Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This is incredible...

Default This is incredible...

Enjoy!

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: This is incredible...

Ok, so his technical proficiency is beyond compare. That is a self evident fact. And that being said, this wild stuff he chooses to do solo like this is just not my cup of tea. I watch the video, listened to the songs, and ultimately I just don't like it. You may all now commence throwing rocks at me.

I wonder if he will be doing a lot of this "wild" style (best descriptor I can come up with) on PHC and how that audience will react to it. Based on my listening experience (admittedly sporadic), it seems to me that audience is used to calmer, gentler styles of music. I enjoy listening to Thile when he plays classical, more traditional roots based stuff, or even some Nickel Creek but this stuff? Not so much.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

4. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Gypsy 

Hey Don,

No rocks thrown here man.. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you have every right to express so...
    Just like I have about how much I love it..
    Your comment is appreciated, that is was makes it a discussion forum.

Thank,
    Dem

I agree with the post made by Multidon....what gripes me is that the MC says it is bluegrass..Bah, Humbug, not even a hint of bluegrass in what he is doing...I noticed that most of the audience is on the younger side, a bunch of "REBELS" that just want to be noticed and will accept anything that is called "Music" I would say...

Everyone to their own taste but it surely isn`t to my liking...Whoever said he could sing?

+1 to multidon and Willie Poole. Not my cup of tea on a mandolin, but fine for others. I think this style of playing would have sounded better on a guitar.

8. The following members say thank you to Kris N for this post:

Gypsy 

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I agree with the post made by Multidon....what gripes me is that the MC says it is bluegrass..Bah, Humbug, not even a hint of bluegrass in what he is doing...I noticed that most of the audience is on the younger side, a bunch of "REBELS" that just want to be noticed and will accept anything that is called "Music" I would say...

Everyone to their own taste but it surely isn`t to my liking...Whoever said he could sing?
    While it's not my cup of tea either, I think it's a bit of a broad generalization to dismiss the crowd, because they're younger, as "rebels" who will accept anything. Everyone has different taste no matter what their age. I know quite young folks (teens) with fantastically broad taste in music - listening to classical, jazz, punk, soul, blues. Much broader in fact than my taste was at that age (100% punk music). Also, given that this was recorded at a state fair, many of these folks may simply have been at the fair, and stopping to watch the music vs. being actual "fans". I know plenty of older folks (non musicians I might add) who will accept anything as "music" - as we'd say in Ireland "Sure, they're not harming anyone..."
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jill McAuley For This Useful Post:

Very cool, thanks Demetrius.

I may not appreciate everything that he plays, but I will certainly listen to anything he plays; he's that talented of a person.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccravens For This Useful Post:

Yeh that crowd comment was condescending, totally uncalled for... keep it clean mates...
    Im sure there is an effective way to make a point without having to crytizise someone based on their age bracket. If it is indeed a good valid point it then it it has no need to diminish anyone else to make it...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Demetrius For This Useful Post:

I dig it, thanks for posting, Dem.
    Chuck

16. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Can anyone who listened to the early years of Rock n Roll with performers like Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis or Elvis say "Led Zeppelin or the Rolling Stones" aren't rock? Just because a genre evolves doesn't mean it isn't still rooted in the beginnings. Let's face it, people of the Monroe era probably hated where Tony Rice, Dawg and others took bluegrass. Now it's the norm for many people.

Chris Thile is a (the) master of the mandolin and probably the greatest student, scholar and afficianado of bluegrass alive today. There is nothing he can't play in the bluegrass genre and often still does. As groups like the Infamous Stringdusters and Punch Bros. will tell you, bluegrass and any music form are balloons. They are still inside the balloon, just expanding it. For us to "bah humbug" someone of this caliber who has probably exposed more people to bluegrass than anyone short of the founding fathers is cutting our nose off to spite our face. We NEED these younger generation fans and players to continue the beauty of bluegrass no matter how they get there.
    2009 Ellis A
    2015 Weber Yellowstone 2-Point Octave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1952 Martin A Oval
    1912 Martin Bowlback
    1915 Washburn Bowlback
    1910's Lyon and Healy Bowlback
    3-1900's European Bowlback's

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to 3rdegree For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

back in my day, the young crowd really liked the Newgrass Revival. It was too radical for the more traditional elders though.

I think CT's mannerisms are very quirky. I think he's genuine, however (i.e., not a contrived affectation). He really is fluent on the mandolin! Wow! All those busy notes in Bach! Crazy stuff! So well executed and musical!

Thanks for the YT link!

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

Its crazy that I always thought Thile fans were music geeks, then I learn they are just some no good REBELS that will listen to ANYTHING they are told is music.

But, ya, I would prefer to listen to Mike Compton, Chris Henry, Ronny, or Joe K. Walsh all day.

Chris is way cool and a marvelous mandolin player. He is at a level where the labels are not all that important. He is a musician. After all was Doc Watson a bluegrass musician? Would you not listen to him or kick him out of a jam because he was not bluegrass enough? How about Jethro?

Purists have been crabbing since the dawn of time. They crabbed about the Country Gentlemen, Seldom Scene, Newgrass Revival, Red Clay Ramblers, etc. Charlie Waller and Eddie Adcock were playing stuff that was not bluegrass. Bill Keith wasn't playing it like Earl did. Monroe walked away from playing with Sam Bush. He didn't like the Stanley Brothers presenting their music as bluegrass. People were crabbing about Earl when he formed the Scruggs Revue. I recall hearing a bluegrass dj whining and carrying on for about 10 minutes on air about what a horrible thing the Scruggs Revue was 15 years after the Revue was finished and done with instead of playing music. I mean really, criticizing Earl of all people for not being "bluegrass" enough. Seems kind of silly to me.

