Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to Classifieds users

Default Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

Scott, might be hard to code, but how about an "honor roll" that appears next to a seller's ID when a new classified is posted? This would somehow signify how many times the seller had made a contribution following prior (successful) sales. I think carrots work better than sticks in a voluntary forum. Also, I do believe within the forum we strive to recognize and do business with members in good standing, and a notation of honor would help us in that endeavor.

Many other ways to implement this, perhaps the periodically-renewed designation "Supporting Member" under one's ID in any post.

You have no way of knowing if a sale is concluded off the forum for a multiply-listed item, but you certainly do know if a seller sends you a contribution. Public recognition within the forum might make that seller someone I prefer to do business with, given alternatives. Finally, that designation is earned only by successful sellers, and that is also valuable information when considering a deal.

Scott, I agree with your view, especially from the entrepreneurial POV; there's no free lunch.

However, as a minor user of the classifieds [~6-8 transactions over 10 years, all satisfactory, not in the least part because of your diligence.] I would encourage an amateur class and a pro class, defined by uses per mo/year. Charge the pros, you know who they are, up front and let the minor players have their perk...I come to your site several time/day and I use the ads, and that gathers up clicks which you likely get compensated for, right?

Blog Entries

Thank you for your suggestions, but please read the previous comments before posting further. I'm on record several times now stating I am NOT looking, asking, nor interested in advice on how to run my business. The greatest issue has already been stated. It is easier to simply part ways with some long-time users that have been riding the free wave than by implementing some type of complicated system I have virtually no desire in and which would punish the greater community at large.

I realize this thread probably should have already died and been buried long ago, but thought I'd chime in anyway. I've got 3 instruments I plan on selling in the near future. I figured I'd probably post them here in the classifieds, which is where I originally bought 2 of them. Just to check out what the cost would be to put all 3 on consignment and avoid the hassle of selling myself, I called a well-known and respected Northern California shop to ask what the consignment fee would be. To my surprise, I was quoted a whopping 25%. 2 of the instruments should sell for around $3000 each, so that's $750 per instrument. Needless to say, I probably won't be going the consignment route. Makes me so thankful for the classifieds here on the Cafe and what a bargain it is to use the service.

5. The following members say thank you to Scott L for this post:

So now we're getting ads saying, "buyer pays the Cafe". Not sure if I should or
    Mandolins: The Loar LM-220; Lyon & Healy Special A #103; Epiphone Mandobird VIII
    Violins: 19th century German Steiner copy; NS Design WAV 4; NS Design WAV 5; Reiter Alien II 7-string
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ausdoerrt

Quote Originally Posted by Ausdoerrt View Post
    So now we're getting ads saying, "buyer pays the Cafe". Not sure if I should or
    You should report those ads to Scott. Buyer covering PayPal fees is probably as far as sellers should push it, methinks.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ah yes, here's that ad, right here:
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/102511#102511

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

This is absurd. For my part, should I ever purchase an instrument through this site (which is likely), I will confirm before the transaction that the seller will pay the fee, I will confirm that the buyer has a history of paying fees (assuming a volume seller), and I will check after the transaction to make sure the fee has in fact been paid and report to the community one way or the other. If I cant check these three boxes, there will be no deal involving me. This is my new policy.

10. The following members say thank you to KVee for this post:

well that's 2 down...

http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/102511#102511

Good god I've seen it all now - someone selling a $375 mandolin and they won't pay the $7.50 to the Cafe themselves for the courtesy of using the Classifieds? Try that on Reverb or Ebay mate and it won't get you very far!
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

13. The following members say thank you to Jill McAuley for this post:

A little math lesson:

1. Start with the amount you need to get for your mandolin.
    2. Divide that amount by 0.98.
    3. The result is the amount you need to charge.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrmando For This Useful Post:

KVeeNewKid 

This is the least expensive and most looked at site around period, well if it's not it should be.

It is the best one and I don't doubt that at all.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

17. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Good god I've seen it all now - someone selling a $375 mandolin and they won't pay the $7.50 to the Cafe themselves for the courtesy of using the Classifieds? Try that on Reverb or Ebay mate and it won't get you very far!
    That's unfortunate as that seems to be a nice Mid Mo at a good price. Sad!

