Thread: Speaker vs amplifier

Question Speaker vs amplifier

If I need to increase the sound of my mandolin, do I need an amplifier/speaker or both?

Sorry I don't understand how sound system works

Default Re: Speaker vs amplifier

You need some a pickup or microphone and an amplifier (strictly a speaker too, but they are generally sold in one box, which is probably what you want.)

Tell us why you need more volume, gig, session?

Yes, to play in a small hall either solo and/or with 1-2 more musicians/vocals max.

What specs do I need to check while buying speaker+amp combo? Just wattage or anything else?

For microphone, should I get a dynamic or condenser (hope got terms right) mic?

Aside from wattage you need to be sure it's an 'acoustic' amp, one for an electric guitar won't work well. Others are more knowledgeable than me, but I use a dynamic mic. for vocals and piezo pickups for the instruments.

I made the decision to start at the cheaper end of things and upgrade to higher quality as I felt the need and learnt more about what I actually wanted and needed.

As a group what we have done now was to buy a 2nd hand P.A. -mainly because we were getting a silly number of amps when we played out and there was no easy way of balancing different instruments and voices.

Is this item going to fulfill my need?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ROCKET-GA10.../dp/B00JG0XJGC

I think one of our fiddlers uses the Stagg badged version and it's OK in our practice room, but I don't think it would cut the mustard in a hall unless it's just you and no audience.

I use a 40W amp and another chap uses a 60W AER, (which is a very nice amp, but 20 times the price.) we played a care home hall and were loud enough, but it was a small quiet audience, except for the ones we gave tambourines to.

I guess a rule of thumb is to get more power than you think you need, you don't have to turn it all the way up to 11, and acoustic amps will sound better if they aren't straining.

I haven't used one, so it's not a recommendation, but a lot of people seem to like Fishman amps such as http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005G2R34S

If you get the chance I'd borrow an amp and see how it goes.

i like the loudbox artist

Loudbox is bit pricier compared to my budget.

Will this one help?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qtx-178-843.../dp/B004CYZQX6

Quote Originally Posted by mobi View Post
    Yes, to play in a small hall either solo and/or with 1-2 more musicians/vocals max.

What specs do I need to check while buying speaker+amp combo? Just wattage or anything else?

For microphone, should I get a dynamic or condenser (hope got terms right) mic?
    You will have to amplify the other instruments and the vocals as well. So why not run all that and your Mandolin through a small mixer and small PA speakers? Maybe you already have these?

Electric guitars (and solid body electric mandolins) need an amplifier as this is an important sound defining element. Accoustic instruments usually don't.

Good results can be achieved with a stand mount small diaphragm condensor or a clip on mic for the mandolin.

Sorry I don't understand how sound system works
    There are basically two ways to pick up your mandolin:
    1: a ( built in or externally attatched) pickup
    2: a (dynamic or condenser)microphone, either on a stand or as a clip with a small gooseneck.

Both with theit advantages and drawbacks. A pickup is safer against feedback ad might be amplified louder but the sound quality (if you're after the original sound of your instrument) is way behind that of a microphone. The mike will give you a much better reproduction of your sound but can be problematic in an acoustially difficult environment.

In both cases you might need an amp(including speaker) with appropriate inputs. A pickup needs (what they call) a high impedance input. Most "acoustic" amps provide that, all regular guitar amps not. If the input impedance Is too low, your pickup sound will be harsh and tinny. A microphone input is different again. If you use a condenser mic, it has to provide "phantom power" to feed the condenser mic's internal electronics. Again, input imp. And mic gain are crucial. This goes as well for a guit amp as for the portable active speaker in your second post.

Among acoustic amps, Fishman, AER, Schertler, Roland, Acus are a safe bet but way more expensive than your find on amazon.
    Take an evening to search the forum for acoustic amps, pickups, microphones. There are many friendly forumites with profound knowledge around.

Hope that helps for a start...

Edit:+1 to some very good advice from Bauzl above!

More I search more I get confused

I need a solution which will work as (not at the same time, of course)

1. Playing solo acoustic mandolin
    2. A Public Announcement System

Can I buy a single system for above needs or I need separate systems?

Let's assume I don't need sound mixer right now.

So what I feel (please correct me if I'm wrong) I need is

An amplifier/speaker combo
    Suitable microphone which can serve both as mandolin input and PA system input

What kind of microphone will be suitable both as mandolin input and PA input? The Shure models are too pricey, I am looking for something cheaper.

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm afraid there is no "buy this and you're covered" answer.

To find a solution, could you please specify your demands a little more precisely:
    1: I assume your mandolin has no pickup
    2: If you want to play with an small ensemble, are they amplified already or will your system have to do the job?
    3: How portable will it have to be? (Car/train/bike?)
    4: most important- What is your price range?

If I get your last post right, I'd recommend buying a small active (powered) pa speaker and a small mixer that can handle the input department. There are some active speakers that have a mic input already like the QSC K8 or K10, but ,again, maybe out of your range. There are quite some usable microphones in the lower price range, as well.

With a little more detailled infos, I am sure others will chime in with some helpful tips...

Loudbox is bit pricier compared to my budget.

Will this one help?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Qtx-178-843.../dp/B004CYZQX6
    You probably could use that, I am not sure what the sound quality would be like for the mandolin, but you could get a better mic later on and plug in a small mixer if you had the need.

