Thread: Advice on first serious mandolin purchase

Default Advice on first serious mandolin purchase

Hello everyone,

I am to hoping to soon make my first purchase of an at least somewhat professional mandolin. I have been playing for three years, on an inexpensive Ibanez A model. I am from the US, but I live abroad (Turkey, soon to be relocating ... somewhere else in the vicinity, not sure where) and the mandolin pickings are quite slim in these parts (there are some interesting vintage mandolins on the market, but they aren't what I'm looking for). But I need to return to the US for a wedding, so now I am actively looking for a step up.

I mostly play Irish traditional music and attempt to play (with all apologies to Bach) classical. But I would prefer not to be hemmed in to one particular sound. Because I play at sessions, volume is pretty high on my list of priorities. I'm hoping not to go above the $1,000 mark, and if I could keep it down to $700 or so I would be quite happy. I would be fine with a used instrument. So far, Breedlove mandolins have caught my attention. There's an awfully pretty Premier OF in the classifieds in my price range. Weber Gallatins are also appealing ... they're out of my price range, but I could probably be convinced if someone were to tell me the extra 300-500 would CHANGE MY LIFE FOREVER. So that's what's on my mind. If you can think of any options I've been leaving out, I'd appreciate your input.

Oh, and one more thing: What are your thoughts on buying a mandolin you haven't played before? My options at the moment are to buy online in advance of my arrival in the US, or to cross my fingers and hope that Elderly Instruments in MI (where I'll be going) happens to have what I need when I get there.

You have my gratitude for reading my long post.

Default Re: Advice on first serious mandolin purchase

There are many options in your price range so you should just wait to get to Elderly where you'll have the chance to play a wide variety of quality instruments and get exactly what speaks to you. I would have loved to have had such an opportunity and had to play the buy, wait, test, reject, send back game many times before finding something I could be happy with for the time being. My next upgrade will be to something I will have played first.

C.
    Northfield F5S Amber #347 - 'Squeeze'
    Mann EM-5 Hollow Body - Gimme Moore
    Kentucky KM-270 - Not just for whisky
    Flatiron 1N Pancake - Not just for breakfast
    Epiphone Mandobird IV - Djangly
    Cozart 8-string e-mando - El Ch(e)apo
    Lanikai LB6-S Banjolele (tuned GDAE) - Plinky and the Brane

Blog Entries

Elderly has a 30 day trial on new and 7 days on used unless I'm reading their return policy wrong.

4. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

Agree with playing before you buy. It insures you'll get the mandolin that plays and sounds the best, within your budget, to you.

I've bought numerous instruments online, and have been very happy with some, less than enthused with others. Playing first eliminates the "surprise" factor.
    Chuck

LowNSlow, you're probably right about waiting. It's just hard since used mandolins seem to come and go pretty quickly. They had an awfully nice looking Breedlove Quartz KO on the Elderly site that seems to have been sold just in the past hour or two. But, of course, I've never played a Breedlove, so maybe I wouldn't even like it.

If you're going to be near Elderly, that is your best bet for being able to play many instruments in your price range and make a decision based on what sounds best and plays best to you.
    I have tried the new Breedlove Crossover that they list at $700 and it is really sub-par compared the the Eastman MD505 and MD504 that they sell for the same price.
    This flat top might suit Irish music well, but you'll have to play it to find out!
    http://www.elderly.com/instruments/m...t-top-2007.htm
    Have fun and let us know what you end up with!
    Safe travels!
    Al

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

If you can afford that extra $500 maybe alittle more buying used at $1500.00 -2000.00 you will get a much better instrument , but i do agree play as many as you can when you get to the usa , hopefully one will speak to you.
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by midwinterspring View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am to hoping to soon make my first purchase of an at least somewhat professional mandolin. I have been playing for three years, on an inexpensive Ibanez A model. I am from the US, but I live abroad (Turkey, soon to be relocating ... somewhere else in the vicinity, not sure where) and the mandolin pickings are quite slim in these parts (there are some interesting vintage mandolins on the market, but they aren't what I'm looking for). But I need to return to the US for a wedding, so now I am actively looking for a step up.

I mostly play Irish traditional music and attempt to play (with all apologies to Bach) classical. But I would prefer not to be hemmed in to one particular sound. Because I play at sessions, volume is pretty high on my list of priorities. I'm hoping not to go above the $1,000 mark, and if I could keep it down to $700 or so I would be quite happy. I would be fine with a used instrument. So far, Breedlove mandolins have caught my attention. There's an awfully pretty Premier OF in the classifieds in my price range. Weber Gallatins are also appealing ... they're out of my price range, but I could probably be convinced if someone were to tell me the extra 300-500 would CHANGE MY LIFE FOREVER. So that's what's on my mind. If you can think of any options I've been leaving out, I'd appreciate your input.

Oh, and one more thing: What are your thoughts on buying a mandolin you haven't played before? My options at the moment are to buy online in advance of my arrival in the US, or to cross my fingers and hope that Elderly Instruments in MI (where I'll be going) happens to have what I need when I get there.

