Thread: The Loar 500/600/700 vs. Eastman, JBovier, Kentucky etc.

Default The Loar 500/600/700 vs. Eastman, JBovier, Kentucky etc.

Hi all,

I've had a Kentucky KM505 for about seven years (having only played it seriously the last 1,5) and had originally planned to step up to something in the $1500-2000 range. However I've decided that I can't make such an expensive purchase without trying the mandolin first which means postponing it until my next trip to the US (this decision was influenced by a trip to Carter's in Nashville where I played several $3000+ mandolins that - to me - would not have been worth it).

I would however like to have something new to play with and hence I have been looking at the various pac-rims. Also, I have tried several of these that while not more expensive than my Kentucky, and not nescessarily better sounding, were more easy playing (and I have had my Kentucky setup by my local shop so it should be as good as it gets).

So, after lots of research, the options are The Loar models 500/600/700, Eastman 315 (which I believe is similar to the 515 except for finish and bling), JBovier F style and of course also a higher number Kentucky, and I'm looking for advice as to what to choose?

Also recommendations as to where to buy would be great since a good setup would be nice. And I wouldn't mind buying used.

As far as sound goes, I prefer woody/deep/dark to bright/brillant.

One thing of note is that here in Europe I can get The Loars through Thomann at very good prices (LM-500 is $150 cheaper than at Musician's Friend in the US and the LM-700 is $180 cheaper) so I guess they have an advantage.

Not the easiest question, but your help is greatly appreciated!

Hans

Default Re: The Loar 500/600/700 vs. Eastman, JBovier, Kentucky etc.

The Eastman I've tried out (505 model, I think) had a monster chop, quite heavy on the bass, very 'woody'.
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

If you are not too far away, I'd go visit Trevor at TAMCO and play what he has.
    Where are you located?

A few used mandolins around your price range. I'd be interested in the Flinthills/Franzke F5
    Listed here:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/99742#99742

Here is his used stock
    http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/...andolins-.html

You might also inquire about Eastman with him.

I like my Eastman MD-505 better than the Kentucky KM-505 mandolins that I've played.

He's also got a good stock of Webers if that is what you like:

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

I'd vote for the loar lm-700 but don't recommend that "upgrade". Save up for a Collings MT or something in that level.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Henrik Rasmussen View Post
    So, after lots of research, the options are The Loar models 500/600/700, Eastman 315 (which I believe is similar to the 515 except for finish and bling), JBovier F style and of course also a higher number Kentucky, and I'm looking for advice as to what to choose?
    My advice would be to choose the Kentucky KM505 you already own. I don't think you're likely to find a significant upgrade in the instruments you're considering. Save your money until you have the opportunity to move into the next tier of small shop / independently built mandolins.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I agree with Brian. Outside of the Northfields, most pac-rim models would not be much of an upgrade. I would recommend against a lateral trade, as our friend Allen Hopkins would call them and save up for that one you really want. For me the best decisions buying came from the gut. Last week i found a very special Girouard that came home with me, from Carter's. I was there for a friend and not intending to buy.
    Last edited by red7flag; Aug-16-2016 at 5:43pm.

I would not advise getting another mandolin just to have something "new". Save your money and add it to what you would have paid for the "next" instrument (and there will be a next one.) You can then choose an even better one.

The Kentucky is a nice one and few pacrims will best it.
    Last edited by Roger Moss; Aug-16-2016 at 6:33pm. Reason: Addition

Thanks for the advice guys - and for the well meant advice of saving my money, but as I wrote I will not be able to buy a higher class mandolin for maybe several years, so I really am interested in hearing your opinions on the models I listed.

Of course I might still end up waiting it out, but would like to know my options. And yes, it will be somewhat of a lateral move but as I wrote I have played several other mandolins in the same price class as my Kentucky which I liked more, so this isn't just because the money is burning a hole in my pocket (which they surely aren't).

Oh, and I'm in Denmark so unfortunately TAMCO is not an option (but man some nice - and expensive - mandolins).

Suggestions for used options that aren't too expensive would also be very welcome!