Might be worth checking out the returns policy, it could be that you can try it out and return it if it doesn't do what you want.

To find a solution, could you please specify your demands a little more precisely:
    1: I assume your mandolin has no pickup
    2: If you want to play with an small ensemble, are they amplified already or will your system have to do the job?
    3: How portable will it have to be? (Car/train/bike?)
    4: most important- What is your price range?
    1. Correct. Mine is Kentucky KM150 mandolin with no pickup.
    2. No, mine needs to do the job.
    3. Car only - never going to be transported via train/bike. Also, assume mains electric will be always available.
    4. Ideally below £200

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I understand that you're looking at the need for the source (mic/pickup) for your instrument, and the output (amp/pa). You also want that output device to handle a vocal mic as well as your mandolin. A European purchase is preferred. That said,

1. There is a Baggs Radius (no listed price) in the Cafe Classifieds looking for an EU buyer. NFI on my part.

2. This Laney LA 35C (for £174.00 here; nfi) gives you two inputs for mic and instrument, each accepting either 1/4" RCA or XLR format.
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

Quote Originally Posted by pit lenz View Post

If I get your last post right, I'd recommend buying a small active (powered) pa speaker and a small mixer that can handle the input department. There are some active speakers that have a mic input already like the QSC K8 or K10, but ,again, maybe out of your range. There are quite some usable microphones in the lower price range, as well.
    This is what I came by to say. There's some confusion over terms, and I stand to be corrected on technical language, but a general principle is:

1. If you need to speak/sing through your system via a microphone, then you're going to need a "speaker" rather than an "amplifier."

2. A general rule that follows from point 1 is that you will need a "speaker" that has an "xlr" input for your microphone cable. Most "guitar amps" only have 1/4" cable inputs.

3. I would agree that buying a small active (powered) speaker with a decent entry-level microphone is your most advisable route.

You can see that a powered speaker like this one has a control panel on the back with both xlr and 1/4" inputs.

We ran a 4-piece bluegrass ensemble, instruments and vocals, off of this exact microphone for 2 years. The only thing you need to make sure of if you use a condenser microphone is that you can supply "phantom power" to the microphone - this is a characteristic that needs to be provided by the powered speaker, or by an amp connected to the speaker.

What did I forget to mention?
    Last edited by KyleG_MandolinMuse; Aug-25-2016 at 11:24am. Reason: Spelling

be aware that xlr does not automatically mean mic input sensitivity but is just a line input (higher level required) if not specified otherwise...

18. The following members say thank you to pit lenz for this post:

Do you know the venues you will be playing and what, if any, equipment they provide? If they have a PA system you may not need anything except perhaps your choice of microphone. If they have a backline that includes an electric guitar amp or you have access to a guitar amp, you could get a piezo type pickup and a pre-amp. This would be much less expensive than a complete set up.

Microphone (or a Pickup) turns air pressure waves (or sound board vibrations )
    into an electric signal

and the amplifier increases the power of that electric signal,

which causes the magnet and coil of wire in the speaker

to re create the sound source , But Louder , by making the air pressure waves ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

21. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Blog Entries

Your budget ("under £200") is incredibly tight.... whatever you get for that kind of money invariably involves some compromises. To put this in perspective, a really good,pro-grade powered 10" speaker alone can cost 3 to 4X that amount by itself. If that really is the maximum budget, look at these:

10" Powered Speaker

https://www.thomann.de/gb/alto_tx10.htm

These little Alto's are very good value and sound respectable.

Mixer

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tmix_mix_1202fx.htm

This gives you a healthy 4 microphone inputs with usable EQ (aka "tone controls"). It also gives you some essential effects, such as reverb. Quality is OK. Basic - but good value. You connect one of the main outputs from this to the above speaker with a balanced XLR male on the speaker end and a balanced TRS ("stereo type") 1/4" jack on the mixer end. Like this:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cf...exlr_kabel.htm

If you don't mind losing the effects on the mixer you can save a few quid there...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tmix_mix_802_2.htm

Now... you just need a microphone (or two) and some cables and you are in business. Given your tight budget, you will not beat these:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/samson_q7.htm

That gets you there pretty much on budget.... well, about as close as possible while still getting decent sound out of it.

Of course... bigger budget, more flexibility and also higher quality stuff - but this little rig would sound respectable and you could gradually add to it or upgrade in due course.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

23. The following members say thank you to almeriastrings for this post:

I don't know exactly what you are doing but a powered speaker or acoustic amp and one entry level (read cheap) mic may be all you need to get started if you are just amplifying your Kentucky and announcing thru the same mic, you don't need a mixer. This would be very limited but the least expensive. We all have to start somewhere.

Blog Entries

Unless it for purely announcing purposes, I'd honestly not recommend using just a powered speaker and a microphone. Especially for any instrument amplification purposes - you really need that EQ, even if it is fairly basic, and you don't get any EQ (or even any metering) on the speakers alone. Also, the input gain range on the 'mic level' inputs of many of these speakers are fairly limited - and even a single or dual channel mixer (which hardly costs anything) will give you a lot more flexibility. For hardly any money at all even this would make things much more controllable than on a speaker + mic only.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_t_mix_mix_502.htm

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_xenyx_802.htm

I have heard the Alto speaker, by the way... really good value. There is a venue here that has some in use as floor monitors. On a super tight budget, they are a very good deal. They are not a QSC K10... but at around 5X less money, nothing to complain about.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.