Thread: Pick up / preamp question

Default Pick up / preamp question

My jazz trio normally uses a PA system / mics for gigs... But we've decided to do some street playing, busking, etc. this fall.

So, a simpler system is needed... We're planning to get Roland battery-powered micro cubes, and I need to get a pickup for my mandolin.

YES, I've read the myriad other threads on this subject (and many helpful posts from almeira strings, folded path, etc.).... But there are SO many conflicting opinions.

I'd really appreciate some current thoughts before I buy anything.... I'm considering the following pickups that I can install myself:
    1. LR Baggs
    2. Schert. Dyn m
    3. K&K Twin Fusion

Which one would you suggest? And, I assume I'll need a preamp? What do you suggest as a bulletproof pairing?

My intent is to assemble a simple, light, great-sounding little rig... Hopefully around $500...

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
    Northfield Big Mon
    Royce Burt Fiddle
    Martin D-18

Default Re: Pick up / preamp question

Schertler Dyn M is simple to use as it IS a (contact-dynamic) microphone and so you just plug it into an
    Internal Microphone Preamp that is Built in..

just get one of the Roland battery powered Products with a Microphone input..

the other 2 are high impedance and so Will need a Buffering pre amp , a 3rd piece to buy .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

3. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

For a pickup system, the simple option that works just fine in a wide range of situations and is very reliable is the K&K Twin (or very similar unit from JJB):

http://www.jjb-electronics.com/prestige-220.html

Whether a preamp is needed depends what you are plugging into. A 'real' acoustic guitar amp = usually not, as these will have a suitable passive transducer input (ultra Hi-z) and also offer decent EQ on board. Many small battery powered amps lack these facilities....

There is one particular little amp that is surprisingly capable, but may be hard to find. This one, from ARTEC:

http://www.artecsound.com/amps/pma3.htm

The battery operated version ( PMD3-8 - 20W ) sounds quite decent, and it has a good range of inputs... you can even pole mount it like a mini-PA. They show up on Ebay... not sure who the distributor is in the US. You can actually plug a K&K straight into the Hi-z on these. Sounds OK. I thought they sounded better than the Roland Mobile AC when I had one here for a while.

The larger Roland acoustic amps are certainly superior, however.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

5. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

>> There is an Instrument Input switch on my Roland AC 60 piezo or Magnetic ..
    It has a Cord and a Transformer and internal Power Supply. (Rather Heavy)

AC 33 is the battery Operated version ...Having looked [website] I dont see that on it.

[AC 40 is not battery powered , it uses a Wall Wart to turn the power
    in what ever country standard is local , to the DC to run the Amp, so Lighter ]
    no input type switch there either
    Last edited by mandroid; Sep-10-2016 at 3:07pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

7. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I have a LR Baggs radius that was installed by Weber when the Fern was new and it sounds pretty good. I have the K&K product in several other instruments & I really love their sound, very realistic sounding

I use the LR Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. pre amp for everything and it's great. Also, it's powered by a 9volt battery and doesn't need to be plugged in. The battery lasts a really long time.

The amp that I have that is battery powered is no longer made but you can still find them out there. Made by Crate and called the Limousine. Decent sound and the on board battery will go on for hours.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Billy Packard
    Gilchrist A3, 1993
    Stiver Fern, 1990
    Weber Fern, 2007
    Gibson F4 Hybrid #1, D. Harvey 2009
    Gibson 1923 A2
    Numerous wonderful guitars

I'll add my weight to the K&K (or similar/identical pickups by other makers) - simple, hidden, and it sounds good.

I quite like my Fire-Eye Red-Eye preamp, but as noted by others, you may not need one depending on which amp you're using.

Do you definitely need to be plugged in? I realize you aren't playing bluegrass, but my bass/guitar/mandolin trio gets on just fine at farmers markets and busking with just our instruments and voices.