Thread: Mandola vs. Mandocello (vintage)

Default Mandola vs. Mandocello (vintage)

Mandolin is obviously the king of the mandolin family instruments. I was just curious as to who comes in 2nd these days in terms of popularity. Sales, pricing, playing, general interest, etc.... I'm speaking purely in the world of vintage instrument enthusiasts. I think for modern builders the octave mandolin might be second.

Phil

Default Re: Mandola vs. Mandocello (vintage)

Vintage? Number 2 has to be the mandola. The octave mandolin wasn't part of the equation in the Gibson glory years. And the mandocello and mandobass weren't ever produced in very large numbers. So there aren't a lot of them around. And to be honest, the ones that still exist don't seem to fetch prices that are on par with their rarity. But vintage mandolas are out there, and seem to have some interest.

A teens F4 mandolin will fetch maybe $5K-$6K in excellent condition? The price is nearly double for an H4 mandola in the same condition, at around $10K-$12K.

Blog Entries

I think you might get different answers if you asked a player or if you asked a collector. I believe a mandocello is a little more collectable than the mandola, but that a mandola is more popular among players.

I could be totally wrong, but some recent experience points me in that direction.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    Vintage? Number 2 has to be the mandola. The octave mandolin wasn't part of the equation in the Gibson glory years.
    And you are somewhat northamerican-centric. Mandolas (at least the one tuned to CGDA) were pretty rare in Europe and most of the mandola-labelled instruments over there were tuned as we would tune octave mandolins. Some among vintage mandolin family in Europe, yes, mandolas but they are tuned one octave below mandolins.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Vintage? Number 2 has to be the mandola. The octave mandolin wasn't part of the equation in the Gibson glory years. And the mandocello and mandobass weren't ever produced in very large numbers. So there aren't a lot of them around. And to be honest, the ones that still exist don't seem to fetch prices that are on par with their rarity. But vintage mandolas are out there, and seem to have some interest.

A teens F4 mandolin will fetch maybe $5K-$6K in excellent condition? The price is nearly double for an H4 mandola in the same condition, at around $10K-$12K.
    You got any examples of sales at those prices? I've seen teens F4's sit between 4 and 5K... and they do just sit. The last H4 I saw was for $6k and it might still be there. H1 and H2 sell for mid teens to mid 2's. There are certainly a lot of H1 and H2's still around.

Blog Entries

Vintage? .....A teens F4 mandolin will fetch maybe $5K-$6K in excellent condition? The price is nearly double for an H4 mandola in the same condition, at around $10K-$12K.
    It goes the other way with 1920's F-5s ($150 - 200K) versus H-5s ($60 - 100K) though and the H-5s certainly were made in much smaller numbers....
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    And you are somewhat northamerican-centric. Mandolas (at least the one tuned to CGDA) were pretty rare in Europe and most of the mandola-labelled instruments over there were tuned as we would tune octave mandolins. Some among vintage mandolin family in Europe, yes, mandolas but they are tuned one octave below mandolins.
    I did not know that - but it makes sense then that Europeans call mandolas the "octave mandolin". And I have seen octave mandola used for the mandocello too.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    You got any examples of sales at those prices? I've seen teens F4's sit between 4 and 5K... and they do just sit. The last H4 I saw was for $6k and it might still be there. H1 and H2 sell for mid teens to mid 2's. There are certainly a lot of H1 and H2's still around.
    H1 and H2 models are bargains, IMHO. When I bought my H4, it took months to even find one. I paid $8.5K, and considered it luck. There were 2 others, one at $10.5K and one at $11.5K. But that was a while back. The market may be depressed at the moment.

I see F4s all the time in that $5K- $6K price range. I gave $5.7K for mine at the time, and it was on par with several others I was considering. But again, the market varies.

I don't think any grand generalizations can be made about mandolas without breaking down the discussion into models.

As for being North Americanized, well, of course! When we speak of vintage mandolin orchestra family instruments and their popularity, isn't it really Gibson models we're talking about? European models don't seem common enough to even have a following that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    I did not know that - but it makes sense then that Europeans call mandolas the "octave mandolin". And I have seen octave mandola used for the mandocello too.
    In the mandolin orchestras and scores I have seen over here they tend to just call them mandolas, a CGDA mandola would be a tenor mandola. In the folk world it's a bit different.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by derbex View Post
    In the mandolin orchestras and scores I have seen over here they tend to just call them mandolas, a CGDA mandola would be a tenor mandola. In the folk world it's a bit different.
    Thanks. So you have mandolin gdae; tenor mandola (or just mandola) cgda ; and octave mandola CGDA then? I do sense the mandola is having a surge of popularity now in the US at least?
    Bernie
    ____

Since the L-5 was originally a member of Loar's mandolin family, I would say the guitar is number 2!
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    Thanks. So you have mandolin gdae; tenor mandola (or just mandola) cgda ; and octave mandola CGDA then? I do sense the mandola is having a surge of popularity now in the US at least?
    In Europe, the mandola (cgda) is called an alto mandolin. Octave mandolins in Europe are sometimes called mandolas. I've never heard the term octave mandola (low cgda), as that is a mandocello.

Quartet you need one Of each + 2 mandolins.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    In Europe, the mandola (cgda) is called an alto mandolin. Octave mandolins in Europe are sometimes called mandolas. I've never heard the term octave mandola (low cgda), as that is a mandocello.
    I think I like our system better!
    Bernie
    ____

16. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

A rose by any other name...

Quote Originally Posted by David L View Post
    The naming is confused by the American influence obscuring the older European names, which themselves were somewhat inconsistent. At this stage, the following names all co-exist in Europe for mandolas:

CGDA:
    • Alto mandola.
    • Tenor mandola (common in older UK usage, but not Continental Europe -- name derived from the tenor guitar and tenor banjo, but like them a misnomer for CGDA tuning as that covers the alto not tenor range).
    • Mandola (from dealers who copy US catalogue descriptions, and their customers who are unfamiliar with older UK/European usage).
    • Mandola in Do (common in Italy, and probably the most elegant way of resolving ambiguity).
    • Alt-Mandoline (common in Germany).

GDAE:
    • Mandola (the default name in Continental Europe and until recently the UK)
    • Octave mandola (used to differentiate the older "mandola" meaning from the more recent CGDA meaning imported from the US -- a misnomer as the name suggests an octave below mandola, which is not the case).
    • Tenor mandola (musicologically correct, but inviting confusion with older UK usage).
    • Octave mandolin (relatively recently imported name from the US, but with the advantage of being entirely unambiguous).
    • Mandola in Sol (Italian usage, also unambiguous).

Martin

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin Jonas For This Useful Post:

Well; 'Tenor Mandola' (to an outsider) Does make some sense in Classical music They'd read the Viola charts
    which use the Tenor (C) Clef

the symbol centers on Middle C .. 2nd line from the top . open C string is the space under the 1st line.

rather than that C being in the Bass and extending across the middle C to the Treble clef
    as Pianists read.

http://musictheoryblog.blogspot.com/...nor-clefs.html
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    Well; 'Tenor Mandola' (to an outsider) Does make some sense in Classical music They'd read the Viola charts
    which use the Tenor (C) Clef

the symbol centers on Middle C .. 2nd line from the top .
    Not quite. The viola (and CGDA mandola) most commonly uses the alto clef rather than the tenor clef, with middle C on the middle line rather than the second line from the top. That's why "tenor mandola" is confusing, as the CGDA mandola is an alto instrument rather than a tenor instrument.

Martin

I dont Sight read you guys go ahead without me. I'll be at the Bar.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture