Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: An open letter to Classifieds users

bass player gone mando

Default Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

I haven't used MC to buy or sell, other than to buy from MC's advertisers. But the OP's position seems very fair to me, and I will say that if MC ran an annual campaign for modest donations from viewers, I'd contribute, as I think it's a great website.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Ludewig View Post
    What's not to understand or continue talking about?
    Do we dare risk leaving some nit unpicked? That's just not how this place rolls.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    Nail on the head! I had dinner last week with an acquaintance who spent the entire time telling me what I should be doing with my business. This guy has zero experience working in my field and has never run his own business before yet felt quite comfortable giving me a laundry list of things I should be doing (many of which were completely unrealistic and unrelated to the field I'm in and the one or two things that were applicable I'm already doing) I never solicited his opinion or advice but he waxed lyrical for over two hours.

Scott doesn't need to be told how to run his business - this fantastic website and community is testament to how well he runs it.
    Jill, I hope you enjoy your Collings Oval! Congratulations on your mandolin.
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

5. The following members say thank you to lflngpicker for this post:

Unless you read different points of view, your mind will eventually close, and you'll become a prisoner to a certain point of view that you'll never question.

Just for the record owned my own business,actually more than one, sold them and retired in my early 50's.Since I am the only one who offered advice I am guessing it was directed to me.
    Last edited by nickster60; Aug-27-2016 at 2:59pm.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster60 View Post
    Unless you read different points of view, your mind will eventually close, and you'll become a prisoner to a certain point of view that you'll never question.

Just for the record owned my own business,actually more than one, sold them and retired in my early 50's.Since I am the only one who offered advice I am guessing it was directed to me.
    Um, no it wasn't directed at you - quite a few people on this thread have had snippets of advice, my comment was merely about how Scott never asked any of us for advice regarding this. If I'd wanted to comment on anything you had said I would've hit reply with quote, which I didn't. No fight to pick here mate.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Everyone, just be merry and obsess over mandolins...

9. The following members say thank you to Demetrius for this post:

Just a comment, not looking for a fight.
    2% of a 6 figure bill, that I would fight about.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Just a comment, not looking for a fight.
    2% of a 6 figure bill, that I would fight about.
    I understand what you're thinking, but humbly disagree. Ebay charges more, is fraught with fraud. Any good dealer will charge minimum 15% for consignment. Craig's List? Not a prayer. If I sell a 100k instrument and only have to pay $2000 for helping me find a qualified, knowledgable buyer who gets what high-end instruments are all about, I'm thrilled at the bargain I just got.

Charlie you misinterpreted my comment. If someone has sold 100k and and hadn't paid their 2% I wouldn't be as gracious as Scott.

It's not about you, Nick. But please feel free to have the last word.

14. The following members say thank you to Eddie Sheehy for this post:

Thank You Eddie, I think I will.

"Well, I started Rock'n'Roll, so I guess I might as well finish it!"

-infamous quote by Jerry Lee Lewis when asked by Rolling Stone magazine what he thought of Guns N' Roses........

Damn,foiled by Jeff

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Charlie you misinterpreted my comment. If someone has sold 100k and and hadn't paid their 2% I wouldn't be as gracious as Scott.
    Ah! sorry for the misinterpretation, then.

vintagemandolin.com Charles Johnson's Avatar

I have a very expensive instrument on consignment with a well known vintage dealer. The fee for consignments over $100k is "only" 10%. The usual consignment fee at this store is 15-20%.

2% is a bargain.

Charles Johnson
    Mandolin World Headquarters, Inc.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Charles Johnson For This Useful Post:

Way to go Scott! Very well spoken and better late than whenever.
    mick meinsler

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Cech View Post
    I have sold a few small things and made one very good trade. Because they were small sales I never thought to make a donation, which would have been only pennies in each case. However, I will make a catch up donation after the first of the month and be happy to do it. Sometimes a letter such as this can inspire.
    I don't remember making a donation after a small sale a few years ago either, so now with my guilt out on my sleeve, I will be sure to 'catch up' too.
    Actually I probably owe you just for sharing all the eye candly...the mandolin classifieds is my homepage!
    Thanks for a great mandolin world headquarters, awesome job indeed
    Mark Kek
    There's just nothing like good healthy BPM

Blog Entries

I felt guilty. I only was trying to sell my banjo so I could try to climb out of the fiscal hole I'm in. I did just now, after reading this, donate $20. I wish I could afford more for the ad I placed, but I need to eat.

