Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tell me about your Gibson A5L mandolin.....

Default Re: Tell me about your Gibson A5L mandolin.....

In regards to the Kentucky VS the Gibson... I had a KM950, and it had nearly flawless playability, but to be honest, the treble end was weak compared to my Collings and my Gibson. I like/need a mandolin that cuts hard in a jam setting, and the Gibson is much stronger. The Collings is definitely king when it comes to cut, but I still like the Gibson tone... I'm glad I have both. The Gibson is still new-ish though and isn't as broken in as the Collings which got played daily for many years. The Gibson tone is definitely cleaner and more refined than the Collings. Gibson has less sustain, and more note definition, the Collings is louder and more resonant with more sustain. Gibson is more refined, more delicate tonally speaking; and the Collings is brash and bold and beastly loud, while still holding a complex tone.

(apologies to the OP, I know that had nothing to do with your original question. Enjoy that A5! I bet it'll be a lifetime mandolin! A real keeper! )
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

2. The following members say thank you to 9lbShellhamer for this post:

8 days in, and this mandolin is magical. I'd say that there is a such thing as THE A-5L sound...and I like it fine.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fernmando For This Useful Post:

I have an exceptional KM900, and though it's exceptional, it's no match for the A-5L in tone and power. KM900 is the best in its price range, and sounds like much more money, but this Gibson is in another league.

6. The following members say thank you to fernmando for this post:

Great to hear! Would love a sound clip! Enjoy it!
    *2002 Collings MT2
    *2016 Gibson F5 Custom
    *Martin D18
    *Deering Sierra

Just an update...26 months later and I am still happy with the A5-L. I would bet that it wasn't played much in it's first 27 years of life, as it has really opened up a lot. It isn't the best sounding solo mando I have played, but it is the best sounding ensemble mando I've owned. Many have asked what it was, and advised me to "hold on to it".
    2019 Duff A-5 #246
    1964 Martin A

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fernmando For This Useful Post:

Hi Danny. I'm in Uk. Piece of information would help please if you don't mind. It;s re Nut width on Gibson A-5Ls. Do you now if the Carlson era or even later Gibson A-5Ls had wider nut width.

I;m sort of interested in a Gibson A-5L but prefer the older shape and wider nut.

Any info appreciated.

Best regards and thanks

Jimmy Powells

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    Hi Danny. I'm in Uk. Piece of information would help please if you don't mind. It;s re Nut width on Gibson A-5Ls. Do you now if the Carlson era or even later Gibson A-5Ls had wider nut width.

I;m sort of interested in a Gibson A-5L but prefer the older shape and wider nut.

Any info appreciated.

Best regards and thanks

Jimmy Powells
    Hi Jimmy,

My '92 Carlson signed A5-L has a 1 1/4" nut width and a rounder profile. It feels stouter in hand than my 50s era Gibson F-12.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

I've just bought a 1990 Gibson A-5L signed by Steve Carlson and really disappointed in the sound. I've experience of excellent Steve Carlson instruments before and I normally can get the best out of any instrument but it seems overbuilt.

I recently had a Summit A-5 which was fantastic but always fancied the Gibson A-5L. Neck is straight , top is good. I've tried a couple of bridges but the mandolin seems a bit heavy which seems odd.

I guess it is true that every instrument can be a little different. I have a '92 Carlson A5L that was a lucky find, a bargain, and sounds fantastic. So I added an '88 F5L, all original, and it was ok, but it didn't ring my chimes quite the same same way.

Hi Len.Sorry I missed your reply before. I must say that 1 and 1/4 inch nut is really wide. As you can see below I've bought a poor one. I'll maybe take some of the lacquer off. The bridge is moving easily on the lacquer which never like. I prefer it almost straight on the wood.