Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

Default Re: Any tips for restringing or replacing strings

FWIW - At a festival this weekend played and enjoyed the sound of a 1937 Kalamazoo A with old dirty strings.
    Attractively priced/very affordable/Mike Compton played and liked it too/ etc.
    So..
    bought a set of new strings and asked the vendor to restring it.
    Sound was.. no sale.
    MJB

Typical Mandolin Cafe! The OP wrote to say that she broke a single E string. So, here we go, advising her to remove and replace every single one of her old strings, study up on several competing methods for restringing a mandolin, possibly purchase a capo, tape-mark and reposition her bridge, lubricate the nut and bridge slots, and more. We are SOOOO helpful, yup. Gotta love the collective expertise of this place.

But of course, we're all correct...

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sblock For This Useful Post:

I do it the way shown in the video on post #10 but with one difference.
    I get the string looped under its self, so it locks on to the post but without having the
    loop in the tail piece. The string is kept taut with the right hand, and wrapped
    around the post a few times. At that point, the length is about right and
    the loop is slipped into the tail piece.
    One needs to get used to adjustments for the string length and number of wraps
    required to do this. For example, tuning to pitch adds a couple wraps to the peg,
    and there needs to be room for them. This is quick & avoids a lot of peg cranking
    [which should be avoided IMO]. The wraps are always perfect too.
    Does my explanation make sense?

5. The following members say thank you to Joel Glassman for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I too use Brad's method shown in the vid. I do like the idea of using a capo though.

I change my string in a sort of rotation. I read a post about changing strings a little while back where someone said that only the wound strings (the G course and the D course) "go bad" so what I do is this: I change the G and D courses every 2 months and the A and E courses every 4 months. So essentially a better sound ever 2 months with a fully NEW set every 4 months. It's been working pretty well for me.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

7. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Sblock - Pasha's post implied that she hadn't renewed her strings in 3 years - From Pasha Alden - "For the first time in three years I have to replace a string. The E of all." Hence the advice to renew them all & give her instrument a clean up while she's at it. I'll be doing exactly as i described on my own Lebeda mandolin today. It'll sound good & look good as well (i hope !),
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

9. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlanN View Post
    I'm going to try this, Paul. Never was a wrapper, never too late to be one. One q: why leave 0.5 inch of string?
    I'm not really sure why I do this . I suppose that if the string were to slip I'd have a visual reference, but winding the strings this way I've never had any slippage.
    Do most people cut the strings flush? That would certainly look neater. I think I'd be tempted to coil up the extra string, which was popular with folk guitar players in the '60s to show that you were a REAL folk musician . After a couple of days to allow for any potential slippage, I'd cut the excess off.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    Sblock - Pasha's post implied that she hadn't renewed her strings in 3 years - From Pasha Alden - "For the first time in three years I have to replace a string. The E of all." Hence the advice to renew them all & give her instrument a clean up while she's at it. I'll be doing exactly as i described on my own Lebeda mandolin today. It'll sound good & look good as well (i hope !),
    Ivan
    But Ivan, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I wrote that! After all, I was one of the first people to insist that she needed to change out her strings more often! We're all being helpful, here, but the humor and irony has not escaped me.

12. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Blog Entries

Many thanks to you Ray(T).

Will remember that.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Hi all

Thanks to all for the assistance.
    I am going to have help as I have been nervous to do this, especially with a floating bridge. I have an experienced string instrument player assisting me.

My reticence to change out of strings sooner: My problem is availability of strings, although for a while I think I am OK for mandolin.

Thanks again to you all!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Ray(T) I do not know the string types as these were left to me by a previous owner of mandolin. However, I bought black diamond strings, which I've heard mixed reviews about. Some good some bad. So I also remember my late husband reading that I had some D'Dario74 strings.
    So you have already guided me, so I know if possible all strings and then the same lightness, etc. Thanks so much.

I just thought that different string types, lightness, heavy, etc may cause problems.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

Thanks Jim and to a previous post on gauges. I will remember all. Yes, Jim, I have a friend who has restrung guitars. So I think I will be in good hands.

I have a full set of D'Dario 74s and black diamond strings. So will choose one Sunday morning and let my friend go to work, while I listen and learn.
    If you cannot see well it is best to have a seeing hand near by, hence my fear of doing this. A kind of leave well enough alone. However, having said all this I am sure all will sound so much better.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Pasha, you're not the only one who doesn't change their string regularly. I heard a story about George Harrison and his famous Gretsch. After a number of years of playing he was having difficulty with keeping it in tune. He took it to get looked at and was asked "when was the last time you changed the strings?" George reputidly replied "Change the strings?....."

Keith
    Northfield NF5S
    2001 Flatiron Festival
    Epiphone MM-50
    Guild D55
    National Style 0
    1987 Gibson 335
    60th Anniversary Strat

18. The following members say thank you to JKA for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JKA View Post
    Pasha, you're not the only one who doesn't change their string regularly. I heard a story about George Harrison and his famous Gretsch. After a number of years of playing he was having difficulty with keeping it in tune. He took it to get looked at and was asked "when was the last time you changed the strings?" George reputidly replied "Change the strings?....."

Keith
    I'm glad pasha and me aren't the only ones, then.

20. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

I'm a big believer in changing strings frequently.

When I was in my 20's, I took flatpicking and bluegrass guitar classes at McCabe's in Santa Monica from Phil Boroff. When I started taking private lessons from Phil, he insisted I change my acoustic strings weekly.