Chris's music may not be to everyones taste and some things don't work. But getting after him about his age or the crowd that follows him or the fact he tries things and pushes boundaries is a losing game. There are some wonderful young musicians out there today and he is one of them. I will listen to them.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I can't wait to hear what he does with the house band. He's an entertainment force.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Poole View Post
    I noticed that most of the audience is on the younger side, a bunch of "REBELS" that just want to be noticed and will accept anything that is called "Music" I would say...
    Oh, yeah. This sure looks like a bunch of wild REBELS to me. I'll bet a few of them were even late to church once or twice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thile Audience.png 
Views:	294 
Size:	549.8 KB 
ID:	149417
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

26. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Paul Kotapish For This Useful Post:

Good stuff. Thile is the best mandolin player on the planet. We all know that best way to have a million dollars at the end of the year playing bluegrass is to start with 2 million. He is stretching the music "His" music and in turn will help us bluergrassers by turning more people on to it. I do believe he is bored and although I do not like everything he does I appreciate it. While looking back at what he has done its pretty amazing, the musical journey continues and we can go along for the ride.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hallmark498 For This Useful Post:

The MC called it bluegrass because to the general public anything with a folk instrument is "bluegrass." There are plenty of people out there that think Mumford & Sons and he Avett Brothers are "bluegrass."

I just saw Chris do a solo show out here in LA last Tuesday to a SOLD OUT crowd. He sells out every time he's out here. He's doing something right!

And hey Willie, get off my lawn!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

There's no doubt that Chris Thile is the most technically proficient mandolin player alive today, or perhaps ever. Whatever one may think of his style and choice of music, I just can't think of anyone who could best him in the speed/fluidity/"blur of notes" department. The guy has chops and true mastery of the mandolin, as well as music in general.

When I was first starting out on the mandolin, Chris Thile was my top mandolin hero. I would even venture to say that without his influence, I may never have really developed the love for this instrument like I did (although it certainly has plenty going for it on its own). I bought his instructional video, many of the books with tab of his music, etc. And for that, I'll always credit (blame?) Chris Thile for my mandolin habit. I'm not alone, I'm sure.

But with that said, I came to a certain point where I realized I'd never be able to play like him. He transcends the abilities of mere mortals. That disappointing realization led me to other mandolin greats, and other styles of music. I have since moved on, and his musical style has gone through several different phases in that time. So now that I can look back with a broader understanding of mandolins and their place in music, I see his style of playing as just one piece of the big puzzle. And to be honest, it's not my favorite style.

If I'm being honest, there are two main reasons his style doesn't appeal to me as much any more. Firstly, I can't emulate it very well, which makes it difficult and frustrating. Part of having a mandolin hero is trying to follow that style and reproduce the sounds you hear. With Thile, it's impossible. Secondly, I can't even understand what he's doing half the time. It is so darn fast and uses runs of notes that don't make sense to me in the context of the music (either the key, chord progression, or what-have-you). If I can't make sense of the music or even hear the notes, all I'm left with is just a general sense that he was playing very fast to show off.

Both of these reasons revolve around a deficiency on my part, to be sure. One needs to be both a musical genius and a technical prodigy to "get" what Chris Thile does. I am neither. If I were, I'm sure I'd still be more into his music because it would make more sense to me. As it is, though, I prefer playing styles and musical choices that are more down-to-earth. I will just admire his artistry and skill from a distance.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Gypsyhank 

He's been listening to Frank Zappa. Nice mandolin too.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

34. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    The MC called it bluegrass because to the general public anything with a folk instrument is "bluegrass." There are plenty of people out there that think Mumford & Sons and the Avett Brothers are "bluegrass."
    Yessir.

Even my Millennial kids think/say that. And they know their old man doesn't think/say that.

And hey Willie, get off my lawn!

36. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

I find Thile very entertaining.

But the entertainment is derived more from being dazzled by his genius, rather than being moved by his artistry.

When you gets so good what else is there to do? You start your own style.

Great stuff. I love his playing, it's incredible.

A lot to be said for the comments above! I wouldn't question that Chris could and has played great bluegrass. His roots certainly trace to that genre. It is unnecessary to attempt to pigeon-hole him...other than to say he's one of the best mandolin players on the planet. As a bluegrasser of almost 60 years, I would hesitate to put his offerings in top 10 of my favorite bluegrass mandolinists, because he rarely plays the style of music I call "bluegrass".
    Rush Burkhardt
    Towson, MD

Free opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them!

I thought from some of the comments this was going to be some outlandish, wild off the wall video... It does get a little crazy towards the very end, but it is exactly what Chris has been doing for some time (essentially since Nickel Creek?).

At least two of the songs were straight from the phosphorescent blues album.

I get that some people don't like what Thile is doing now, they probably don't like most of the Punch Brothers albums, but I really do. He is artistic, creative, pushing boundaries, he throws in covers of songs I would likely never have heard or enjoyed (I have not listened to much Prince, or the White Stripes, and not even really Gillian Welsh or Josh Ritter) but experiencing them through the lens of what Chris does I have a new appreciation for music I would have never been exposed to. And no, its not bluegrass, and thats a good thing!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'