You have my gratitude for reading my long post.
    Elderly, The Mandolin Store and Robert Fear all carry the Kentucky line. If you choose an A-style, any Ky model, from the 150 on up ,may be all the mandolin you'll ever need . Any of the three vendors will ensure that it's properly set up. Good luck!
    “Mandolin brands are a guide, not Gospel “
    - Data Nick

I also agree with playing an instrument before you buy if possible. No two instruments are exactly alike, and you may get lucky with an on-line purchase and then again, you might not. Elderly should give you some very good options, and there's nothing as good as playing a mandolin and knowing that you want to take it home with you. With that said and to respond to one of your qustions, the Breedlove OF, (now called the Premiere) is, IMO, a nice looking and good sounding mandolin that would be at home playing any number of genres. I'm not sure how loud it is however. The Breedlove Crossover is OK, but if you play the two side by side, you'll see and hear the difference. Good luck and be sure to tell us what you choose.
    2007 Sumi F-5 Deluxe
    1991 Flatiron Performer A
    Martin D-35

For me, moving from my Eastman MD 505 ($700 new) to my Silverangel Econo A ($1400 used) was indeed mind blowing, and transformative. Mo bedda everything.

I think the Kentucky km-900 or km-950 are awesome mandolins for less than $1000. I owned a 950 that sounded, looked, and played great. During the time I owned it, I also owned a 1999 Flatiron Festival, a Pava A5, and a Lewis F5. I actually thought the Kentucky played and sounded better than the more expensive Flatiron. While obviously not as nice as the Pava or Lewis, it stood up admirably to both of those as well. I bought the 950 from the Mandolin Store. More recently, I bought a km-150, and I can't believe how nice it plays and sound. The 150, which I purchased from folkmusician.com, is also a great value for a less than $500 mandolin. Both those mandolins came nicely setup so that they played really well. NFI with either of those sellers, but I am a satisfied customer. The setup on the less than $1000 instruments seems crucial, so that's an important consideration when buying. The classifieds here have also been consistently offering an amazing and MAS-induction selection of instruments, including a lot of great deals on used mandolins in the $1000 ballpark. Preowned is a great way to go. Scott

If you google "site:mandolincafe.com $1000" or $800 or whatever, it'll pull up hours of reading, no kidding, talking about the Kentucky master models (my recommendation), Bovier, Breedloves, Howard Morris, flattops by flatiron, Red valley, big muddy etc and other A-styles in the price range,

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...lins-1000-1500

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...lin-below-1000

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...-What-to-avoid
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    This flat top might suit Irish music well, but you'll have to play it to find out! http://www.elderly.com/instruments/m...t-top-2007.htm
    I think this suggestion makes a lot of sense given the budget ($700-$1000) and the applications (ITM and classical). Carved mandolins in that price range are usually (but not always) intermediate instruments that might fall victim to later upgrades. By contrast, that Newell could well be all the flattop you will ever want or need.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Seems like you are a perfect candidate for a Big Muddy mandolin. It wasn't so long ago that Mid Missouri/Big Muddy was the go to suggestion for an American built mandolin in the under $1k range. They are flat top mandolins, so they lack a strong, well defined chop, but for music other than bluegrass they are very fine instruments. In fact, if you don't play bluegrass, a Big Muddy could easily be your forever mandolin. I have owned 2 and they were extremely consistent with very good fit and finish. Other flat tops (Newell, Poe, Morris) should also receive consideration.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

Quote Originally Posted by dwc View Post
    Seems like you are a perfect candidate for a Big Muddy mandolin. It wasn't so long ago that Mid Missouri/Big Muddy was the go to suggestion for an American built mandolin in the under $1k range. They are flat top mandolins, so they lack a strong, well defined chop, but for music other than bluegrass they are very fine instruments. In fact, if you don't play bluegrass, a Big Muddy could easily be your forever mandolin. I have owned 2 and they were extremely consistent with very good fit and finish. Other flat tops (Newell, Poe, Morris) should also receive consideration.

Thanks, DWC. Actually, I have looked at the Big Muddies online. They do seem like fine instruments. But it seems like I would have to buy them online, since I don't get the impression you can find them at most music stores (Elderly doesn't appear to have them). Is this one case where buying before playing would be an OK decision?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for them to ship? Do they make them all from scratch after you order them?

Quote Originally Posted by midwinterspring View Post
    Thanks, DWC. Actually, I have looked at the Big Muddies online. They do seem like fine instruments. But it seems like I would have to buy them online, since I don't get the impression you can find them at most music stores (Elderly doesn't appear to have them). Is this one case where buying before playing would be an OK decision?

Also, does anyone know how long it takes for them to ship? Do they make them all from scratch after you order them?
    IMO, you can never say with absolute certainty that you will like a given instrument. Heck, even if you play it first you may find that it doesn't suit your needs a day, a week, a month, a year later. Depending on how it is voiced, a mandolin can take on different properties in a group that you don't hear/notice/appreciate when you audition it in a solo context. And, of course, there is always the possibility that you just get a dud, although I think that this possibility is relatively small and tends to be overblown.

Because of the way Big Muddy makes their instruments, I think they tend to be extremely consistent. Mike Dulak is pretty much a one man operation, and he has his jigs and tooling set. That is how he can build a custom mandolin at the price point he does.

I don't think Big Muddy has distributors/dealers any more. I may be wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Big Muddy site unseen/unplayed. Like I said, I have owned 2 (both bought used and online) and was happy with both. I eventually sold both, although I would like to have my M-11 back.

I am sorry. I do not know the answer to your last 2 questions, but I bet someone will chime in. Alternatively, you could shoot Big Muddy an email and see what their lead time is and if they could have something ready for you when you come to the US.
    Northfield Artist Series F5 (2 bar, Adirondack)

I like Big Muddy as well, but there is not substitute for playing instruments before buying. Since you are going to be near Elderly anyway, that is the way I would go. They are one of the premiere mandolin shops in the country. They may also have some used instruments that have not made it onto their website yet.