Thank you for this Scott. I did buy and sell 1 mandolin on the cafe and didn't even realize that it was customary to give a portion of the proceeds to the web site. That makes total sense and I will be making a donation in the coming weeks. It's a wonderful place that I've been using since it first started back in the late 90s. Thanks for creating such a great resource for all of us mando nerds.

-Bill

confused but contented

Thanks Scott.
    Monk (aka Philip Montgomery)
    Weber f-style Buffalo Deluxe, Gibson F-5G (2016)
    National RM1 (2009), Burton tater bug (circa 1920)
    Taylor 810 Brazilian rosewood (1995)
    Taylor 710 12-fret slot head (2013)
    Taylor GS mini
    Martin HD-28 Custom (2001)
    Dobro HD33 resonator (1999)
    Stella-like parlor (circa 1936)

Scott, I do similar work as you and understand that really none of us can grasp the work you put into this. So for all the good support of the community as well as the not so good and even the nefarious sorts that you keep at bay.... we all owe you more than we can understand.

Historically, I think this site is one of the more notable (of all the billions). We all enjoy a remarkable effort from you and all who work with you.

I make a donation twice a year to Cafe whether I list or sell or not. It's a daily pleasure for me to use the Cafe and it's just wonderful in every way and I'd be a lot poorer without my Daily Cafe visits.

Having said that, I personally think that adverts should be paid for. Even just $5 and if anyone thinks that is not on then they are living in dreamland. Time is money and I would have no issue at all in paying for classified adverts.

Scott (and Dan) have made our lives so much fuller every day so whatever they think goes in my view.

Jimmy

UK

23. The following members say thank you to jimmy powells for this post:

Bravo!

Scott...

I want to thank you for all that you do for the community of Mandolin players and string players world wide... It has been for me simply an unbelieveable resource and I'm sure for many many others as well...so let's cut to the quick...I want to donate some dough...

Charlie Becker
    Portland Oregon...

I couldn't agree more with Scott. Decent people do decent things and finding an outlet like the Mandolin cafe to advertise to so many musicians is just brilliant. Taking advantage and just using it as a free load is pathetic.

I think everyone should give donations whether they advertise or not because it's not a monthly magazine at a cost. It is a daily update on what's happening workwide virtually with mandolin (and guitar) related items. I visit the cafe twice every single day and would be a poorer man without it.

Thanks as always Scott and Dan.

Jimmy Powells
    Uk

I'll say that I think this is well worded. I'm about to place my ever classified ad(s) and I hadn't yet read about the optional 2% contribution back to the site. I think it's a fine idea and should any items I post sell via Mandolin Cafe, I'll be sure to do exactly that. :D
    --
    Seth H Holmes
    http://www.mugwumps.com

Just adding a few cents here - - In the huge world of the internets there is no site comparable to the Cafe for mando-classifieds.
    If a big volume wheeler-dealer is taking advantage of what has been a labor of love for decades now, he's just breaking our covenant. Don't do it - - contribute, dude. On the other hand, that $1.00 sticker scam - - why, you're probably up to 1's of dollars of profit by now!
    Will Patton

29. The following members say thank you to Will Patton for this post:

As a point of order, do you just click the "make a donation" tab on the classified page or do you need to link the donation with your account?

I donated after my first sale (and have another one pending) but I'm not sure my paypal email is linked to my mandolin cafe identity.
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Leyda View Post
    As a point of order, do you just click the "make a donation" tab on the classified page or do you need to link the donation with your account?
    That's all that's necessary.

There is no type of connected relationship between the forum, Classifieds and your PayPal account.

32. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

Thank you Scott and Dan and anybody else involved in keeping this forum running! I know that you put in A LOT OF WORK that may not be noticed by some of us, but is appreciated by the majority, for sure. It is always a nice experience to buy or sell here and I make sure that I contribute when I sell, because I know the costs of running this is not free, and is a labor of love. I have bought some amazing instruments here, and it is a safe environment due to well-known musicians and excited players meeting and joining together on this forum. Where else can you end up trading your own album with David Grisman because he contacts you about a Swedish mandolin you have for sale? Support your local music store, and support the Mandolin Cafe folks! Thanks for the all the kind and generous work and contacts I have had over the years with you Scott, and with others here. all the best from Sweden, Bert
    2010 Giacomel J5 #86
    2019 David Šefl custom 2 point
    2008 National RM-1
    1941 National Style 0
    1968 Gibson EM-200

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bert Deivert For This Useful Post: