamp

"Theory only seems like rocket science when you don't know it. Once you understand it, it's more like plumbing!"~John McGann

"IT'S T-R-E-M-O-L-O, dangit!!"~Me

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Broyles For This Useful Post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by REH1966 View Post
    I am a complete beginner and am learning some simple tunes by tab. I have tried to search and am having trouble finding a conclusive answer.
    One reason you're not finding a conclusive answer is because there really isn't one. The answer for "which chords should I learn first" has too many dependencies, for example, what songs do you wish to learn?

For ease, you can begin learning the two finger chords and maybe some doublestops as well, but this is not a definitive answer, and there is no reason you couldn't learn three-finger chords or four-finger chords if you have the knack.

I have a simple suggestion: You are learning some simple tunes by TAB. Does the TAB have chords named above the staff? If so, then you might serve yourself best by learning the chords that go with the tunes you are playing.

A second suggestion would be to invest in someone's mandolin method books or videos . . . and learn the chords they give you. Just as an example, Homespun Tapes has a good series for beginners by Mike Marshall titled Mike Marshall's Mandolin Fundamentals For All Players, Vol. I & II, if memory serves me, he teaches some chords as well as a whole host of other fundamentals (NFI) ~ and there are dozens of other teachers who have produced books, CD's, videos with a method for learning mandolin, so if you really need someone else to specify which chords you should learn, invest in a teacher who will tell you in his method which to learn.

Sorry there's not a simple, one-size-fits-all answer. I really think that if you learn chords to go with tunes you are playing, and do that with every tune you learn from here on out, you'll be fine.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

In general, I agree with Mark, let the music guide you in your learning process and not the number of fingers involved.
    But as a kind of compromise, maybe you can limit yourself to learning chords with at least one open string first, before moving on to movable closed position chord shapes.
    Here are some mandolin open chords: http://simplymandolin.com/open-mandolin-chords/
    You might look up the chords of some of your favourite songs, and see which songs you can play with these as a first step.
    If your favourite songs ask for other chords, move on...

Which chords to learn first? Each chord can be played in multiple inversions all over the neck. To start, I would use first position 2 or 3 finger chords. Which actual chords should follow the circle of fifths for easy key development. You should learn the I, IV, V and vi chord in the most commonly used keys - C, G, D, A. I'll explain below:

Start in the key of C. The I is C. The IV is the major chord four tones up (counting the tonic or C). So the IV chord is F. The V chord is G. The vi is the relative minor of the tonic, six tones up - Am. Wow, four chords for each key? Not really four new chords because...

We move up the circle of fifths from C to G. The I is G which we already learned. The IV is C which we also already learned. We need to add the V, D and the vi Em.

Moving along the circle we come to D next. You can see we only need to add two new chords, V A and vi Bm.

For key of A we just add the V E and vi F#m. Ten chords to cover four keys. Its not everything but more than enough to jam with friends.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mandobart For This Useful Post:

Thanks to all for the assistance. I will seek out the suggestions above and work on those and see how it goes. I have printed out the two finger chords and will look for additional books and resources. I do know that some of the tab music has chords but others do not. I will work on that as well.

Rex

Bare in mind this last thing: The music is in the "timely transition from one chord to the next."
    Yes, know these chords. But practice changing the chords to the beat. It will click eventually.

I've a student locally at this stage. I made these samples for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITtr3R64RiI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT9MRyZl4xo

All the Best,

FJ

10. The following members say thank you to farmerjones for this post:

To get started on chord structure. These simple chords are the beginner chords that most people start with.

C: 0 2 3 0
    G: 0 0 2 3
    D: 2 0 0 2

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cosmic Graffiti For This Useful Post:

Unlike a guitar I would strum only the strings I note (as a beginner). That being said I would need to learn one chord, three finger would seem the best easy form. G would be 0523, A would be up 2frets C would be over one string etc. You would therefore be learning position not forms. That would get one started, then you could learn seventh, minors, dim, sixth etc as needed.

OK, I have the 2 finger chords C and G with no problem. The D is a little more difficult for me as I keep muting the D string. Almost like I need a third hand to help place my index finger. I understand it will improve with time and practice. Will also work on three finger chords as well. Thanks for all the help.