I know many of us on the forum are prone to MAS, but the least expensive way to get a new mandolin is to change your strings. Regularly. Maybe monthly. It's a great way to fall in love with your mandolin again (and the more often you change your strings the easier the process gets).

Just saying, YMMV

Hi sblock - Sorry !. The irony in your remark went over my head,but it did cause me to smile because what you said was true. Replacing one string & the next thing you know,we're re-building the mandolin !.

About re-stringing,something i did indeed do yesterday, after giving my Lebeda a clean up. My Lebeda has string pins on it's cast tailpiece.I put the string loop over a pin & hold it there with a small lump of Blue-tack. I hold the string length to the tuning peg & cut it to length. For an A or E string ,usually about 2" past the tuner post. I then push the string end through the tuner post so that about 3/8" sticks through,& then pull it back on it'self to 'kink' it around the tuner post. Then,i hold the string while i wind it onto the tuner. After a couple of turns,i hold the string in the nut slot to ensure that's where it's going to end up. On the unwound strings,i like quite a few turns to give me the friction between the strings & the tuners. With the wound strings,about 1 1/4" length past the tuning post will do it. I've strung my banjo & every other instrument that i've owned this way for 53 years,& i've never broken a string or had one slip. ''Push it through the hole & wind on'' - what could be more simple ?.

As for the frequency in changing strings - aren't we all amazed that when we change the strings on our instruments that they do sound so much better. I think that over the weeks / months after putting on new strings,that the change is so gradual that we don't realise just how much the tone has dropped off. I've done that so many times on my banjo,when i think it's still sounding good. I put new strings on & then realise just how bad it sounded !. Maybe with just one instrument that you play all the while,you can gauge 'how many hours of playing' you can get from a set of strings,but having more than one,it gets a bit trickier,unless you notice a definite drop off in tone,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

"I don't need to change my strings, dirt don't hurt the way I sing"
    Sturgill Simpson

Finally, someone who changes strings less often than me!

Stick to your guns, Pasha! You know when you need to change strings!

Kirk
    Portland, OR

24. The following members say thank you to tiltman for this post:

From Kirk - "Finally, someone who changes strings less often than me !.". Well,that's one way of preventing folk asking to play your mandolin,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

26. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Kirk

Blog Entries

Hi again all,
    I see there is a mystery and misunderstanding to me changing strings in three years: so here goes an explanation with no formal luthiers near I was rather nervous about doing it myself, floating bridge and all and lack of sight.
    Last year I played much less as my husband and I had health problems, so yes, I guess strings lasted longer. So when I played with great gusto the other day, my strings the e one snapped. I am even now intimidated and hope my guitar player friend can even do this. Really scared of damaging something.

Also must say when I tuned the e it felt tight when turning the tuning peg, so any advice here would also do.

Thanks

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Blog Entries

A shout out of thanks to CatMandu, Kirk and Keith for the understanding. I cannot tell you how frightening it is to know I must change strings but be to afraid to do so: no nearby luthier, not one music shop in Grahamstown selling mandolin strings. . That is for me my string changes may be determined by availability. What can I say? This is Africa. I have about two full sets of strings, then a few loose others which may be different gauges, so I may not even be able to use these.

Anyhow my poor mandolin will live to die another day? <synical smile>

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Pasha Alden View Post
    Hi again all,
    I see there is a mystery and misunderstanding to me changing strings in three years: so here goes an explanation with no formal luthiers near I was rather nervous about doing it myself, floating bridge and all and lack of sight.
    Last year I played much less as my husband and I had health problems, so yes, I guess strings lasted longer. So when I played with great gusto the other day, my strings the e one snapped. I am even now intimidated and hope my guitar player friend can even do this. Really scared of damaging something.

Also must say when I tuned the e it felt tight when turning the tuning peg, so any advice here would also do.

Thanks
    Pasha

You're guitar playing friend should be able to do this no problem...providing he knows how to change guitar strings ( just do one at at time )

The tight machine head may just need a touch of lubricant but I doubt it's anything to worry about. Try a spot of olive oil...just rub a smidge on

Changing strings can be fiddly but it's a straight forward job. If you have a musical instrument shop nearby I'm sure they'd oblige.
    Northfield NF5S
    2001 Flatiron Festival
    Epiphone MM-50
    Guild D55
    National Style 0
    1987 Gibson 335
    60th Anniversary Strat

31. The following members say thank you to JKA for this post:

The video Brad Laird posted up above....I found that one on You Tube and I review it each time I replace my strings. Thanks to Brad for a great demonstration...it made changing strings the first time a whole lot easier (and some piece of mind when doing it).

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Pasha, you're such a nice lady, I'll bet most of these terrific folks would be willing to swim to you just to help.
    Cafe at it's best.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Blog Entries

Hello Bill Clements: what a kind thing to say. I just felt foolish when someone almost berated me for not changing strings sooner, I would usually do the right thing, such as restringing sooner, it all was just overwhelming and was just afraid to cause more damage. To JKA, the news that a guitar player can help is good news. The person helping has a mandolin as a family heirloom, but he cannot play, perhaps you all on the café and I will be teaching him soon?

Brad: we will use your video demonstration just to be extra safe.
    To Ivan, RayT and all others, thanks for the advice.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Pasha - I'd advise only one other thing - buy a couple of sets of a good brand of string ie. D'Addario EJ74's / GHS A270's to have them 'just in case',either from the USA / UK . Most stores are pretty quick off the mark at sending them on,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

36. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post: