Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why electric mandolin?

Default Re: Why electric mandolin?

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    This hollow-body, 8-string electric mandolin appears to have a more "mandolin-y" sound, even though it utilizes a magnetic pickup:
    Hey that's me!

The idea of that instrument was to embrace the electric guitar aesthetic, while still keeping it sounding like a mandolin.

The limitation with an instrument like that, is that the double strings don't respond so well to regular guitar effects - in other words it's designed as a mandolin substitute for situations where noise levels preclude an acoustic. 4/5 string electrics are a whole other kettle of fish - the single strings are far better suited to the application of effects - and you just get a whole different sound from one string rather than 2, if the moderators will forgive my commercial interest, here's the 5 string follow up to that 8 string:

The granddaddy of all these instruments were a small number of highly collectable models from Paul Bigsby, still the gold standard for electric mandolin tone:

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tavy For This Useful Post:

I have no problem with an electric guitar or mandolin. There are some ways they are played I like and some ways I don't. Imagine that! What I don't understand is buying a great acoustic instrument for it's sound and then putting a pic up on it so it doesn't sound like it's supposed to. I've never heard an acoustic/electric guitar or mandolin sound like a good acoustic. If I felt I had to play such an instrument I'd buy a cheep instrument and put my money in the amplification. That's where the sound is coming from anyway. Plug into a different amp your instrument sounds different, same with pic up, pre- amp effects etc.

I took the plastic cover off my Fender 8-string eMando and it had 5 pole pieces under there. Any explanation for this? I can only figure it's the same pickup they use for their 5-string version. (I can't keep their numbering straight ... mine's the semi-hollowbody with the single f-hole on the bass side, 8 strings, and the hockey stick head.)

Edit: Looked it up, it's the 61SE.

Also, does removing the plastic cover help the sound much? I couldn't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    And of course, not only this (as someone upthreads mentioned the 'electric-guitar' interface aspect of it all)...but of course, also all the other technological gadgets and toys in the dig age - the electric *guitar* aspect (amps, effects) being just one ..
    I never thought of effects pedals as "guitar" items specifically ... just effects pedals, for whatever you want to plug into them. I know they're designed for guitars (mostly), and there are different pedals for bass and whatnot, but I don't know of any specifically made for electric mandolins; maybe there's a market there. I have used fx pedals on an electric violin, also. I've thought of trying them with just a mic and voice, too, to see what happens.

I replaced the whole scratch plate and changed the PU, Pots and Jack , on my Fender FM61..

New parts & plastic sheet came from Stew Mac ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Huge improvement over the old steam and coal mandolins.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Here is one good reason.

The other is to play loud angry fiddle tunes.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

>is an electric mandolin sort of pointless?
    Not at all. Use an acoustic mandolin for a distinctive acoustic sound.
    Use an electric mandolin to maintain the fingering you know and get an electric tone.
    I guess the question is like "Are electric guitars sort of pointless?" No. They are
    perfect for electric guitar tone. Not a good solution for acoustic tone.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joel Glassman For This Useful Post:

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I'm on my 3rd electric solid body; its my first 5-string after 2 4-stringers. I also have my Rigel retrofitted w/their piezo p'up, and have added a Radius to my Newson.

The solid body is extremely versatile for many different styles (as is the electric guitar), and w/different amp settings and effects can be tweaked in exquisitely detailed ways. Some venues, set ups and set lists make the solid body the way to go.

My amplified acoustics are perfect for other needs and settings. The Baggs Venue also helps me tweak and get the tone I want. In the small open mic settings it's an easy plug into the PA; for longer gigs in larger venues it's just as easy a plug into the board.

I've been thinking that my next niche to fill is a semi-hollow body w/active pickups, maybe in a 335 body style. Or else I might succumb to Mandocrucian's tantalizing suggestion.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

13. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

Gibson EM 200 have 2 points..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

15. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Eastwood (not to be confused with Eastman) has several electric mandolin-type instruments. I like their Airline electric mandola (sea foam green FTW!) They also have a Mandocaster and a 12-string Mandocaster, though unfortunately the latter is tuned like a guitar. I would like to try to restring it in fifths if that were possible.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/other-1

For that matter Eastwood makes some interesting looking guitars too. Check out their California Rebel, or the LaBaye 2x4, or the Airline '59, or the electric reso ...