OK, I have the 2 finger chords C and G with no problem. The D is a little more difficult for me as I keep muting the D string. Almost like I need a third hand to help place my index finger. I understand it will improve with time and practice. Will also work on three finger chords as well. Thanks for all the help.
    That's why I said the 3 finger and play only noted strings, you would just move C up two frets and the only string you would "mute" would be E. I've played 50+ years and that D in previous post would be hard for me, only because I never use it.

Good afternoon. Full disclosure, I am a complete beginner and am learning some simple tunes by tab. I have tried to search and am having trouble finding a conclusive answer. I know chords are important but what I don't know are which ones to learn first. If you could list the 6 or 10 most versatile and widely used chords it would be most appreciated. I have a chord app on my phone, as well as a chord book, so finding them shouldn't be an issue. I just need to know where to focus my time.

Rex
    Can I stick my 2 cents worth in here? I've been playing the mando for over a year. I started down the "tab path" and found I made a big mistake. You can learn to pluck 'notes' by using tabs. But, when you try to jam with others you are completely lost. Tabs are alright as a raw beginner. But ditch them asap. I find that I have to start all over again.
    I'm into Irish music on the mandolin and bluegrass on the banjo. All the sessions and jams I go to are by ear. When I tried to join I could only sit and wonder.
    Go with chords. There are a bunch of free chord charts here and on Mando Hangout.
    I'll probably have everyone yelling at me for this advice but it is my sad experience.

Learn the D and G chop chords and practice switching back and forth between them. That's enough to be dangerous
    Soliver arm rested and Tone-Garded Northfield Model M with D’Addario NB 11.5-41, picked with a Wegen Bluegrass 1.4

Rex

I would sure advise you to learn the chords of each tune you are working on or have learned. The tabs should have chords included; if not I would really recommend working from basic mandolin tabs that include the chords. Why? Because as beginning player, a key step is learning how to hear and connect chords and chord changes to the melody passages.

Probaby the tunes you are learning are in accessible mandolin keys, like G, D, A, or C.
    A chord book or chord chart of these common keys, that includes the relative minor chords, is really important, I think. Put your chord diagrams out next to you tab as you play and learn, and learn how to form the chords as you progress.

Learning the most "basic" two- and three-finger chord versions makes sense at the beginning, but progressing to knowing 2-3 fingering variations for each chord would be the next step on the way.
    Jeff Rohrbough
    "Listen louder, play softer"

Years ago, when I was into photography, before digital (which I don't like) I read an article about which equipment you needed. They listed the very basic items then said your needs will determine what and when to buy other. I think that is good advice on many things. In this case learn the very basic chords and the ability to move freely from one to another. Then learn others as the need arises.

Years ago, when I was into photography, before digital (which I don't like) I read an article about which equipment you needed. They listed the very basic items then said your needs will determine what and when to buy other. I think that is good advice on many things. In this case learn the very basic chords and the ability to move freely from one to another. Then learn others as the need arises.

I have always found charts of mandolin chords puzzling.

What works for me is knowing intervals - being able to grab a minor third, a third, a fourth, a fifth, a sixth, a dominant 7th, a major seventh, an octave, wherever I need it on the fretboard.

I would suggest to any beginner, just play single root notes, in tempo, through the tune. Then go back and add one note, above or below, that harmonizes in a way you like. Once you can two-note your way through the tune, go back and add a third note.

The preceding posts all have great info. Whatever works for you is the way to do it. A thousand roads lead to the same destination. Have patience with yourself!

T-E-F that's pretty much how I do it now, and I agree that is the best way. But I've been playing 50+ years, I can't imagine being able to figure that out when I was new to music. If someone could I suspect they would advance much quicker than I have.Also I apologize for the double post in my last post, don't know how that happened.

Rex
    I would say defiantly learn the G, C, D, and A chords. Once you get those down follow up with the E, Em, Am, chords and just build from there. Hope this helped
    Happy Picking!

Re assigning Fingers to allow the basic G,C & D Chords, to include . aBarre makes them Movable ..

Pinky Finger training will be needed ..

E 4224; F 5335 .. based on D 2002.

A 2245, based on the 0023 G

Another E 4677 based on the 0233 C chord
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

25. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Thanks for all the suggestions and input. Being new to all this the helps and suggestions are very welcome. So nice to get different perspectives and ideas on where to focus my time.

Blog Entries

G D E A C and F if you can. These should get you through the first songs in G D and C major.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016