I'm sorry, and if I can get in a place where I can do more, believe me, I will. If $20 isn't sufficient, I will gladly cancel my ad and do what I can going forward.

The MC has been a great resource for me, and I'd hate knowing that I was taking away from others.
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

I confess to being not very observant, also to having sold a thing or two in the classifieds. Is there a way to remind me what I sold?

This site link sits right in the middle of my bookmarks bar because it is one of the best, most well run places on the internet. Over the years I have chipped in occasionally just to say thanks. I suspect I should do better.

Thanks for the reminder.
    Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
    Favorite Mandolin of the week: 2013 Collings MF Gloss top.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    I felt guilty. I only was trying to sell my banjo so I could try to climb out of the fiscal hole I'm in. I did just now, after reading this, donate $20. I wish I could afford more for the ad I placed, but I need to eat.
    Rob: the suggested donation is 2% of the selling price. I think from the ad I saw that you did fine with your donation.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

About 4 months ago this site helped me decide on a starter mandolin (Eastman 305). Then while browsing the classifieds a few weeks ago I found a very cool Big Muddy and bought it. More advice on the forums found me a great hard case for the Big Muddy (Saga Superior). Then last week I posted my Eastman and sold it within the day.

So per this thread, I should donate 2% of the $375 I got for the mandolin I sold. Lets see, that's a total of $7.50 for great advice on the forums, easy and trustworthy purchase of a very unique mandolin for me, and a super quick sale of my old mandolin.

Talk about bang for the buck...

Just donated $10 and worth every penny. Keep up the great work!

Scott,

I love your classified service, and use it often, both to find instruments, and to sell instruments. Normally, when I have something to sell, I list it simultaneously on Mandolin Cafe, eBay and Reverb. When it sells. I pull it from all sites, and pay the required commission to eBay or Reverb, or the requested commission to Mandolin Cafe, depending upon which site got me the sale. So, often, when I remove a listing, it is because it sold on a different site. Is this acceptable practice, in your eyes? I greatly value your service, and want to be certain that I am playing by the rules, and remain one of the "good guys".

Many thanks!

- Andy Marshall

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

I have never managed to sell via the café, but I hold my hand up to not fully realising about the donation.
    I'm so very glad I read this because I love this place and don't want to be seen to be taking advantage of it. Thank you Scott
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Marshall View Post
    Scott,

I love your classified service, and use it often, both to find instruments, and to sell instruments. Normally, when I have something to sell, I list it simultaneously on Mandolin Cafe, eBay and Reverb. When it sells. I pull it from all sites, and pay the required commission to eBay or Reverb, or the requested commission to Mandolin Cafe, depending upon which site got me the sale. So, often, when I remove a listing, it is because it sold on a different site. Is this acceptable practice, in your eyes? I greatly value your service, and want to be certain that I am playing by the rules, and remain one of the "good guys".

Many thanks!

- Andy Marshall
    Andy, you are not the problem.

My greatest concern is a handful of users that have been showing up month after month, year after year, and are now moving toward decade after decade with multiple hundreds of ad listings (thousands if you count old email addresses), hundreds of replies they've made to ads--and most mind boggling--multiples thousands of replies to their ads (cha-ching) and have never bothered to contribute a single penny, yet they see the suggested 2% donation every time they place, modify or remove an ad.

It's not difficult to discern who engages in this. I'm not out keeping daily tabs on every transaction trying to decide if an ad was removed because it sold somewhere else. There's not enough time for that level of attention.

I'd love to publicly recount the one story of the greatest abuser in the history of the Mandolin Cafe Classifieds, but won't. It's so far beyond mind boggling. That individual was ultimately showed the door due to their usual attempt to game me once they'd been singled out--didn't work. They took their business to Reverb with their 3.5% fee within the hour. My only regret, the door didn't hit their rear end hard enough on the way out.

Scott, I certainly would encourage you to strongly suggest to these folks that you have a handle on that they are on "probation". That you have given the slack, they have not responded by doing the right thing, and only have the transactions in front of them to put things right. You have the technology to understand who they are and what is going on, and you have the technology to prohibit them from abusing, rather than using.
    John D