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/eastwood-1/
    http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/airli...lack-and-blue/

Why? Because we like them... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emando_group_shot.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	149644
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

I thought I would add my two cents to the fray, for what it's worth. Like most, I began with acoustic instruments and as I progressed and improved I kept looking for different voices, hence the lineup of instruments on my den wall. I was just getting ready to pull the plug on a bowlback (I'm obsessed with classical music), when my wife gave me a fender Mandostrat as a retirement gift. (As a po boy growing up I coveted a Fender guitar). The setup was horrible and it hung on my wall for nearly a year only being played occasionally. After finally sending it out to a local luthier I found myself playing it more and more. All those different voices I searched for were suddenly within my grasp; with the twist of a few knobs that Bach prelude can now sound as though it's been piped through St. Patrick's cathedral. Every piece can have its own voice. I smitten! MAS is no longer a disease to be feared. The walls still remain cluttered with instruments but their growth has slowed. My last acquisition was a five string blue star and will hopefully keep the dreaded disease in check for a time...or not. There's a place for the electric mandolin right next to the acoustic and each fits nicely.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenny A For This Useful Post:

Just found a thread that I actually started a while ago ... I never did get the Duesenberg (yet.) Love those knob tuners.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...ectric-Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Beanzy View Post
    Because......
    Collings MT-O Sunburst (2014)
    Kentucky KM630 (early 1990s Korean) w/ K&K Twin Internal
    Vega K-Style Mandolin Banjo (1917)
    Vega N-Style 17-Fret Tenor Banjo (1922)
    Deering Goodtime 2 5-String Banjo w/ Resonator

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Glassman View Post
    >is an electric mandolin sort of pointless?
    Not at all. Use an acoustic mandolin for a distinctive acoustic sound.
    Use an electric mandolin to maintain the fingering you know and get an electric tone.
    I guess the question is like "Are electric guitars sort of pointless?" No. They are
    perfect for electric guitar tone. Not a good solution for acoustic tone.
    My question, which could have been better phrased, was why have an electric mandolin when it sounds so much like an electric guitar (why not just have an electric guitar). I have since learned, thanks to this thread, that there are many reasons, they just weren't obvious in my tiny sample.When I want to play in a rock band ima get me an emando.

And there are a few 4 string solid body single coil Eastwood Mandostangs floating around in cherry, and custard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny A View Post
    My last acquisition was a five string blue star and will hopefully keep the dreaded disease in check for a time...or not.
    I recently got a five string blue star. I really like it. For the price it delivers a lot of fun.

The entire staff
    funny....

I was lucky to see two good solid body electric mandolinists in the 70s and 80s:

Dan del Santo (and his Professors of Pleasure) playing at various bars and clubs around Austin in 1978

Sam Bush (yes, him) playing with the Newgrass Revival at St Kilda Palais in Melbourne, Australia in 1980 or 81.
    As well as doing their own bit, they also played as Leon Russell's band in that show (which also included The Amazing Rhythm Aces).
    Sam was bending strings on the solid body and generally playing like an electric guitarist.

For his acoustic mandolin, he used the pickup for rhythm and background playing and stepped up to the mike for solos.
    Bren

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

I thought of 2 more reasons I like my solid body electric mandolin-

It's a great quiet instrument for when you really want to play but can't make much noise.

It's great fun to play around with sounds usually associated with electric guitar. I play through a Fender Mustang I amp which is a great inexpensive amp. It comes with a lot of modeled amps built right in, so I can make my mandolin sound like anything from a pretty decent acoustic mando (good enough for pub gigs- to screaming heavy metal. Brings out the rock star wannabe in me.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post
    an electric guitarslinger at heart trapped by life's cruel circumstances in a mandolin player's body.
    That's one reason.

The other is to be able to practise under quiet conditions, such as hotel rooms.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Why? Because we like them... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emando_group_shot.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	149644
    The best answer here.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

30. The following members say thank you to zedmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lenf12 View Post
    I think you have to make a distinction between 4/5 string and 8 string emandos. The 4/5 string variety does sound a lot like a small electric guitar to my ears as well. The 8 string variety however retains that double course sound we know and love even when plugged in. Like Paul Busman, my emando looks like a little Telecaster which I love.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81358.jpg 
Views:	414 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	149623

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    The 8 String Electric Mandolin sound falls in between an Electric Guitar & a Mandolin so rather interesting. It's Mandolin pitched.

You can eliminate those mics & play lightly & fast too. Because Electric Mandolins are easier to mass-produce than their Acoustic Counterparts, they're now less expensive. The bolt on neck makes it easier to reset the neck which is neat. They hold tune longer because the body is only one piece of wood. The intonatable bridge makes it easier to fine tune each string. I modified my Acoustic Mandolin to play like an Electric by using thinner strings & to make it super loud, I severely thinned the top & added an intonatable tune-o-matic mandolin bridge.

To make bending on an 8 String Electric Mandolin easier, I actually cut the scale length down from 13 inches to only 9 or 8 inches like a 1/32 size violin.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason why Electric stringed instruments work best w/ lighter gauge strings & the thing that prevents fret buzz even w/ lower action is that w/ more pickups it restricts the movement of the strings.