Thread: Dismantling a James tailpiece?

Default Dismantling a James tailpiece?

Has anyone tried removing the hinged cover on a James tailpiece? If so how did you do it? (I'd be inclined to remove the pin with a drift and a hammer but there might be a simpler way)

Why? - The gold plated tailpiece on my (used) Kimble F was tarnished when I bought it and I finally got round to polishing it yesterday only to find that the tarnishing is down to wear on the plating so I'm thinking I might get it re-plated. If there's a simple way to get the cover off, the rest of it might as well stay on the mandolin.

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Default Re: Dismantling a James tailpiece?

I'd email the maker about this. He's readily approachable.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Just poke the pins in (I use a stout piece of wire) and slide the cover off at the same time. Be careful though, there are two springs in there that like to fire across the room when you least expect it!

4. The following members say thank you to Max Girouard for this post:

Ray(T) 

Thanks for that Max; it sounds much the same mechanism as that holding a watch strap in place - and probably more difficult putting the thing back on again. I'll make sure I do it in a confined space!

Adrian Minarovic

Be carefull as the strings are quite strong, I mean REALLY strong! I removed the cover twice, once for engraving on new build and second time ten years later for replacement as the silver tarnished too much for customers taste. The first time it was tough but the sacond was almost impossible as on the side where hand rests the pin corroded and got completely stuck in the hole. I managed to push in the pin on the other side and maneuver the cover out and had to pull the pin out with pliers.
    I recommend making blunt pushing pin with substantial handle so you can hold it safely if it slips while pushing hard and remove the tailpiece from mandolin for the operation. ALso do use WD40 or similar to the hinges few hours before doing the swap to loosent any dirt or corrosion.
    Adrian

7. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Ray(T) 

Ray - Personally,i'd remove the whole tailpiece & have it all re-plated in the same grade of Gold. Contact this place ''The Gold Plating Company'' http://www.goldplating1.co.uk/contact.php They carry out what they call ''brush plating'' which can be done on assembled items such as the tailpiece without the need to immerse it in a plating bath,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

That's probably the simplest solution Ivan. Looks like they're just up the M61 from you.

I assumed the thing would have to be taken apart in order to re-plate it.