Thanks again!
    Hans

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

I really like my J Bovier F5-T it's nice and loud and sounds great
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

I'd vote for the loar lm-700 but don't recommend that "upgrade". Save up for a Collings MT or something in that level.
    [QUOTEMy advice would be to choose the Kentucky KM505 you already own. I don't think you're likely to find a significant upgrade in the instruments you're considering. Save your money until you have the opportunity to move into the next tier of small shop / independently built mandolins. ][/QUOTE]

Agree with both. I think your km505 is the equal of any of the models listed. Disclosure: I have owned a km505 but I have played the other models, so my bias is duly noted. I would recommend that you save some $$ and maybe upgrade to a km900, km1000, or Collings MT.

Perhaps working through different strings, both brands and gauges, along with a lot of pick research might be useful. Certainly changing to flat wound or flat top strings along with a dawg pick or a prime tone can change the sound significantly. Then the Kentucky will seem new.

Get something different. Like maybe the KM272. A style oval hole and it is a nice mandolin for the money.

If you go Loar, go 700. I've played a couple that were very good, and better than the KM 505 on the wall beside them. Or, if not necessarily better, I preferred the neck profile and larger frets, which for me enhance playability. I have an Eastman 315 that's a very good mandolin, esp for the price, but I think it would be a lateral move for you, if for no other reason than Eastman uses traditional size frets as well.
    Chuck

Also, I have tried several of these that while not more expensive than my Kentucky, and not nescessarily better sounding, were more easy playing (and I have had my Kentucky setup by my local shop so it should be as good as it gets).
    I might consider having your mandolin setup by someone experienced with mandolins. There is no reason the playability can't be just as good as anything else you are playing, unless you just flat-out don't like something about the neck shape, frets, etc..

If it is not playing as well as other mandolins, then it isn't setup as well as it could be.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

I owned a Loar 600 and they are a well made instrument & would fit your tonal preferences. Plenty of bark and volume !

As mentioned above, you might want to consider an oval hole as that may come closer to your tonal preference. That way you can keep the f-hole for it's mid-range and treble, and use the oval when you want a deeper, fuller tone. Each has their place and wouldn't step on each others toes.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

The Mandolin Store currently has a Kentucky km-1050 with a mark on the top from the bridge thy have discounted. It is a very good price and should come with a good setup. The 105's can be great instruments and would be a big jump for a 505.

I hope JBovier is a solid choice, as I just purchased a 2015 JBovier F5T+ Custom Shop. I've never played a JB, but they certainly get glowing reviews here.

I've only played mandolin for a hair over a year. It just seemed time to graduate from my 1st Gen Breedlove Crossover. I love that mandolin, but having played with another picker recently, I can say that the Crossover sounds like a toy compared to a higher dollar mandolin. The F5T should arrive Thursday. I can't wait.

Congratulations on your new mandolin, and here's to many moons of happy playing!!!

Payton

fishing with my mando darrylicshon's Avatar

Congrats i hope you like it as much as i like mine
    Ibanez 70's 524, 521, 3 511's,2 512's,513,1 514,3 80s 513's, 522
    J Bovier F5-T custom shop
    Kiso Suzuki V900,
    The Loar lm600 Cherryburst
    morgan monroe mms-5wc,ovation
    Michael Kelly Octave Mandolin
    Emandos Northfield octave tele 4, Northfield custom jem octave mandolin 5 octave strat 8
    2 Flying v 8, octave 5, Exploryer octave 8 20"
    Fender mandostrat 4,3 Epip mandobird 2,4/8, Kentucky. KM300E Eastwood mandocaster
    Gold Tone F6,Badaax doubleneck 8/6

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    Congrats i hope you like it as much as i like mine
    I'm loving it! I decided to pour a little more $ into it. I took it to Dan Voight of Voight Mandolins for a setup and fret level. When I got the JB, it didn't sound that good. You could hear the potential, but it wasn't quite perfect. It had Elixir 10s when I dropped it off, and per Dan's suggestion it had EXP74CMs when I got it back from him. That set up made a HUGE difference!

I just dropped by Gruhn's and bought a Tone Gard. This thing is a monster now! I'd put it up against any Collings I've ever played. The sustain, clarity, and volume all increased and the sound is truly inspiring

I am a Kentucky fan. That said, I spent a good chunk of a day with the 2016 JBovier mandolins this last February. They were somewhere between surprising and outstanding. I tried to buy one, but at that time Jeff had only prototypes. Other years of those are good, but if the '16s with their revisions are out there, they were great.